Tannus Tyres?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I saw an advert today for Tannus airless tyres.

Has anyone tried them?, what's the ride like?.

Just thinking if they are a pretty good product it would be ideal for the back of my ebike.

https://tannus.co.uk/

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.cyclechat.net/search/142102/?q=Tannus&o=relevance

aren’t they a nightmare to fit and horrible to ride…even worse than M+ and more expensive :ohmy: guess it doesn’t matter what they feel like on an electric bike however

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
It cannot be any worse than fitting a moose to a motorcross rear wheel!.

I might try a back on my Carrera ebike conversion and go from there. Other than a spare split tube it would be a pain to do a puncture at side of the road.

They are dear but it's a long walk home!.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@ianrauk shared this link: https://veloballs.com/tannus-solid-tyres-review/
But @keithmac, I recommend you just do a search for "Tannus" across the fora. @Racing roadkill (an ex-Crab and self proclaimed SME; I think his name was Richard, but he didn't like his nickname so left us to it early in the COVID era after some self-righteous videos; I hope he's all right) famously had properly tried a pair of Tannus on one of his road bikes and was very positive about them, and was very positive about them, and was very positive about them.
I'd have thought they'd be a neat solution to the concern you have about a puncture in the rear tyre of an e-bike, without the disadvantages correctly described for a normal bike.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
It cannot be any worse than fitting a moose to a motorcross rear wheel!.

I might try a back on my Carrera ebike conversion and go from there. Other than a spare split tube it would be a pain to do a puncture at side of the road.

They are dear but it's a long walk home!.

I can't say I've ever tried that.

Are ebikes harder to replace flats on? Again, not something I've tried but I don't see how it would be any different to repairing a flat on a 'normal' bike?

Up to you at the end of the day, but I wouldn't recommend them based on the 20 or so miles I have done on them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't say I've ever tried that.

Are ebikes harder to replace flats on? Again, not something I've tried but I don't see how it would be any different to repairing a flat on a 'normal' bike?

Up to you at the end of the day, but I wouldn't recommend them based on the 20 or so miles I have done on them.
Has it got one of those weird dinner plate hub thingies that all the deliveroo yobs have around here on their derestricted ebikes?

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
No it's a Nuvinci 360 rear hub, I'm using it for work now and can see it being a bit of a chew to put an inner tube in..

I've heard really good and really bad reviews so hard to make my mind up. Fitting is irrelevant to me, if it's a pain then so be it but if it rides terrible then that's a different kettle of fish.

I'm ready for another set of tyres so now's the time to have a go imho.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Make sure you don't have any loose fillings if using those tyres :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No it's a Nuvinci 360 rear hub, I'm using it for work now and can see it being a bit of a chew to put an inner tube in..

I've heard really good and really bad reviews so hard to make my mind up. Fitting is irrelevant to me, if it's a pain then so be it but if it rides terrible then that's a different kettle of fish.

I'm ready for another set of tyres so now's the time to have a go imho.
I have read some posts on trike forums where some really liked them for peace of mind but they probably had sprung suspension to cushion the ride. I have a M+ on the rear of my trike and I would find fixing a flat a bit difficult by the roadside but I do not have sprung suspension so a bit wary.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well....

Fitting wise it was "interesting" to say the least :laugh:.

I have a 17.09 inside rim, the smallest Tannus locking pegs were too long, so had to modify 30+ with my Milwaulkee with Dremel collet adapter and diamond disk.

It says the pegs should be a snug fit which for my rim was 19.5mm. It also says you should aim for rim size + 3.5mm but that would have been impossible on my wheel.

It was a like for like replacement (26x1.75 off and back on again).

Getting the tyre on the rim was a bit of a palaver, ended up using straps to pull it over (this would be easier next time round). I'd like to lie but took over 2 hour's from start to finish.

Grip wise it was fine, no worries there.

It did spin slightly 3 times on the rim, but I think it was just bedding itself in, no chance of it rolling off.

Ride quality next... I run my tyres at 45 psi normally (a lot lower than most people), and have gotten accustomed to the comfort. The Tannus I fitted was classed as "Regular" or Medium.

With the weight of the Nexus hub it was just too hard over pot holes and bumps. Flat roads it was perfectly acceptable but hitting bumps it felt like the wheel was taking some hammer.

I've given it a couple of weeks and tried to like it but tonight I've gone back to my normal tyre and tube (Continental), at a luxury 45psi..

Demounting the tyre without damaging it is a bit of a task but I managed it, take you time and it can be done (was loathe to cutting it off!)

Maybe I should have bought the Soft compound, who knows?, but I'm glad I've given them a go and to be honest I'm amazed how much shock a tyre soaks up.

So it's been a learning experience if nothing else.

Top Bottom