Tapping out a Rumba beat...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calibanzwei

Morning all,
My Dawes hybrid has developed a loud tapping (as apposed to clicking) from the rear wheel; the indexing works smoothly but in having the wheel off yesterday I discovered a small amount of lateral play in the cassette - is this normal?
The tapping is fairly quick, maybe 3-4 times per pedal revolution, hence the rumba beat comparison.

Not sure what else you'll need from me - ask away!

Cheers all

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Morning all,
My Dawes hybrid has developed a loud tapping (as apposed to clicking) from the rear wheel; the indexing works smoothly but in having the wheel off yesterday I discovered a small amount of lateral play in the cassette - is this normal?
The tapping is fairly quick, maybe 3-4 times per pedal revolution, hence the rumba beat comparison.

Not sure what else you'll need from me - ask away!

Cheers all

Lateral play is not good. I would suggest talking it off, cleaning the hub and refitting. If there is still play I would seek advice from the LBS.

OP
OP
calibanzwei

calibanzwei

Pah, somehow knew that this wasn't going to be something simple - research shows that its a freewheel, not cassette :biggrin: , a Shimano MF TZ31 7speed.
This will require tools I'm currently lacking - guess I'll be purchasing the Shimano toolkit at the end of the month.

OP
OP
calibanzwei

calibanzwei

So lets see if I have this right:
- obtain a Shimano FR1 freewheel remover
- clean and regrease the threads on hub/freewheel
- re-attach

That it?

Zoiders

If it's not the axle and cones/hubs that are loose then leave it alone.

Freewheels don't as a rule just unscrew them self, you have probably just worn the freewheel out, they aren't that well made any more and they dont last long, nearly all of them develop a small bit of play and most have an amount of "float" from new that can be seen as you freewheel and it's not something that can be fixed.

Ride it into the ground and replace it when it dies.

OP
OP
calibanzwei

calibanzwei

If it's not the axle and cones/hubs that are loose then leave it alone.

Freewheels don't as a rule just unscrew them self, you have probably just worn the freewheel out, they aren't that well made any more and they dont last long, nearly all of them develop a small bit of play and most have an amount of "float" from new that can be seen as you freewheel and it's not something that can be fixed.

Ride it into the ground and replace it when it dies.

After only 800-900 miles? (Ridden hard since June) I'm going to have the axle apart tonight and re-grease anyhow, as well as give the rear mech a damn good clean and re-index once I'm done.

Zoiders

After only 800-900 miles? (Ridden hard since June) I'm going to have the axle apart tonight and re-grease anyhow, as well as give the rear mech a damn good clean and re-index once I'm done.
They arent what they used to be, they will maybe live as long as the chain.

They aren't intended to see serious miles anymore and they will get baggy very quickly - they are aimed at leisure riding as in a gentle pootle on a weekend, not getting hammered day in day out in all weathers on the commute.

The float though, the constant movement of the sprockets on their carrier as the bike freewheels - even the pricey ones used to do that and it can create a rythmic ticking sound.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
They arent what they used to be, they will maybe live as long as the chain.

They aren't intended to see serious miles anymore and they will get baggy very quickly - they are aimed at leisure riding.

The float though, the constant movement of the sprockets on their carrier as the bike freewheels - even the pricey ones used to do that and it can create a rythmic ticking sound.

I'm sorry but that is rubbish. Just talked to my LBS (guy has 30+ years experience) and his words were "whoever told you that doesn't know his arse from his elbow". Sounds about right to me.

OP
OP
calibanzwei

calibanzwei

Sorry, didnt say - this isn't when freewheeling but when pedaling under load. Not ticking, but a tapping that can be felt through the frame - at first I thought it may have been the BB until a friend cycled alongside and confirmed it was coming from the rear.

Zoiders

I'm sorry but that is rubbish. Just talked to my LBS (guy has 30+ years experience) and his words were "whoever told you that doesn't know his arse from his elbow". Sounds about right to me.
What you just rushed out to ask?

Stop lying.

Cheapy freewheels are bad ju-ju.

So I suggest you stop talking out of your arse.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Alright, pi$$ing contest aside lads i can in fact confirm the noise is the freewheel.

we had the wheel axle out and then had a bit of hell getting it back together as we'd overtightened it, needed a grease too, but we wanted to see if we could get the freewheel off guess not without the correct tool. still, you learn by fiddling.

Anyways there is some play in the freewheel which on a £350 dawes we shouldn't be seeing even at 800 miles.
mines a dawes mojave and i've done 720mi on mine (we got our bikes at the same time), i've got the same freewheel and none of the knocking so i doubt its because they're only for light use, they're designed as entry tourers rather then leisure bikes.
pete

Zoiders

There is a modern device called a telephone. I was talking to the owner when I saw the mess age and asked him about it. By your reconing a 7 speed frew wheel will last about 2 months ffs.
Now you are lying again.

Cheapy screw on's - hammer them enough they will fail.

It can be winter riding, wet riding, it can be lengthy use, it can 900 miles in a short period, it can be pushing really big gears if you are a bit of a monster - his hasn't failed yet but it's on it's way.

Simply screwing it back on again isn't going to remove the play, it's already wellied on like buggery from being ridden so I suggest you wind your neck in.

Well done for lying and trying to make another knowledge thread into a flame war.

Top Bottom