Taster at Manchester Velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What an amazing evening! Took me a little while to get used to the 'keep pedalling' thing, but really took to the track and the bike well.

The majority of the other cyclists were just pootling around or not of a very high fitness level, so I was soaring around the track overtaking everyone. I was even going up to the top of the banking!

This session hasnt gone towards my accreditation but the 2 hours sesh in February will.

In all I really enjoyed the track and apart from getting very hot, felt comfortable going up to the top and picking up speed with the knowledge of not having any brakes. Brill day!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Did you get a thrown out of the seat moment? scared the crap out of me the first time it happened to me.

colly

Re member eR
What an amazing evening! Took me a little while to get used to the 'keep pedalling' thing, but really took to the track and the bike well.

The majority of the other cyclists were just pootling around or not of a very high fitness level, so I was soaring around the track overtaking everyone. I was even going up to the top of the banking!

This session hasnt gone towards my accreditation but the 2 hours sesh in February will.

In all I really enjoyed the track and apart from getting very hot, felt comfortable going up to the top and picking up speed with the knowledge of not having any brakes. Brill day!

Isn't it odd how just going round and round on a bike can be so much fun.^_^ See you in Feb.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Isn't it odd how just going round and round on a bike can be so much fun.^_^ See you in Feb.
Yes, the problem is when someone is in front of you though! :angry:

A guy did fall off near the end though, had to avoid the bike. He seemed okay but he ruined the track (scratches and marks). I believe he went into the back of someone. Good to see he was fine after. :B)

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Did you get a thrown out of the seat moment? scared the crap out of me the first time it happened to me.
A few times yes. I attempted to stand on the pedals and accellerate hard but I felt the front wheel slipping so remained in the seat. I dont think the track is designed for someone of my weight to accellerate hard.

I have got the technique of slowing down though, resist the pedalling a little.

SBaxter

Matt,

I was on the SQT after the taster session! As I was waiting I heard a clatter on the far bend and saw a rider slide a bit! And your right he scratched the track a bit!

Glad you enjoyed it! Working through your slips can be fun...

I would recommend you book all your sessions in advance at this time of year, otherwise you will get a slip then have to wait over a month for your next session and you can easily loose the confidence on the track within a couple of weeks! I ride every Saturday or Sunday and can tell when I miss a week.

Once you are accredited getting on the track is easy for the SQTs hardly need to book but I found getting through the slips took forever because of most sessions being full months in advance.

Hope that helps and see you on the track :smile:

Scott

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Thanks SBaxter

I am going to try and go on as many forum rides as possible as they are 2 hours long. If you had noticed me then we could have had a little chat. The riders after my group looked quite feirce and they all had thousand pound bikes!

SBaxter

Don't be fooled by the bikes! All the gear and no idea can be said for some :smile:

The forum rides will be great for getting used to the track! 2 hrs is a great workout as well, you can cover a fair few miles without the worry of wind or rain! ;)

I am there most Sunday sqt's so if your there give me a shout, I am the tall skinny guy with big spikey hair normally wearing nalani gear.

Paul_L

Über Member

Great stuff. I can't wait for my taster session now on Thursday 16th Feb. Shame about the CC session on the 18th. Can't see me getting a pass out to enter Lancashire so soon after an enemy mission two days before ;)

So, how's the session works if you don't mind me asking. What do they get you doing and is there any competition or TT towards the end or are you basically left to cycle round as fast / slow as many times as you like?

SBaxter

Paul,

Taster session set up is as you say you get given a bit of coaching at the beginning to get up onto the boards and then you are pretty much left to it to get used to the track..

Hope you enjoy!

Top Bottom