Taster at Manchester Velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Yes Paul,

The session are basically as Baxter said. You are told how to go on the different coloured lines and at what speed you should be doing. They normally yell at you when you need to move up a board. From then on they will keep an eye on everyone and ensure noone gets into any trouble or does anything they shouldnt (like undertake like me). It is entirely up to you.

After I had a little chat with the coach, he told me to try doing a few laps just using the outside of the track and going up to the very top. I was already doing this but only to pass people.

Just have a fun time and remember that it is a taster and you dont have to go for the accreditation straight away.

KINGCUTTER

Matthew who was your coach on the day by the way

Paul_L

Über Member
I did my first taster session last night.

A truely fantastic experience and have been buzzing ever since. I went with a group from work and we had the full session to ourselves. All of us are cyclists and i think we all tried to out do each other.

The first couple of laps when you go between the lowest two lines was a bit nerve racking and there was a couple of times i had to bail out and drop to the light blue section. But within a few laps that was sorted and by the end of the session i was perfectly comfortable riding above the adverts. A few times tried to ride right at the top but kept losing momentum going up the climb and had to drop back down to pick up speed.This was quite into the session so i was begining to get knackered by then.

Gonna book up again soon and this time try and get my blue slip.

Really, just cannot recommend this highly enough and i cannot wait to do it again.

Chutzpah

Über Member
We hopefully have a work trip going next month, or in May. Never ridden a fixie before so that will be interesting!

There will be a real mix when we go - a couple of regular cyclists, including one who does some amateur racing, some who don't cycle but do keep fit in other ways, and some who don't really do much! Will be interesting....

I'm confident enough about my general fitness levels, but interested to see how I adjust to not having a freewheel... or brakes...

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm confident enough about my general fitness levels, but interested to see how I adjust to not having a freewheel... or brakes...
TBH it isnt much different to a road bike, you just have to plan ahead so that you are not caught out (by an emergency stop) and remember to not freewheel.
You will get used to it over the 1 or 2 hours you have riding.

Ethan

Damn it, Im gutted I missed the ride with you lot!
I'll be booking a taster then Im going to go on and do the accreditation. I cant wait!
Im trying to convince my friends to come along, Im a bit apprehensive about doing it my self. I get the feeling I'll either take to it very well or be completely crap.
If its the later, someone to share the embarrassment with would be ideal :blush:

I'll keep a sharper eye out for group rides on here next time.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Still having a problem finding a velodrome in NE... any clues?
Just found list on Wikipedia... none in NE apart from...

"Gypsies Green Velodrome in South Shields (semi-derelict)"

Last known picture but not clear if it's still there... talk of it being sold for a hotel site.
Gypsiesgreen.jpg

colly

Re member eR
Just a reminder if anyone is up for a spin on the boards at Manchester:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/manchester-track-june-july.99724/

Paul_L

Über Member
I'll look up those dates Colly and reply on that thread.

Had another taster session tonight and came away a blue slip rider!! Chuffed to bits with that, and ready to book up for the taster improver session. Loved the riding in a line session on the blue line. Was a real buzz, and could have happily ridden like that for the full hour. We were 4 and there was 12 others on the track, and occasionally this led to some navigational problems but we held it together and did the business!

Lynnderella

Still having a problem finding a velodrome in NE... any clues?
Just found list on Wikipedia... none in NE apart from...

"Gypsies Green Velodrome in South Shields (semi-derelict)"

Last known picture but not clear if it's still there... talk of it being sold for a hotel site.
Gypsiesgreen.jpg
Gypsies Green velodrome is still there, and is hosting a cyclocross event on 23 rd December. There is a group of cyclists trying to get the track restored to its former splendor, as its the only one in the NE.

Top Bottom