"Taxi ran down cyclist on purpose"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

Tharg2007 said:
why cant they use these terrorism laws that they abuse all the time against this idiot, using a vehicle as a terrorist weapon should be an offense in its own right after 9/11 and that airport gas cylinder attack. He tried to kill and terrorise the cyclist so he is a terrorist!!!

in Israel they get shot, everyone seems to havea gun out there. mind you, he was driving a JCB and not a taxi

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I see your point:

if he did make an obscene gesture it could have been (however wrongly) the motivating factor for the assault. Of course whether or not the rider did give an obscene gesture doesn't make the slightest difference about how the psycho taxi-driver should be dealt with -or how it justifies his actions.

But it could make a difference in terms of identifying behaviour from a cyclist's point of view that may aggravate or escalate situations.

col said:
I think it does matter,here is a case that possibly could have happened because of it.I didnt realise you shouldnt kill someone for obscene gestures was in the highway code?

col said:
I think it does matter,here is a case that possibly could have happened because of it.I didnt realise you shouldnt kill someone for obscene gestures was in the highway code?

No. Driving a taxi at someone can not be caused by someone else making any sort of gesture. It can only happen if the driver decides to do it. Stop your trolling col.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Logically I'm not so sure.

Taking an example from our school days, you could walk by the biggest baddest person (you know, the sort whose shoulders could block out the sun and even the local police were afraid of) and nothing happens.

Next time you walk by, you declare loudly he smells of bad fish, has the intelligence of a newt and likes dressing up in girl's clothes. You know what is going to happen next.....

In the above, logically nothing has changed between the two scenarios -except you getting badly duffed up after *you* remarked about his odour, dressing preferences and intelligence. The variable that changed was your behaviour.

So I do see that a cyclist's reaction can be a contributory "cause" -though it most certainly does not justify nor excuse in any way an inappropriate reaction.

magnatom said:
No. Driving a taxi at someone can not be caused by someone else making any sort of gesture. It can only happen if the driver decides to do it. Stop your trolling col.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
col said:
I didnt realise you shouldnt kill someone for obscene gestures was in the highway code?
Rules 144 and 146 would seem to cover it, don't you think?

Again my question/outburst is;

In response to
Col said:
I wonder if he did do an obscene gesture?
For christ's sake Col, does that mean you can drive 3 tons of metal at someone with impunity?

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:

Stop being a numpty mag.I dont dissagree about him being dealt with,but the cyclist might not have had the incident if he hadnt gestured.Its all about self preservation,we all know the taxi is in the wrong,but it prove s that this could be the outcame of winding idiots up.
If you cant see that,then carry on,and report here when you do have something similar happen,thats if your able;)

col

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Rules 144 and 146 would seem to cover it, don't you think?

Again my question/outburst is;

In response to
For christ's sake Col, does that mean you can drive 3 tons of metal at someone with impunity?

Ill give you three guesses:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nigeyy said:
Next time you walk by, you declare loudly he smells of bad fish, has the intelligence of a newt and likes dressing up in girl's clothes. You know what is going to happen next.....

In the above, logically nothing has changed between the two scenarios -except you getting badly duffed up after *you* remarked about his odour, dressing preferences and intelligence. The variable that changed was your behaviour.

So I do see that a cyclist's reaction can be a contributory "cause" -though it most certainly does not justify nor excuse in any way an inappropriate reaction.
Your analogy is flawed. The cab driver endangered the cyclist's life with a stupid overtake, the cyclist reacted to that, and the cab driver then tried to finish the job.

So to go back to the analogy again, the big fella has to do something along the lines of swinging an axe at you that misses by inches, to which you object, at which point he tries to cut you into tiny bits with the axe. And then says it was all your fault because he left plenty of room to miss you with the first swing.

alp1950

:ohmy:Jeez that's my commute route.

Just as well there was a decent minded witness. With his testimony that the driver had a second go I think there is every chance of a driving ban. Doubt that there will be a custodial sentence however. I suspect that the maximum we could expect would be a suspended sentence- unless the driver has previous form. Sadly there is just so much casual violence with knives, bottles etc that the Sheriff Courts only seem to treat assault seriously if there is a fatal outcome or at least a serious injury.

However sentencing has been deferred for a month. I never understand why sentencing is deferred so often. Perhaps in this case it is to give the Sheriff the opportunity to consult with the Crown Office. It could be that the Sheriff recognises that this is more than a routine assault & that there might be wider public issues which could impact on the sentence...

...which does give the opportunity to mobilise some public opinion....letter writing campaign to the Herald & Scotsman anyone? Or even the Scottish Parliament. Or perhaps SPOKES (is there a Glasgow equivalent?) should be pressing for appropriate punishment?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
col said:
Stop being a numpty mag.....
Whoa there, you're not exactly practising what you're preaching here. Surely mag's post deserved a weary sigh before clicking away to 'Know How', but you can't ..... seem ..... to.... let...... it ....... lie.

col

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Why not just answer the sodding question then, instead of being snidey about the highway code, col old boy?

I cant believe you asked such a stupid question,and i wont rise to your bait.:rolleyes: monk old boy:biggrin:
A good point made is where you are walking and someone bumps into you,you dont give them obscene gestures or call them names,why? because it could be unsafe as your face to face with no way to escape if things go bad.The last thing you expect of a driver is to run you down,well it could happen,and this shows its possible if you do certain things in retaliation for mistakes or stupidity.So instead of arguing about me saying it causes more trouble than its worth,why not just not do it?Iv no doubt you will put an argument forward that in some strange way will hint that it is ok to do;)

col

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
Whoa there, you're not exactly practising what you're preaching here. Surely mag's post deserved a weary sigh before clicking away to 'Know How', but you can't ..... seem ..... to.... let...... it ....... lie.

Like iv said before Bolo,ill react the same way they treat me,he is saying im trolling,which im not,although i think they know that,just no one wants to agree that winding a driver up could get you hurt,or none of the usual names will :rolleyes:

Top Bottom