TdF stages 1 and 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't spot Strines - I thought they were sticking on the main roads into Sheffield!

Very excitable reporting on 'Look North' just now ...

Apparently, stage 1 ( 'Seven abbeys and seven castles') is designed to be a sprinter's stage, and who could possibly be getting the yellow jersey that day ...? :whistle::thumbsup:

Stage 2, a 'shorter version of Liège-Bastogne-Liège'! I'll plot the route later and stick a profile up for y'all.

ColinJ

So they mean the a6033 not the b6133?

I'll settle for "the beast" to see if they can climb faster than me...:smile:
The B6133 goes through Normanton near Wakefield!

Yes, the A6033, with a Haworth, Stanbury, Penistone Hill, Oxenhope detour on the way.

Chrisc

Guru
I didn't spot Strines - I thought they were sticking on the main roads into Sheffield!

Very excitable reporting on 'Look North' just now ...

Apparently, stage 1 ( 'Seven abbeys and seven castles') is designed to be a sprinter's stage, and who could possibly be getting the yellow jersey that day ...? :whistle::thumbsup:

Stage 2, a 'shorter version of Liège-Bastogne-Liège'! I'll plot the route later and stick a profile up for y'all.
It's only the first drop really, they've dipped out of the last two but it's also the easy direction. I liked the LBL reference. We know it's up and down all day don't we. Aren't there days when you'd kill for a few flat miles. :-)

ColinJ

It's only the first drop really, they've dipped out of the last two but it's also the easy direction. I liked the LBL reference. We know it's up and down all day don't we. Aren't there days when you'd kill for a few flat miles. :-)
I know it isn't the Alps but it will be up and down all day with some nasty steep little climbs and not a huge amount of flat so I think it could be a very exciting stage.

I'll see if someone can change the thread title because it isn't obvious what we are talking about!

Chrisc

Guru
I know it isn't the Alps but it will be up and down all day with some nasty steep little climbs and not a huge amount of flat so I think it could be a very exciting stage.

I'll see if someone can change the thread title because it isn't obvious what we are talking about!

Oh yes it'll be fun. There's not much rest is there! Have to ride the stage once I find out the exact route. Etape du Tour without the channel crossing!

ColinJ

Is 20 months too young to expect a child to enjoy watching the peleton as they fly past?
The trouble is that there is an awful lot of standing around, Jim. It's quite exciting for an adult to chat to other fans, watch the cavalcade go by and so on, and then there is a lot of noise and ... suddenly it is all over.

You have to get there hours early because of traffic jams and road closures.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Is 20 months too young to expect a child to enjoy watching the peleton as they fly past?

I took a 6 month old to watch the 2007 TDF in Kent, but as Colin says it is quite boring for the hour or so before and it's all over in a flash.
20 month olds tend to run around, moan and get bored where as 6 month olds just sit in their buggy.
Speaking as a keen father, you will enjoy it more if the 20 month old doesnt come with you.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Say goodbye to all your strava records folks
Excellent!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The trouble is that there is an awful lot of standing around, Jim. It's quite exciting for an adult to chat to other fans, watch the cavalcade go by and so on, and then there is a lot of noise and ... suddenly it is all over.

You have to get there hours early because of traffic jams and road closures.
:secret:

Kins

Über Member
Hope they don't have to stop for directions, they will need a translator! :laugh:

From the BBC : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21056721

Stage one - Saturday, 5 July

Leeds - Harewood - Otley - Ilkley - Skipton - Kettlewell - Aysgarth - Hawes - Reeth - Leyburn - Ripon - Harrogate
Stage two - Sunday, 6 July

York - Knaresborough - Silsden - Keighley - Haworth - Hebden Bridge - Elland - Huddersfield - Holmfirth - Sheffield
Stage three - Monday, 7 July

Cambridge - Epping Forest - the Olympic Park - the Mall

_65347074_stage-1-yorkshire-grand-depart.jpg

Top Bottom