TdF stages 1 and 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just out of interest I googled a couple of hotels in Glossop (about 8 miles from Holme Moss) and they still have rooms available. Certainly no discounts available (£75 at the Travelodge for example) but not sold out
In my day you were lucky if you slept in a cardboard box in Yorkshire ...!
Aye, true, but ... Glossop is in Derbyshire! :thumbsup:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Aye, true, but ... Glossop is in Derbyshire! :thumbsup:

Hence the price premium

claver58

Über Member
I'm trying to get a written list (not map image) of the route for Stages 1 & 2 to show the climbs and sprints. All I get is the visual images of the route that I already know. Would be grateful for a link. Booked just north of Skipton a year ago and drove there on Friday to judge where to watch. But now for Stage 2 - hence my query.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Is there anyone out there planning a kinda 'park & ride' type trip to stage 2 or any stage for that matter.

What I mean by that is - say parking say 10 - 15 miles out & doing a relaxed bimble in to the course.

My idea for example is to park 'early doors' on the edge of Greatest Manchester & cycle over the border through no-mans land & into an enemy ambush, I mean friendly neighbouring county.

If so, it might be an idea possibly (for those who would like to, to post up some meet & greet locations.

Those who plan to do the Moss or Hebden etc etc could do a kinda relaxed "we are going from here to here" type arrangement where if your there your welcome & if your not were gone sort of thing.

Does this sound like complete madness ?

It may be a topic for another thread ?

Thoughts guys/girls.

Kies

As above - anyone planning a park up and ride for stage 3 Cambridge to Pall Mall. Have booked the day off and plan to see.

suzeworld

Veteran
We are going up to scope out a few places tomorrow. We've seen lots of stages in France, but think the crowds here will be bigger, so we want to look at the 'park and ride' options (as someone tagged it ...)
:laugh:
We often do that in France, makes it easy to deal with closed roads. In France they let you cycle up the closed roads, until quite soon b4 the riders arrive, great fun, as already pitched up spectators always cheer you on! I do just fear that inexperienced British jobs-worths might try to stop you doing it? :stop:

We will be in Harrogate in hopes of seeing Cav get yellow, then up on the hill out of hebden bridge the next day. Excited. .... Probably will not see much, but the atmosphere will be great, whatever.

PS always get on a hill if you can, then there is some chance you might be able to focus on a few famous faces if they are going slower than 30 miles an hour. Also they will be less bunched, if not actually spread out.

Last edited:

NorvernRob

We'll be watching from a spot in between Bradfield and the Stocksbridge Bypass.

There's a climb just after they turn off the bypass, then a 25% descent with hairpin turns and one at the bottom. The road then goes up again for another short climb. We'll be on there, should get a good view of the riders slowing down for the turns and good photo opportunities as they come up towards us. It's narrow and twisty on the descent so the riders will be really stretched out.

It's also outside the massively popular spots so hopefully it won't be silly with people there, there are metal barriers at the roadside so somewhere to sit too!

Top Bottom