TdF stages 1 and 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atbman

Veteran
Someone will need to put a strong note in the race guide for stage 1 about the dangers of stopping for a 'natural break' on Buttertubs Pass. I walked away from the road to take a pee on a C+ forum ride and almost ended up slipping down one of the 'Buttertubs' ...:eek:

2684238_4746ba7e.jpg

(Photo on Geograph copyright Steve Daniels.)
Slight misunderstanding of the origin of the name. It dates back to the early days of Yorkshire 'ard men, going over the climb with early bearings/grease. On the dscent in either direction, braking friction would cause grease to melt and a common subsitute, in an emergency, was to use the scrapings off their sarnies.

In other words, they 'ad ter butter t'ubs

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's wrong - somebody clearly fed a few intermediate place names into Google Maps and accepted what it came up with, despite it not agreeing with the official route! :laugh:

Ah, dan_bo davefb's linked page confirms that stage one is missing out Fleet Moss. I thought it would because it would be just too dangerous for a TdF to go over - pity though!

Stage 2 is doing a little detour through Haworth so I bet the riders get sent past the Keighley & Worth Valley railway station where some steam trains will be lined up for the cameras. There is a short steep climb up from the station leading to the foot of narrow, steep, cobbled Main Street. The riders will then do a quick descent into a dip, a short steep climb, another descent, a nasty little climb over Penistone Hill, a steep descent, then the draggy climb up from Oxenhope.
If some strong riders really have a go on this stage, I could see them staying away because the climbs and descents are pretty relentless.

No Snake Pass though - they will be going via Woodhead Pass and Langsett instead.

What I'd really like them to do is go past the train station in Haworth, take a left instead of going back round to the right (up to the bottom of Main Street for the tourist bit or right again for the bottom of Butt Lane and then the second half of Main Street) and go up Brow Road which has a 20% section and then a right past the windmill and back down to Oxenhope for the ride over to Hedben Bridge. If the're a good strong wind over to Hebden bridge it could be a good chance to establish/consolidate a break. It's nasty over that route, even going slightly down hill once you're past the Wagon and Horses if the wind is against you.

Also the A road from Keighley to Haworth has a steep cobbled section to the left if you are heading towards Haworth, Hainworth Lane, which would be worth a look. Not likely as they. I suppose there's all kinds of hills we could add, descending into Keighley down Long Lee would mean a nasty climb on the way up, a trip down the side roads after Lees school in Haworth to come up Lord Lane to the top of Main Street etc. I'm sure the plan is not to pick the most murderous route available.

That's wrong - somebody clearly fed a few intermediate place names into Google Maps and accepted what it came up with, despite it not agreeing with the official route! :laugh:

It also says 3h37 by car, over 13h by bike (the route does extend by 3 miles though ^_^). They obviously timed me!

Chrisc

Guru
Beat me to it, Chrisc! :thumbsup:

Near enough 100 miles are either uphill or downhill so I could see the peloton getting blown to bits if enough decent riders got stuck in after 40 or 50 miles.
Its a normal day on the bike for us tho. Imagine how bloody fast we'd be if we were riding on the continent! :-)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Where shall we pitch our tents Dan_bo? I reckon I can get a full day/nights worth of Skol in my panniers and a Saturday night spent camping with forum friends sounds perfect.

I'm trying to book a pitch at Holme Valley Campsite- not sure there's much fun to be had camping on the tops, even in July! I've a couple of other spots in mind mind.....

EDIT: Booked. Smug.

claver58

Über Member
This week we booked our caravan into a site north of Skipton on way to Helliwell. They told me the B & B's are getting very booked up. We're at Cracoe and theres a few 'van places left and lots for tents. From there we will see 1st stage passing the end of the lane and be able to get to see somewhere on 2nd stage.

thom

____
Just heard a couple of funny stories about the guy who ran Yorkshire's bid:
1) Understanding that helicopter pictures are so important to the tour on TV, when the ASO guys came for the first time to visit the area and have a look, the bidder organised a helicopter ride up from London. Thing is, he then deliberately sat down to pick the route up making sure they flew the ASO people over the nastiest bits of built up UK from London until they got to Yorkshire itself, whereupon they picked the best bits of countryside and said, well here you go, this is what Yorkshire is in comparison to the rest of the UK.
2) He did get a letter emanating from Downing St at one point, asking him to exit the bidding process, saying it could be done honourably and without embarrassment. Apparently part of the reason the govt was backing the Edinburgh proposal was for political reasons related to the Scottish referendum. The thing was, when the letter turned up, the guy was already in receipt of a contract from ASO as the bid winner...

The guy sounds like a complete blagger who just wanted to bring the tour to Yorkshire more than the Scottish bidders. And apparently the enthusiasm is enormous - projects to make the longest ever stretch of bunting to precise tour standards are already being implemented...

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Trying to get a hotel booked in yourkshire is a no-go just now, well if you fancy paying £300 a night you can still get one...it looks like we are going to stay in Kendal then head over to the Buttertub pass on stage one, then we are going to stay in Leeds then head Holmes Moss on stage 2..looking forward to it already, thik i`ll cycle over from Kendal to the buttertub pass

yorkshirelass

I live in Holme village and know that it is going to be packed out in July when the races pass through. I wouldn't recommend relying on being able to camp on the top of Holme Moss. For one it is extremely windy up there all year round (after over 20 years worth of walks up there in rain and shine the one thing that is constant is the wind) and secondly the land is all owned by farmers who may not be so pleased with campers/caravans etc and the police are keeping the route clear in the run up to the race. There are still camping places around though I think. Google 'Holmfirth Events' or 'Le Tour Holmfirth' or Kirklees council and you should be able to find campsites. When driving from my home in Holme Village down to Holmfirth I have passed about 3 temporary campsites within walking distance of the summit....from closest to Holme Moss to furthest away they are called.....'Holme Sweet Holme Campsite'........'Holme Moss Camping'....and the third just has a big sign saying 'Camping Here TDF' so will keep an eye on that one for a name! Anyway these are the ones I pass and seem to be closest. No idea if they have room still but may be worth a try?? Good luck guys and see you all in July!

Trying to get a hotel booked in yourkshire is a no-go just now, well if you fancy paying £300 a night you can still get one...it looks like we are going to stay in Kendal then head over to the Buttertub pass on stage one, then we are going to stay in Leeds then head Holmes Moss on stage 2..looking forward to it already, thik i`ll cycle over from Kendal to the buttertub pass

I'm thinking of doing this as well. Could be in Kendal in less than 2 hours as its straight down the M74/M6. Park up in Kendal then cycle over towards Hawes and Buttertubs Pass. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the area could advise on a route.

Top Bottom