TdF stages 1 and 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Someone will need to put a strong note in the race guide for stage 1 about the dangers of stopping for a 'natural break' on Buttertubs Pass. I walked away from the road to take a pee on a C+ forum ride and almost ended up slipping down one of the 'Buttertubs' ...:eek:

2684238_4746ba7e.jpg

(Photo on Geograph copyright Steve Daniels.)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Day 2 from Huddersfield is pretty much the route I've been doing all summer last year.

Looks good - Day 1 at least looks like they're doing Buttertubs, if not Fleet Moss.

Snarf

As a newbie to road cycling and as I'm getting my first road bike tomorrow (Raleigh Revenio 1) all this news on 2014 is getting me very excited and I may attempt some of Stage 1 myself this summer (Please note "some" may indicate 5 miles or 50...) :bicycle:

ColinJ

I'm busy plotting the route of stage 2. The route is very obvious between Harrogate and Langsett, but I'm having to guess the bits in York and Sheffield, not that they add much to the difficulty of the stage.

There is a confusing looking bit on the rough map provided by letour.yorkshire.com - there appears to be a loop which crosses itself on the run into Sheffield near the Meadowhall Shopping Centre. There must be some mistake there, because there wouldn't necessarily be time for the entire peloton to pass before the leaders needed to cross and you can't have one part of the race blocking another. Still, I'll just put that in for now until somebody clarifies the position.

The more time I spend checking out the route, the harder it looks! It goes up Ripponden Bank on the way over to Elland and that is quite a nasty little climb - link.

ColinJ

My software is saying that stage 2 has nearly 4,000 metres of climbing but it always exaggerates, so I reckon more like 3,200 metres of significant climbs, still - that is a pretty tough day out!

I know the TdF has the best riders in the world, but the surface dressing on these roads is pretty 'draggy' so they are very hard work. The great Robert Millar once described the organisers of the Leeds Classic as 'taking the p*ss' for using a route like this one.

There will be casualties unless the peloton decide that they don't fancy really racing. If they get a really wet day for it, it could be horrendous!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Well, now I've got a bit of a quandry.

Do I walk a couple of miles up the road and spend hours battling with crowds of people to see them ride up Holme Moss, or just open the french windows in the dining room and watch them ride past on the main road whilst I sit on the couch drinking beer?:wahhey:

I think the Moss might just win, but probably not if it's raining

Chrisc

Guru
My software is saying that stage 2 has nearly 4,000 metres of climbing but it always exaggerates, so I reckon more like 3,200 metres of significant climbs, still - that is a pretty tough day out!

I know the TdF has the best riders in the world, but the surface dressing on these roads is pretty 'draggy' so they are very hard work. The great Robert Millar once described the organisers of the Leeds Classic as 'taking the p*ss' for using a route like this one.

There will be casualties unless the peloton decide that they don't fancy really racing. If they get a really wet day for it, it could be horrendous!

It is tricky sorting out the start and finish but my best guess is close to your estimate at 130 miles and 3600m of uphill for them to get through and I too reckon the continental riders will get a bit of a surprise at the suction these roads exert.

TDF2_zps3345e9a0.jpg

Top Bottom