TDY 2015 sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just seen this, looks like a dales final stage.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/tour-de-yorkshire/sportive

Looks like a 'full service' sportive which I expect will cost a few quid.

The reason Hull missed out on the main race is, we are told, because the local authority was unwilling to stump up the £100,000 charge to host it.

There's a common theme here.

It's right the event should pay its way, but this is not Premier League football, no one will pay very much for a second rate cycle race.

Hopefully spectating will still be free out on the road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just seen this, looks like a dales start/finish or both for the final stage.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/tour-de-yorkshire/sportive

"The sportive will take place on the same day and roads as the 3rd and final stage of the Tour de Yorkshire pro ride (Sunday, 3rd May). Some of the roads used were also in action at the Yorkshire Grand Départ."
No - it is starting in Wakefield and finishing in Leeds.

I don't normally do sportives these days because they cost so much - I bet this one will be £50-odd. Audax is much better value for money, and forum rides better still! :thumbsup:

This will take place on some roads that I ride a lot, and some that I don't ride because they are busy roads in built-up areas. It wouldn't normally be something that I would consider, but I just got an email from one of my Scottish cousins saying that he is planning to come down to take part. He wants to stay with me, and asked if I planned to do the ride. Perhaps I will make an exception in this case ...

How will the logistics work? I assume that there will be many hundreds of riders, perhaps a few thousand? There will be no way to take that lot back from Leeds to Wakefield by train, unless lots of special trains are run, with extra bike-carrying carriages. Or maybe a fleet of coaches and HGVs to take the bikes? I know it isn't that far back from Leeds to Wakefield but most people would not want to do that extra ride after the sportive was complete.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
No - it is starting in Wakefield and finishing in Leeds.

Yes my original post ( when everybody was speculating about start & finish towns) was to highlight the 3rd stage would be a dales stage because of this sentence.

"The sportive will take place on the same day and roads as the 3rd and final stage of the Tour de Yorkshire pro ride (Sunday, 3rd May). I didn't explain it very well , but it was right.

The logistics will be interesting, there is a good service for you back to Hebden Bridge from Leeds, but may be busy on the day and I don't know the Wakefield to Hebden Bridge train situation to get to the start, do you have to go via Leeds ?
An alternative would be to park up somewhere in the Lofthouse/Rothwell area midway between Wakefield/Leeds a short warm up ride in the morning with a cool down spin :tired: at the end.

ColinJ

An alternative would be to park up somewhere in the Lofthouse/Rothwell area midway between Wakefield/Leeds a short warm up ride in the morning with a cool down spin at the end.
Mmm, that's a thought, and it would bring the distance up to over an imperial century! The roads look like they might be a bit busy though ...

I suppose all will become clear, nearer the time.

How will the logistics work? I assume that there will be many hundreds of riders, perhaps a few thousand? There will be no way to take that lot back from Leeds to Wakefield by train, unless lots of special trains are run, with extra bike-carrying carriages. Or maybe a fleet of coaches and HGVs to take the bikes? I know it isn't that far back from Leeds to Wakefield but most people would not want to do that extra ride after the sportive was complete.

That's an excellent question and one I hadn't considered at all in planning to jump on the train with my bike. It'll be bedlam unless they put some special transport on.

ColinJ

Routes now announced. If you are a British cycling member you can register early. You should be receiving an email from them in the next day or two.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/tour-de-yorkshire/sportive#Maps
Ah - that answers the logistical question ... The sportive route does not follow the entire route of stage 3 of the race! The sportive starts and finishes in Roundhay Park, in Leeds. Makes sense!

My cousin wants to do the 108 km version which will not be passing through here. I have just plotted the route as accurately as I can from their rough map and it comes in at nearer 106 km if I have got the details right. It is certainly a lumpy event. I reckon the medium route will be hard enough for most people and will give a good taste of what cycling round here is like. The route crosses and uses some very busy A-roads so I hope there will be some sort marshalling to control the traffic. It could get nasty if tired riders are having to try and cross very busy streams of traffic ...

Here is the profile of the medium route. I will do the profiles for the shorter and longer routes later for those who fancy giving doing them!

Tour de Yorkshire Sportive medium route profile.gif

Freds Dad

Veteran
If you are a British cycling member you can now sign up before it opens to the public tomorrow. I've signed up for the 100k route but looking at @ColinJ post I must find some hills to practice on.

ColinJ

Me and my cycling buddy have signed up for the medium 108 route, also plotted it on strava like @ColinJ but I got it to 109km, seen the roads are remaining open which could be interesting
Hmm, I'm not sure where I lost 3 km ... Will double-check nearer the time, though I expect we will be given GPX files of the various routes.

When I have an hour or two free, I'll try to remember to plot the shorter and longer routes.

Top Bottom