TDY 2015 sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
I dont get it..says for 140km need to avg 20kmph min, this equates to 7 hours riding
Yet the entry form allowed me to select 7-7.5 hours as my est time..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I dont get it..says for 140km need to avg 20kmph min, this equates to 7 hours riding
Yet the entry form allowed me to select 7-7.5 hours as my est time..
I was thinking along similar lines so I calculated what speeds would actually be needed to get to the 70 km cut-off on the medium route. The website says 19 kph but riders setting off at 08:43 would only have to average 14.9 kph whereas those leaving at 09:59 would have to average 20.4 kph.

I can definitely manage 14.9 kph but could not do 20.4 kph on such a hilly route. I know most of these roads and they are not easy! For example - Otley Chevin is a long 10% grind and Goose Eye is a short, but evil 20+% b**t**d!

I'm wondering what time I put on my entry form. I'm hoping that I was sensible and put the maximum! I think I will contact the organiser to check, and if necessary get my details changed ...

bladesman73

Über Member
How will this work, will we all get a start time dependent upon what we put on the form? Surely we will get a chance to review/change this? I live in essex, we dont get hills like those up north!?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How will this work, will we all get a start time dependent upon what we put on the form? Surely we will get a chance to review/change this? I live in essex, we dont get hills like those up north!?
I am going to contact the organisation because I can't remember if I paid extra to get the registration pack posted to me. I will try to get them to give me an early start!

I advise anyone who isn't used to climbing to set off as early as possible. It wouldn't hurt to find yourself going faster than you thought you would, but getting taken off the route part-way round because you went slower than expected would!

I live and ride round the area in question, and I can tell you that you need to be pretty fit to average 19+ kph, especially if you intend to stop at the feed stations and want a bit of time in hand in case of punctures.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I am seriously thinking of going for a 12-30 in place of my 11-28. In the meantime I have to hit the hills. Longish 10%ers I have up here, just not so much really steep stuff, but basically I have to start trying harder, as it's much more climbing than I've ever done in a ride.

I have a CC ride on Arran next month, that will help I think.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I am seriously thinking of going for a 12-30 in place of my 11-28. In the meantime I have to hit the hills. Longish 10%ers I have up here, just not so much really steep stuff, but basically I have to start trying harder, as it's much more climbing than I've ever done in a ride.

I have a CC ride on Arran next month, that will help I think.
It will if you cycle up goat fell a few times

I grew up in yorkshire and the short sharp ones actually are too bad, yes they hurt like hell but if you have a 28 or 30 (12-30 is defo a good idea no one ever missed not having an 11 sprocket but a 30 will be useful) then you can spin up and if its quite short then at least you can recover once over it. It's the long drags that really sap your energy.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Start times for 108km are between 08:43 and 09:59 with feed stations at 42km and 70km.

Times will be allocated 2 weeks before the start.

lee1980sim

Start times for 108km are between 08:43 and 09:59 with feed stations at 42km and 70km.

Times will be allocated 2 weeks before the start.
I want a feed station at the 108 mark or should I say 109 as they've rather evilly added an extra k

CMJ

Has anyone contacted the organisers about start times and heard back yet? I reckon I'll need to set off at 6.30 too but I find they normally set the fastest off first in sportives. Although that's not really fair as they'll have more time to avoid being swept up than slower riders starting later!

bladesman73

Über Member
Not tried myself. I wouldnt know who to contact anyway! Maybe just worth waiting and seeing what the deal is?

bladesman73

Über Member
Same here. Been difficult getting the bike time, im a fit bloke but can see this being a proper test. Hope we all get an early one!

Freds Dad

Veteran
Has anyone contacted the organisers about start times and heard back yet? I reckon I'll need to set off at 6.30 too but I find they normally set the fastest off first in sportives. Although that's not really fair as they'll have more time to avoid being swept up than slower riders starting later!

I contacted them as I wanted to ride with friends from Derby. The organisers told me start times for the 109km are between 8:43 and 9:59 with two feed stations at 42k and 70k. Times are allocated 2 weeks before the start but she didn't know how they would be allocated.
I'm hoping for as near as 8:43 as possible.

MikeW-71

Veteran
At least I have some time left of my holiday to get some solid miles in, and it's getting warmer again. All I want to do is complete the course, so I reckon if I take the first have very easy, I should be OK.

I still want to get in at least one 50 miler over the next 7 days though, with hills.

Top Bottom