TDY 2015 sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It seems that you can be taken off route if you make the cut off time but fail to keep up with the pace. They should have people aware of this.

109km Route Cut Off
Cut off at Feedstation 3 between Addingham and Ilkley (70km into route)
: Slowest riders need to average a minimum of 19kph in order to reach cut off by 13:25
If you do not reach this last and final cut off by 13:25 you will be swept into the Shuttle Busses at Feedstation 3 and brought back to Roundhay. We need to ensure riders are able to finish the event in the given allocated time, owing to the need for the roads to be cleared in advance of the Pro Race coming through. Being swept at this feedstation will ensure that you are back in Rounhay to watch and cheer the Pro riders Finishing Stage 3 in Roundhay
**If you have passed the final cut off by 13:25, but fall behind the required average speed set for your event distance after such point, you will again be swept at a predetermined point and brought back to Roundhay. This is at the discretion of the Event Organisers on the day, and is for your safety **
Well, I did my best to point it out earlier in the thread! :okay:

lee1980sim

So who's pleased after reading yesterday's email saying no marshaling of the traffic lights single file riding it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me considering I read there's going to be 5000 people doing the sportive

On another note how many people on here are doing the 109k route?

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'm signed up for the 108km

The roads will be open, just like any other Sportive, so I didn't expect them to be waving us through lights etc. The single/double file riding is pretty much just repeating what's in the Highway Code.

With 5000 riders and then the Pro race coming through in the afternoon, most local car drivers will probably want to avoid the area if possible on that day.

When the Fred Whitton comes round up here, they hang up signs around the route days before the event, warning drivers to expect a few thousand cyclists on those roads.

lee1980sim

I'm signed up for the 108km

The roads will be open, just like any other Sportive, so I didn't expect them to be waving us through lights etc. The single/double file riding is pretty much just repeating what's in the Highway Code.

With 5000 riders and then the Pro race coming through in the afternoon, most local car drivers will probably want to avoid the area if possible on that day.

When the Fred Whitton comes round up here, they hang up signs around the route days before the event, warning drivers to expect a few thousand cyclists on those roads.

Good to know, it's my first sportive I get the highway code bit just thought with the amount of riders some marshaling would be done in the busy areas

MikeW-71

Veteran
12-30 fitted and new chain split to correct (phew!) length and fitted. Now to see how that does on the carbon bike. I may end up leaving it on permanently :smile:

lee1980sim

So who's thinking they won't complete it / will end up swept up, I wasn't until I investigated the climbs then looked at the strava times for them... Legs better get moving when they can

MikeW-71

Veteran
It depends how many of the climbs are very steep, that kills me. Long drags I can handle, and there are a few extended descents too to have a rest on that will help the average speed. In my mind, once I get past Goose Eye which is about half way, I should be fine until I get to Otley Chevin.

I must not be tempted to start off fast, or I will be finished by 40 miles.

ColinJ

I will have to carry what I need because I definitely will not have time to queue at feedstations!

I can just about average 19 kph on these hills at the moment if I press on and the weather is not too bad.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I'm reading that there will be 5000 riders doing the or time but is there any breakdown as to how many are doing each distance?
If I can get an early start time then I should be okay although I can't remember what time I put on the application form. I'm out with a friend who will push me and get that extra bit out of me so I'm hoping to make it all the way round and avoid the broom.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I will have to carry what I need because I definitely will not have time to queue at feedstations!

I can just about average 19 kph on these hills at the moment if I press on and the weather is not too bad.
Yeah, I'll be carrying as much food as I can fit in my pockets. That only leaves a water top-up if needed. I will not be wanting to queue for 10 minutes at the food stops.

lee1980sim

I'll be carrying what I need and will have to see where I'm at when I get to the feed stations, riding with a buddy who's not so good on climbs and my pace drops by around 3 kph so we shall have to see (but we have had the discussion about dropping each other if need be which I suppose is good)

MikeW-71

Veteran
I just gave the 12-30 a road test and it's quite surprising how much difference it makes! I've set my Garmin to display average speed and turned off the auto-pause so I'll always know how I'm doing.

I'll be following the marathon runners saying during the first half of the ride:
"If you don't think you're going too slow, you're probably going too fast."

ColinJ

I just gave the 12-30 a road test and it's quite surprising how much difference it makes! I've set my Garmin to display average speed and turned off the auto-pause so I'll always know how I'm doing.

I'll be following the marathon runners saying during the first half of the ride:
"If you don't think you're going too slow, you're probably going too fast."
The thing is, you might get away with slowing down later, but if you start off too slowly then you will not get the chance to speed up later! :okay:

I intend to ride at my comfortable maximum which is hovering around the required 19 kph average on hilly terrain like that.

It should only be the steep climbs that will be a problem, as long as gale force winds are not a feature on the day.

Top Bottom