TDY.... do we have cyclists of that standard on CC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Agreed - it hits a maximum of 13.1%, which probably explains why there is a cafe half way up...;)
If you mean Cheerful Chilli, that is after the steep section, as the road starts to level off. I went there with @Littgull last year on a sunny day and had a nice mid-ride stop. I hadn't spotted any other cafes on the climb, but I wouldn't want to stop halfway up anyway because I'd hate to start off again with a full stomach!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you mean Cheerful Chilli, that is after the steep section, as the road starts to level off. I went there with @Littgull last year on a sunny day and had a nice mid-ride stop. I hadn't spotted any other cafes on the climb, but I wouldn't want to stop halfway up anyway because I'd hate to start off again with a full stomach!

It is the Cheerful Chilli, although I've never stopped there which probably explains my vague recollection of its exact location. ^_^

pjd57

Veteran
I am just an old plodder.
I've never been a club cyclist , so when I see groups heading out the city at weekends I always think/ know I couldn't do anything like their speed.

But they couldn't get close to the pros.
By a sheer fluke we were in Turkey a few years back just as the TdT was rolling into town.
Watching them do half a dozen laps that passed our hotel was amazing.
The final sprint, Cav and the rest was scary to watch up close

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
To apply some numbers to this....let's take a look at the Snake Pass. It's a famous climb, about 3 miles steady gradient

It's been ridden by about 10,000 Strava cyclists so you can get a good idea of what amateur cyclists can do. To get in the top 10% you need a time of 18.30

A good British Pro (Graham Briggs) entered the hill climb competition and managed 11.30. He is currently third on the all time list. Now he isn't a really top top climbing pro. I'd guess one of those could do 10 minutes. The very best sponsored riders in the area have times of around 13 minutes

I'm at 21.30 but that's another story!

Venod

Eh up
East Chevin Strava segment was in local hands until this years TDY

VV.png

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I always would expect the top pros to thrash everyone on the climbs and probably the flats too. But descents?

This was a surprise. They're small and skinny. Holme Moss Descent featured on the TdF. I'm well up there, about 200th out of 10,000. But the top places are all held by TdF riders. Here is the comparison of the record holder to me

2019-05-11.png

I did eventually manage to match his speed on the bottom half. But he killed me at the top where I was probably recovering from the climb and freewheeling, he was giving it full gas

classic33

Leg End Member
East Chevin Strava segment was in local hands until this years TDY

View attachment 465989
Colinj in 11th place!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I always would expect the top pros to thrash everyone on the climbs and probably the flats too. But descents?

This was a surprise. They're small and skinny. Holme Moss Descent featured on the TdF. I'm well up there, about 200th out of 10,000. But the top places are all held by TdF riders. Here is the comparison of the record holder to me

View attachment 466007

I did eventually manage to match his speed on the bottom half. But he killed me at the top where I was probably recovering from the climb and freewheeling, he was giving it full gas
With riders of equal ability weight is a factor, but overall your descending speed is governed by bike handling skill and bottle and the pros have loads of both.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
But seriously, I’ve personally ridden with Chris Froome, Sarah Storey, Danni King (Rowe), and Mark Beaumont, and they have a very unusual way about them. That’s what makes the difference. They are all very focused, and determined.

...and faster.

An 18yr old British Cycling Academy rider, Danni King, asked if she could join in our club session at the Newport track. We had a couple of useful cat2 roadmen. Our last event was a scratch race of something like 18 laps. At the final sprint she simply rode past everyone to win by a couple of lengths.

Top Bottom