Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Don't wake her!

They made them tougher back then. Heavier as well mind.
Did the pair of you manage it without stopping more than once.
Not in a "Viking funeral" way I hope.
They never did that for me down here. Five years with only me ever taking it out, then they just removed it from the system.
You stay long with the CB?
Truck manufacturer maybe.

Nowt wrong there. Rain, which is fine for this time of year
How much have you had so far.

Weighed a ton...
Can't remember much about it, never inside it, no names on it either, ran on 240v though.

Look at YouLoop passive loop antenna, I have two (directional) and use the one facing E and W...
works into airband and above...surprisingly.
Signals aren't booming cause it's passive...
and its cheap..
you do need some coax if you are running it from say a loftspace, I just use RG6 satellite stuff as only receiving with it.
Plenty videos on the Toob about them, see Frugal Radios ones.

classic33

Leg End Member
Weighed a ton...
Can't remember much about it, never inside it, no names on it either, ran on 240v though.

Look at YouLoop passive loop antenna, I have two (directional) and use the one facing E and W...
works into airband and above...surprisingly.
Signals aren't booming cause it's passive...
and its cheap..
you do need some coax if you are running it from say a loftspace, I just use RG6 satellite stuff as only receiving with it.
Plenty videos on the Toob about them, see Frugal Radios ones.
You'd no trouble getting it up the stairs.
Military wouldn't have bothered about having a name on it. Or it may have been removed before it was passed onto you.
No carrying it round the local countryside then.

Are they rotatable from your radio room, to allow a bit of fine tuning, or set in fixed positions.

Frugal Radio was amongst the first half dozen hits on the first page. They do a few videos?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Good morning :hello:
It's a dry day so far:ohmy:
Mrs M (the seer) has advised wellies for later.
Better than Google plus you get her opinion on the subject....amazing

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You'd no trouble getting it up the stairs.
Military wouldn't have bothered about having a name on it. Or it may have been removed before it was passed onto you.
No carrying it round the local countryside then.

Are they rotatable from your radio room, to allow a bit of fine tuning, or set in fixed positions.

Frugal Radio was amongst the first half dozen hits on the first page. They do a few videos?

For the youloop?
fits into a 60cm (asda) cheapo hula hoop,
cut it in two pieces then wire through, fit chokes then I just taped the joints up,
could try and make it totally circular using something plastic then attach some coax to the bottom.. simples
rotator? I was going to try something with a stepper motor but just used two at right angles,
I just use one now...

just check out his youloop ones,
I use it with a SDRplay SDR, great combination, software for SDR is SDRuno....

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a dry day so far:ohmy:
Mrs M (the seer) has advised wellies for later.
Better than Google plus you get her opinion on the subject....amazing
Owdo
You go to sleep last night?
T'ain't too bad here now, wind has died down n'all.
Sounds as though when it gets light, you'll be out in the garden.
Can you ask her, for me, who'll win the Gold Cup this year!

classic33

Leg End Member
For the youloop?
fits into a 60cm (asda) cheapo hula hoop,
cut it in two pieces then wire through, fit chokes then I just taped the joints up,
could try and make it totally circular using something plastic then attach some coax to the bottom.. simples
rotator? I was going to try something with a stepper motor but just used two at right angles,
I just use one now...

just check out his youloop ones,
I use it with a SDRplay SDR, great combination, software for SDR is SDRuno....
You went down the homemade route when there were ones you could have bought. Good man, money well saved.
Thought you might have included a bit of movement for tweaking the loops. Not needed it seems.
That "one" being East-West.

I'll have a gander at one or two. Can't see missed taking it much further than that.

Oh, wind is back, just so you know.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
It's this guy's day....
giphy.gif

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You went down the homemade route when there were ones you could have bought. Good man, money well saved.
Thought you might have included a bit of movement for tweaking the loops. Not needed it seems.
That "one" being East-West.

I'll have a gander at one or two. Can't see missed taking it much further than that.

Oh, wind is back, just so you know.

Basic antennas are simple to make, the dipole (normally in half-wave)..
long wires etc..
One of my best antennas, a 2 element cubical quad for 11m (CB) was made from bamboo canes, boom was 2" square wood, copper pipe clips and plastic pipe clips, someone made an alloy boom later on, much lighter and easier to throw up..
I've a photo somewhere,
I'll look it out.
I did build a 3 element one but jeez, it was a monster, not very portable.

the youloop works to a certain degree in part of the VHF band...even in very strong local stuff in the 400 mhz bands...see yer Frugal Man's video on that very subject ( Most HF receivers stop at 30 mhz...VHF and above, scanners or SDR boxes.
Right I'm off....

classic33

Leg End Member
late, more likely another sleepless night with this barking cough I have, my watch told me I had 1 hr 16 mins sleep last night, I expect the same tonight:cry:
Oh eck...
Hoarse from the weather, or summat you caught.
You'll not be needing yer wellies this morning?

classic33

Leg End Member
Basic antennas are simple to make, the dipole (normally in half-wave)..
long wires etc..
One of my best antennas, a 2 element cubical quad for 11m (CB) was made from bamboo canes, boom was 2" square wood, copper pipe clips and plastic pipe clips, someone made an alloy boom later on, much lighter and easier to throw up..
I've a photo somewhere,
I'll look it out.
I did build a 3 element one but jeez, it was a monster, not very portable.

the youloop works to a certain degree in part of the VHF band...even in very strong local stuff in the 400 mhz bands...see yer Frugal Man's video on that very subject ( Most HF receivers stop at 30 mhz...VHF and above, scanners or SDR boxes.
Right I'm off....
Basic ones possibly. Bar the fact you can build then to suit yer needs/space, do you save much with them cost wise.

You got any room left in that loft, what with an ariel/antenna for this, that n't'other.

Sithi
Hope you get more sleep than yesterday morning.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Basic ones possibly. Bar the fact you can build then to suit yer needs/space, do you save much with them cost wise.

You got any room left in that loft, what with an ariel/antenna for this, that n't'other.

Sithi
Hope you get more sleep than yesterday morning.

Still one or two to go up :ohmy:
Dipole?
say 40m half wave...
Screenshot 2024-04-11 061214.jpg

Bung on to a dipole centre, attach RG58 coax in length you need..
You can buy ready to go lengths with plugs online...or solder your own on...
works well for listening, then could be tuned in using an ATU for other bands.....(HF range)
directional or just buy a vertical.

I might,
got up just before 5..
Off to prepare for later disturbances....
150 mins to T-Day....

classic33

Leg End Member
Still one or two to go up :ohmy:
Dipole?
say 40m half wave...
View attachment 727215
Bung on to a dipole centre, attach RG58 coax in length you need..
You can buy ready to go lengths with plugs online...or solder your own on...
works well for listening, then could be tuned in using an ATU for other bands.....(HF range)
directional or just buy a vertical.

I might,
got up just before 5..
Off to prepare for later disturbances....
150 mins to T-Day....
Not much has changed over the years, other than cut to go lengths. Three houses near me bought the reel between them. Don't think it were simple(TV Ariel) coax though.
How many will there be when you have them all in place.

Did you?
Cuppa supped, coffee(strong, black) at the ready...
She's only little...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Not much has changed over the years, other than cut to go lengths. Three houses near me bought the reel between them. Don't think it were simple(TV Ariel) coax though.
How many will there be when you have them all in place.

Did you?
Cuppa supped, coffee(strong, black) at the ready...
She's only little...

RG58 is black (as are 99%) of coax you can use....
all sorts of thickness,
most RG58 is thinner then the normal brown TV coax.

HF end fed, 1090 MHZ ADSB, HF youloop, 70cm turnstile, HF active one as well I think, 2m/70cm vertical collinear, think that all :ohmy:

Peace has descended, out with granny.....
Weekend wind 'broke' two of my hyacinths, now perfuming downstairs in a vase..

Sunny, so some weedkiller applied.
Local cat started lying in one of the lavender tubs, it has a surprise next time it visits:ohmy:

Top Bottom