Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nah, same questions in all exam venues that evening...
45 mins....
Simple..add all the exam results then divide by the number of folk taking it..
it was kinda silly, why not say 65 or 70% pass?
I dunno how they time everything, Ill ask next week or wait as it is the agm next Fri.
I'd already passed the RAE which was equivalent of today's full licence..
I returned to SWL, sold on the radio and upgraded my receiver, scanner and what else I needed,
I returned late 2008, got my call and license back,
I just passed 44,000 logged contacts the other day
Reminds me I better go upload everything into two clouds....
Changed on a day by day basis then?
Speculation on my part, not expecting an answer. The paper one could vary by venue, if taken on the same day. Wonder if being online increases the delivery speed, decreases the chance of two venues setting different "papers" these days.
Be doable if they all had the same questions, more likely these days done online. All, on any given day, would be answering the same questions.
3/4 of those sitting passed, 1/4 failed. Cynical me saw money as the motivation, even back then.
You'll be able to fit everyone in the scout hut come Friday?
Just think, each of those 44,000 contacts could have sent you a card, and you them. Where would you have kept them all?
In your opinion, is it easier pass today than when you first passed? Last time I sat down doing one of the papers was in the early 90's. And then just to see what it was like.

And I'm blaming you uploading to yer clouds for the weather of the last week!

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Good morning :hello:
Tonight (or some time) the partial eclipse?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Changed on a day by day basis then?
Speculation on my part, not expecting an answer. The paper one could vary by venue, if taken on the same day. Wonder if being online increases the delivery speed, decreases the chance of two venues setting different "papers" these days.
Be doable if they all had the same questions, more likely these days done online. All, on any given day, would be answering the same questions.
3/4 of those sitting passed, 1/4 failed. Cynical me saw money as the motivation, even back then.
You'll be able to fit everyone in the scout hut come Friday?
Just think, each of those 44,000 contacts could have sent you a card, and you them. Where would you have kept them all?
In your opinion, is it easier pass today than when you first passed? Last time I sat down doing one of the papers was in the early 90's. And then just to see what it was like.

And I'm blaming you uploading to yer clouds for the weather of the last week!

Apparently, yes..
Makes it easy at HQ, I'd imagine..
Money?
Covers costs etc..
I think some standard of knowledge has to be gained about operating and the background of electronics plus hands on understanding how everything works..
their is a kinda standard required by the IARU
I had no electronics knowledge at all, it was hard going.
Full licence is supposed to be easier back, I dunno.
You didn't have the information so easily to hand then.

Yeah, I laid some chemtrails yesterday too.

Cards? must have over a 1,000 plus TBH, it's a dying thing with all the online methods, LoTW being the main one...

classic33

Leg End Member
Apparently, yes..
Makes it easy at HQ, I'd imagine..
Money?
Covers costs etc..
I think some standard of knowledge has to be gained about operating and the background of electronics plus hands on understanding how everything works..
their is a kinda standard required by the IARU
I had no electronics knowledge at all, it was hard going.
Full licence is supposed to be easier back, I dunno.
You didn't have the information so easily to hand then.

Yeah, I laid some chemtrails yesterday too.

Cards? must have over a 1,000 plus TBH, it's a dying thing with all the online methods, LoTW being the main one...
It'd make working out the pass/fail rate easier. Whatever percentage is used.
The money side, cost covering aside, was more about failing a certain percentage of those sitting, just so they'd have to sit a second time. Paying again of course. Be harder do in an online exam, than a written one.
Can sorta understand having a knowledge of how things work, electronic wise, but wouldn't say it's as relevant these days. What with IC's and cheap replacement parts available to buy when they go wrong. Do folk still spend time fixing circuit boards, or dump and buy a new one.
The operating side is a different matter. Knowing how to use the airwaves is important, for all using them.
And no online library you could use back then either. Just the real thing to visit.

Cloud cover obscured any chance of seeing any contrails. Same again today, so far...
Only a 1,000? 43,000 short.
Does it make those you do get special, in any way?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Owdo
Sunset tonight. But you'll need to shift yer clouds out of the way to have a chance of seeing a partial eclipse up there.

Yeah, cloudy here...

It'd make working out the pass/fail rate easier. Whatever percentage is used.
The money side, cost covering aside, was more about failing a certain percentage of those sitting, just so they'd have to sit a second time. Paying again of course. Be harder do in an online exam, than a written one.
Can sorta understand having a knowledge of how things work, electronic wise, but wouldn't say it's as relevant these days. What with IC's and cheap replacement parts available to buy when they go wrong. Do folk still spend time fixing circuit boards, or dump and buy a new one.
The operating side is a different matter. Knowing how to use the airwaves is important, for all using them.
And no online library you could use back then either. Just the real thing to visit.

Cloud cover obscured any chance of seeing any contrails. Same again today, so far...
Only a 1,000? 43,000 short.
Does it make those you do get special, in any way?

I can see the point,
they are taking the standard from the IARU as do most countries.
I checked a couple of PC boards just the other day..
40 quid to replace the whole item...couldn't find any problem
the one in yon electric car (kids).
The other was a power supply, power transistor gone awry I reckon.
I used to be keen on building stuff, mostly kits but seems a lost art now as everything is so cheap coming from abroad, component size is minuscule nowadays.
At the end of it, I'm just old school...
Everything can now be sent in one package that you need, connect it all together and voila, off you go.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah, cloudy here...
Sun is trying to get through here at present. Must try harder as my school reports used to say
I can see the point,
they are taking the standard from the IARU as do most countries.
I checked a couple of PC boards just the other day..
40 quid to replace the whole item...couldn't find any problem
the one in yon electric car (kids).
The other was a power supply, power transistor gone awry I reckon.
I used to be keen on building stuff, mostly kits but seems a lost art now as everything is so cheap coming from abroad, component size is minuscule nowadays.
At the end of it, I'm just old school...
Everything can now be sent in one package that you need, connect it all together and voila, off you go.
In ways, sometimes.
Well someone has to set the standards for others to maintain.
You never forked out forty quid to replace the board? First point of contact would have been the company that sells them over here. Most maintain a stock of returned items, where various things have failed. They'd have pulled a board out of one that was working.
Self-taught from scratch. Not too shabby.
The prices, the fact that everyone wants "them" now and the fact that repairing stuff has gone out the window are all to blame.
I'll repair where possible, but that's because I don't like spending money I can't afford.
Seems to be the way we've gone this century.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Sun is trying to get through here at present. Must try harder as my school reports used to say

In ways, sometimes.
Well someone has to set the standards for others to maintain.
You never forked out forty quid to replace the board? First point of contact would have been the company that sells them over here. Most maintain a stock of returned items, where various things have failed. They'd have pulled a board out of one that was working.
Self-taught from scratch. Not too shabby.
The prices, the fact that everyone wants "them" now and the fact that repairing stuff has gone out the window are all to blame.
I'll repair where possible, but that's because I don't like spending money I can't afford.
Seems to be the way we've gone this century.

The unit is a bluetooth remote control board in which the power doings run through.
We don't have the remote control so I think I might have the power setup ready to wire up..
need some wire though, thought I had some..

It's not the old valve and doings,
mind you the old valve sets saved money on heating the place.
Linear amplifiers still use valves
I don't use power..
I can now use 1kw.....

Like I said before you can get equipment now than when I passed for the same price and even cheaper if you want....36 years later.

classic33

Leg End Member
The unit is a bluetooth remote control board in which the power doings run through.
We don't have the remote control so I think I might have the power setup ready to wire up..
need some wire though, thought I had some..

It's not the old valve and doings,
mind you the old valve sets saved money on heating the place.
Linear amplifiers still use valves
I don't use power..
I can now use 1kw.....

Like I said before you can get equipment now than when I passed for the same price and even cheaper if you want....36 years later.
That's the sort of thing that would be kept by the seller/dealer in this country. Possibly the shops that sold them.
How fast are you going to allow her to go?
You've no wire! What sort of workshop are you running?

Bought an ex military SW radio, complete with valves (hopefully all intact). Going to clean the dust off, then see if it works. Any advice for when turning it on?
Never thought about the heating aspect of it. Knew they got warm, but additional use as a heater...

And most of the modern equipment won't be as easy repair as the older stuff. Assuming you can still get the parts.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
That's the sort of thing that would be kept by the seller/dealer in this country. Possibly the shops that sold them.
How fast are you going to allow her to go?
You've no wire! What sort of workshop are you running?

Bought an ex military SW radio, complete with valves (hopefully all intact). Going to clean the dust off, then see if it works. Any advice for when turning it on?
Never thought about the heating aspect of it. Knew they got warm, but additional use as a heater...

And most of the modern equipment won't be as easy repair as the older stuff. Assuming you can still get the parts.
I have wire but none of what I need, I need a thinner gauge...and in red and black.
This thing was getting skipped, we never found out why
It goes slower than me..

She likes sitting in it.

Yeah, make sure the inside is dust and anything free..
hopefully it'll fire up (not literally)
If listening only nowadays, I recommend a black plastic box SDR...
see SDRplay..
I'm off for an early morning:cuppa:

classic33

Leg End Member
I have wire but none of what I need, I need a thinner gauge...and in red and black.
This thing was getting skipped, we never found out why
It goes slower than me..

She likes sitting in it.

Yeah, make sure the inside is dust and anything free..
hopefully it'll fire up (not literally)
If listening only nowadays, I recommend a black plastic box SDR...
see SDRplay..
I'm off for an early morning:cuppa:
That sounds like when you need screws to finish a job. Every one but the one you need at the time is to hand.
Which wire will you cut first, the red or the black?
Probably the controller you don't have, or it were too slow.

If it's just sitting in it she likes, make it a static model. Or you can push her round.
They have a similar sized motor to 1/10 scale RC cars that come in kit form. Heavily geared down.

It looks okay, aside from the dust. Got a quick wipe when bringing it home. Improved the look of the wooden case immediately. Hopefully it'll not require a fire extinguisher.
The word "military" is what sold it. They tended to be a bit more robust than a standard house radio.

Storm Toodles should be nearby.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Good Morning!
You might require summat a wee bit stronger than yer usual.
I need something but a nap is being had by trouble..
That sounds like when you need screws to finish a job. Every one but the one you need at the time is to hand.
Which wire will you cut first, the red or the black?
Probably the controller you don't have, or it were too slow.

If it's just sitting in it she likes, make it a static model. Or you can push her round.
They have a similar sized motor to 1/10 scale RC cars that come in kit form. Heavily geared down.

It looks okay, aside from the dust. Got a quick wipe when bringing it home. Improved the look of the wooden case immediately. Hopefully it'll not require a fire extinguisher.
The word "military" is what sold it. They tended to be a bit more robust than a standard house radio.

Storm Toodles should be nearby.
I remember, a 13? 14? year old Bob and pal humphing through Glasgow straining to carry a ex mil receiver, 'boatanchor' as known now in the trade, pal unc was either a ham or SWL and he checked it out and gave me a long wire and a plug lead for this thing, years of fun.
The library got fed up with me borrowing the same book time after time, I got it presented to me as I was the only person to ever borrow it :laugh: a long wire just hung out the kitchen window with a lead weight on the end, stormy nights were a no-no esp in a tenement:laugh:
It just died years later...
I'd been looking at the time CB kicked off and eventually ('82?)bought a Trio R2000 and the rest is history.
They were marketed as Kenwood in the rest of the world, nothing to do with the mixer :laugh:

Edited to add :
rainfall.jpg

then noticed this above it..
fine weather, whit.jpg

17 mm of rain for 12 hours and FINE weather?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I need something but a nap is being had by trouble..
Don't wake her!
I remember, a 13? 14? year old Bob and pal humphing through Glasgow straining to carry a ex mil receiver, 'boatanchor' as known now in the trade, pal unc was either a ham or SWL and he checked it out and gave me a long wire and a plug lead for this thing, years of fun.
The library got fed up with me borrowing the same book time after time, I got it presented to me as I was the only person to ever borrow it :laugh: a long wire just hung out the kitchen window with a lead weight on the end, stormy nights were a no-no esp in a tenement:laugh:
It just died years later...
I'd been looking at the time CB kicked off and eventually ('82?)bought a Trio R2000 and the rest is history.
They were marketed as Kenwood in the rest of the world, nothing to do with the mixer :laugh:

Edited to add :
View attachment 727052
then noticed this above it..
View attachment 727053
17 mm of rain for 12 hours and FINE weather?
They made them tougher back then. Heavier as well mind.
Did the pair of you manage it without stopping more than once.
Not in a "Viking funeral" way I hope.
They never did that for me down here. Five years with only me ever taking it out, then they just removed it from the system.
You stay long with the CB?
Truck manufacturer maybe.

Nowt wrong there. Rain, which is fine for this time of year
How much have you had so far.

Top Bottom