Teacher Training Days - and 13 weeks holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes, that's what my Mum has always said to us, and so far, other than me working briefly in a special needs school we have heeded her Warnings!

Ironically, on my Dad's side, my Gran and Grandpa were teachers. She a French Teacher, and him an English teacher becoming the head of English at Clydebank High all 50+ years ago. My Aunt (Dad's sister) was/is a teacher in Canada, so between my Mum and my Dad's family, we all have good teaching pedigree.

my eldest has been saying for many years she wants to be a teacher. when she couldn't go on her last school outing as she had a leg in cast ( doesn't go well at an outward bounds centre !!! ) she helped out in the lower years and the head said she had a natural ablity for it. she is brilliant with her younger brother too.

will we talk her out of it ? I don't know. we will present the pitfalls and the good sides and whatever she decides will support her.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If it is anything like Scotland then she might not find a job after graduating anyway.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Oh HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

From what I remember what would happen is that my Mum would do things for the coming term, and then after all that work, she'd be told to do something completely different, or, the curriculum had changed!

I remember one time she had been asked to do a project on world religions. She prepared it all with quite some considerable effort, and then, the head turned round and said

'Err, no actually, second thoughts, I want you doing.... XYZ instead...'

All her work went to waste.

^ That, EVERY WEEK!

MissTillyFlop

yup primary is the very basic building blocks of lifelong learning. screw that up and its hard to get back whats been lost.

Or you can just do what one of Mr Tf's feeder school does and lie about what level their at, so whilst you look better, the kid continues to be behind because they can't be "statemented" for good while longer (ie declared special needs by the LEA and be assign additional classes and resources) and the secondary school is deemed to have failed.

MissTillyFlop

Ah yes, but apparently teachers have a pre prepared plan for the year!

That's great when you get told that all the BTEC kids (who weren't deemed strong enough to do a GCSE in the first place) ARE going to do GCSEs. In less than half the time of the stronger pupils. Woo!

Or what about when tomorrow's class is cancelled because everyone is doing an unexpected "enrichment day"?

Or my personal favourite, when you get an unstatemented child who doesn't speak one word of English and so doesn't have a teaching assistant with them, which you find out about the night before they arrive.

I really couldn't be a teacher - the death rate of management in my school would rise quite dramatically...

subaqua

What’s the point
Or you can just do what one of Mr Tf's feeder school does and lie about what level their at, so whilst you look better, the kid continues to be behind because they can't be "statemented" for good while longer (ie declared special needs by the LEA and be assign additional classes and resources) and the secondary school is deemed to have failed.

now theres a novelty, a secondary school that doesn't immediately repeat the last years work then retest the new intake because they think that primary feeders are no good anyway. ;)

I remember ( and it is a long time ago) what the local secondary schools to me did , itwas make us repeat the last years work. Wifeys teaching Qual is from 3 -13 so she has done secondary and primary and chose primary after 3 years

what that school has done is very bad practice and the teacher or head ( more likely) needs to be dealt with. but just because a few may do that doesn't mean all of them do. bit like RLJing cyclists

subaqua

What’s the point
That's great when you get told that all the BTEC kids (who weren't deemed strong enough to do a GCSE in the first place) ARE going to do GCSEs. In less than half the time of the stronger pupils. Woo!

Or what about when tomorrow's class is cancelled because everyone is doing an unexpected "enrichment day"?

Or my personal favourite, when you get an unstatemented child who doesn't speak one word of English and so doesn't have a teaching assistant with them, which you find out about the night before they arrive.

I really couldn't be a teacher - the death rate of management in my school would rise quite dramatically...

thats why i gave up on the night school lecturing. too much management obblocks

MissTillyFlop

now theres a novelty, a secondary school that doesn't immediately repeat the last years work then retest the new intake because they think that primary feeders are no good anyway. ;)

I remember ( and it is a long time ago) what the local secondary schools to me did , itwas make us repeat the last years work. Wifeys teaching Qual is from 3 -13 so she has done secondary and primary and chose primary after 3 years

what that school has done is very bad practice and the teacher or head ( more likely) needs to be dealt with. but just because a few may do that doesn't mean all of them do. bit like RLJing cyclists

Oh no, it's one feeder school out of about 15

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I teach in an FE college, so slightly different. I get 50 days 'holiday' a year (including closure days). I work on average 50 hrs a week (payed for 37). For most of my summer 'holidays' I'm prepping for the September. Unlike school teachers we design and create our own curriculum, I also get payed about 25% less than a school teacher.

Not all teaching is equal, but I'll tell you one thing. Any teacher will work many more hours in a week than they are 'payed' to.

Oh, on teacher training days, we actually have to sit through hours of mind numbing training, mostly from a quality department trying to cope with constantly changing policy. We don't get to go down the pub as most parents think.

In my experience, most parents get arsy on this subject because they have to look after their kids for a day.

:popcorn:

Top Bottom