Teacher Training Days - and 13 weeks holiday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm worth more than all of you and you all get more than you're entitled to

yes but for your punishment you have to live in farnborough

PK99

Legendary Member
no more than 48 hours per week ( 7 days) on average , averaged over 17 weeks. When i was on the tools i signed the opt out . regularly CHOSE to work more and it earned me the 20% deposit for my 1st house . i am currently in a job where i am deemed to not be covered by the working time regulations.

Can you define what you would deem reasonable additional hours to be worked? I would deem that up to 10% of your directed hours would be reasonable , i can't find anything in NUT guidance ..... yet.

You would deem 10% of directed hours reasonable.

Ummm, directed hours = 1265 (in normal years)

plus 10% = 1391.5

over 39 weeks, that is 35.7 hours.

Are you really sure you mean that?
35.7 hours pew week for 39 teaching weeks a year for a professional job and salary

Taking an alternative route to a number:

The WTD limits to 48 hours per week averaged over 17 weeks ie 17*48 = 816 hours in 17 weeks

17 weeks is approx 1/3 of a year

split the 39 week teaching year into three periods of 13 teaching weeks
the WTD 17 week averaging limits to 816 hours in those 13 weeks as the other 4 of the 17 are non teaching weeks
816/13 = 62.7 hours average over a the 13 teaching week.
(i accept that that is a first order calculation and the number approximate)

Now i would regard 63 hours a week every week as unhealthy and unacceptable, but do you see that calling on the working time directive to support your case does not work

Somewhere between your 35.7 hours and the WTD number of 63 hours is an appropriate balance, but the use of the 1265 directed hours is to fundamentally misunderstand the teachers contract of employment by which they are required to work what ever reasonable additional hours are required for the proper fulfilment of their professional duties in addition to the 1265 directed hours

subaqua

What’s the point
You would deem 10% of directed hours reasonable.

Ummm, directed hours = 1265 (in normal years)

plus 10% = 1391.5

over 39 weeks, that is 35.7 hours.

Are you really sure you mean that?
35.7 hours pew week for 39 teaching weeks a year for a professional job and salary

Taking an alternative route to a number:

The WTD limits to 48 hours per week averaged over 17 weeks ie 17*48 = 816 hours in 17 weeks

17 weeks is approx 1/3 of a year

split the 39 week teaching year into three periods of 13 teaching weeks
the WTD 17 week averaging limits to 816 hours in those 13 weeks as the other 4 of the 17 are non teaching weeks
816/13 = 62.7 hours average over a the 13 teaching week.
(i accept that that is a first order calculation and the number approximate)

Now i would regard 63 hours a week every week as unhealthy and unacceptable, but do you see that calling on the working time directive to support your case does not work

Somewhere between your 35.7 hours and the WTD number of 63 hours is an appropriate balance, but the use of the 1265 directed hours is to fundamentally misunderstand the teachers contract of employment by which they are required to work what ever reasonable additional hours are required for the proper fulfilment of their professional duties in addition to the 1265 directed hours

using your figure of 6.4 hours a day then an extra 10% of that is unreasonable. thats the great thing with statistics you can use it to show what you wnat and twist whats been said. i stand by my final comment earlier. working from 08.30 to 17.30 is reasonable, working for 4 or more hours at home after you get home from work isn't . Working 10% extra of the extra that teachers do by staying to 17.00 and beyond is reasonable.

but teachers still only work from 9 to 3.30 and have 13 weeks despite having that clause don't they . thats the bit that grates with the its easy being a teacher comments from the 1st post

PK99

Legendary Member
Working 10% extra of the extra that teachers do by staying to 17.00 and beyond is reasonable.

t

is it sufficient? 8:30 to 1700 are shorter daily hours than most professionals work and most professionals are at work 45 weeks (5 leave, 10 days bank holidays) not 39

Two points:

1. looking simply at hours worked in a week is not valid given the structure of a school year of 39 teaching weeks: annual hours worked gives a better comparison to other professional jobs.

2. not all teachers and not all schools work to 5 pm or beyond. The primary school my daughters attended was dark till 8:15-8:30 in the morning and dark by 4:30 every afternoon - I was a parent governor and it was my "job" to notice such things. (the head and the culture changed!!)

subaqua

What’s the point
is it sufficient? 8:30 to 1700 are shorter daily hours than most professionals work and most professionals are at work 45 weeks (5 leave, 10 days bank holidays) not 39

Two points:

1. looking simply at hours worked in a week is not valid given the structure of a school year of 39 teaching weeks: annual hours worked gives a better comparison to other professional jobs.

2. not all teachers and not all schools work to 5 pm or beyond. The primary school my daughters attended was dark till 8:15-8:30 in the morning and dark by 4:30 every afternoon - I was a parent governor and it was my "job" to notice such things. (the head and the culture changed!!)

you still fail to grasp the maximum hours that the kids can be there. you can't teach whats not there can you.

its the admin and redt tape shite , often put in place by school governors - i did a 4 yr stint as a parent governor - the heads face for some of the suggestions from others was priceless.

in rsponse to point 1 - total hours is a cop out, its easier to do a 48 hour week for 52 weeks than do all them hours in 39 weeks . some weeks i do in excess of 100 hours and i know that its easier to do that over 2 weeks than in 1 week.

my gripe with the original post was the inference that its an easy life and a skive. its NOT . you can post what you like but i would love to see a lot of those who think its easy, do it for a term

i you want to continue being a cockwomble over actual hours in 39 weeks you continue.

PK99

Legendary Member
you still fail to grasp the maximum hours that the kids can be there. you can't teach whats not there can you.

I don't fail to grasp that at all - the point is that the actual teaching is only part of a teachers job - essentially the 1265 directed hours. There is neither specification of nor agreement on what additional hours are reasonable to do the other aspects of the job - just my wife's job has no specified hours. Her time sheet shows a normal 45 hours for 45 weeks a year = 2025 hours not including lunch breaks (if she has time to take one, normally it is a mug of soup at her desk)

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't fail to grasp that at all - the point is that the actual teaching is only part of a teachers job - essentially the 1265 directed hours. There is neither specification of nor agreement on what additional hours are reasonable to do the other aspects of the job - just my wife's job has no specified hours. Her time sheet shows a normal 45 hours for 45 weeks a year = 2025 hours not including lunch breaks (if she has time to take one, normally it is a mug of soup at her desk)

not taking lunch or legal breaks as set out in contract of employment is just downright daft. and yes i do miss lunches more often than i care to admit. mine has no specified hours either, but my union has a great deal to say about work life balance. i can choose to not do extra and not be penalised.
teacher however as you keep pointing out have to do REASONABLE exrra hours to discharge duties. you cant keep adding extra and say oh its covered by reasonable. the NUT agree with me on this one. sadly a lot of heads don't think that a work life balance is important and will persecute those that don't do more and more and more. is that what you really want in education?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In my experience, most parents get arsy on this subject because they have to look after their kids for a day.

:popcorn:
In my opinion that is one of the reasons I like them. When you have more than one child, it might mean that you get to spend some time with one or two of them rather than all of them so can do something that the older/younger sibling wouldn't want to do. Or you can choose to go to somewhere like Legoland and hope that there will be fewer people there than normal. As long as the school publishes the dates with good notice. I already have all the INSET dates for next year.

Paul J

Whats the problem with long hours, earning a yearly salary that is way above what alot of educated people earn and having long holidays. If you don't like it move aside and work in a factory for 60 hrs a week on minimum wage. Then I think you might have a perspective on the real world, rather than this elevated view that teachers all seem to have that their job is the hardest.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I am not saying it is right,joining on to days to a holiday but if teachers need to learn about new trends the trainers teaching them can not do the whole country in one go,but why does the hoe school have to shut if you have the IT being update and why can't a few schools in the area get together

jamin100

Guru
Well working in a school I can clearly see that some teachers work their butts off where as others just work the bare minimum...

However, I find its better to not be a teacher, work in a school and still get the 13 weeks off a year :smile: :smile:
I break up friday for 6 :smile: yay . . . (paid too)

Top Bottom