Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Can you all be named after characters from Captain Pugwash?!?
^_^
So.... who wants to be the cabin boy?

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Thanks for the advice and the offer of your brooks saddle Tommy. Unfortunately I have come to the realisation that my bike is actually to big for me and I should have bought a small size instead of a medium. I always find myself inching forward on the saddle and end up with my sitting bones not where they are supposed to be. My saddle is as far forward as it'll go so not sure if there's any other modifications I can make or positions I can try to improve this.
I already took advantage of Evans saddle return policy and tried what seemed like a very padded saddle but it was no better at all. Next step may be to try a smaller frame.

Find a saddle post where the saddle mount is central above the saddle pillar i.e. '0 set back'
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/components/finishing-kit/seat-posts/

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hi Guys
A friend of mine has invited me to ride the Welsh velothrone charity cycle ride in July I believe.
It's a 140k with some serious climbs.
Has anybody done this ride before as it looks like a brute and I'm wondering if I should consider it as my longest ride to date is 60 miles tops.
I think @Add did this ride last year - hopefully he'll see this and be able to advise you on what to expect

Reactions: Add

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Find a saddle post where the saddle mount is central above the saddle pillar i.e. '0 set back'

I like the look of this

3-IMG_2254.jpg

Daddy Pig

Veteran
The other problem is that your knees will probably be too far forward due to the position of the saddle being pushed forward which can cause issues. A correct frame size will put you in a better position. Are you able to transfer existing kit from one frame to another/is it worth it? This could be a cheap option if possible.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I like the look of this

View attachment 335485
I don't, it looks like there's a bit missing....

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
Hi Guys
A friend of mine has invited me to ride the Welsh velothrone charity cycle ride in July I believe.
Has anybody done this ride before as it looks like a brute and I'm wondering if I should consider it as my longest ride to date is 60 miles tops.
Hi there. Yes I did it last year, it's a great Sportive. I am assuming it is the one that starts and finishes in Cardiff, and takes in the Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain? These are the two main climbs, but the rest is pretty tame. The first 50km are pretty much pancake flat and perfect for warming up the legs and getting a bunch of distance behind you. Do it I say, I loved it. There is always someone to tuck in behind.

kipster

Guru
Hi Guys
I did the first one, only two hills of significance, the tumble is 2.8 miles of 8%, but it is fairly steady. Caerphilly mountain is much shortly but a bit steeper 10%+ but not too bad, and once at the top it is 7 miles of descent and flat to Cardif. The first 50% of the ride is flat (apart from a small bit by the Celtic Manor hotel), I did the first 25 miles at 21mph average.17.8 average for the ride, just under 5 hours in total. It's closed road so no stopping at lights, junctions or roundabouts.

Top Bottom