Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
Pack sub2 at 7-15 Whorty.
Or KISS C/D 45 minutes later. I'll be riding with the C's, but won't reveal my target W/kg for the ride :-)

AAAC 76C

Large Member
I run Schwalbe One (25c) tyres on my carbon Powertap wheels (they aren't tubeless ready) and they've been great.

Previously I've used Bontrager R3 Tubeless tyres and they were fine, just had one puncture I noticed, a screw through the sidewall, and it nearly sealed the massive hole, but not quite.

Just got some Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 25c for my Dura Ace wheels, hoping they will be as good as the non-tubeless ones. I managed to fit them without levers (first time for tubeless) and they sealed really easily. The Shimano valves don't have removable cores, making adding the sealant a pain, but I just pour it into the tyre carefully before I fit the last few inches, and then make sure it runs round to the bottom before fitting the last bit of the rim.

I use the Bontrager sealant (bought a big bottle online) and I read in tests that it didn't dry out in a year and was one of the best performing, so I've stuck with it. I've taken tyres off after a year and found plenty of sealant still liquid. I will worry about refreshing the sealant when/if it stops sealing, I think I would probably replace the tyre after two seasons anyway.

I bought a fancy Bontrager track pump, which I can pump up to 100+ psi and then dump the lot into the tyre in one go, which makes fitting tubeless tyres much easier. Before that I burned out an air compressor and nearly gave myself another stroke trying to seal the tyre with a normal track pump, while the sealant pissed out the sides!

My wife's new bike (Specialized Ruby) claims to have tubeless wheels and tyres (2Bliss?) but came with tubes and without tubeless valves, so I guess I need to buy some valves. I'm not sure I like the specialized tyres, they have a minimum pressure of 100psi on the sidewall, which seems daft for 26c tyres. Tempted to bin them and get some Schwalbe Pro Ones in 28mm, but hate to waste brand new tyres!

I would feel much safer with all the family running tubeless tyres, seems less chance of a blow out at speed and also less chance of the tyre coming off the rim. Can always fit a tube if a puncture doesn't seal, although it would be messy and quite hard work by the road side.

Geoff

So long gone are the days that the only thing you would consider putting in your tyres was air.
I think I'll stick to the indoor stuff, this outdoor cycling seems so complex now.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
So long gone are the days that the only thing you would consider putting in your tyres was air.
I think I'll stick to the indoor stuff, this outdoor cycling seems so complex now.
I had to look up 'tubs' and 'clinchers' earlier as I had no idea what everyone was talking about :sad: As I have normal wheels, with tyres that have inner tubes and air I'm assuming I have clinchers :blush:

CXRAndy

Guru
For those it may be of interest:tongue:
Ive collated the TdY 100K results in time order. I came just slightly below half way out of 2300 or so riders. Pretty pleased considering I weigh at the upper end of small moon :hyper:

Slowest speed, just over 1mph up a 36% incline :laugh:

Attachments

• Tour de Yorkshire 2017 100K results time order.xlsx
    218.1 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member

Otherwise known as a Track Stand.

Well done Sir regardless of your slowest speed as it is the average that really counts

Remember what goes up must come down. I would imagine a Small Moon gaining a lot of Potential Energy on such a steep climb and once released at the summit would be very hard to stop!

I assume you gathered no moss on the downhills then?

bobinski

Legendary Member
For those it may be of interest:tongue:
Ive collated the TdY 100K results in time order. I came just slightly below half way out of 2300 or so riders. Pretty pleased considering I weigh at the upper end of small moon :hyper:

Thats a bkool incline! You are used to that ^_^

Well done-great time.

How can anyone do it in 2h and 45min???

CXRAndy

Guru
Otherwise known as a Track Stand.

Well done Sir regardless of your slowest speed as it is the average that really counts

Remember what goes up must come down. I would imagine a Small Moon gaining a lot of Potential Energy on such a steep climb and once released at the summit would be very hard to stop!

I assume you gathered no moss on the downhills then?

It was rather nice freewheeling constantly picking up pace overtaking many that left me behind on the climbs, long descents did reduce weight penalty.

Bob, near the end where I was just surviving, some riders were absolutely motoring by, with loads of spare energy. I have to take my hat off to those who got early 4 hours or better, true mountain goats. My club, the best time was 4hr20.

I learnt a few lessons re, fuelling and hydration, which I'll try to avoid repeating in Wales.

bobinski

Legendary Member
It was rather nice freewheeling constantly picking up pace overtaking many that left me behind on the climbs, long descents did reduce weight penalty.

Bob, near the end where I was just surviving, some riders were absolutely motoring by, with loads of spare energy. I have to take my hat off to those who got early 4 hours or better, true mountain goats. My club, the best time was 4hr20.

I learnt a few lessons re, fuelling and hydration, which I'll try to avoid repeating in Wales.

What did you take and eat/drink? 2 work colleagues did 100m in the chilterns at the weekend and one says he bonked badly near the end largely because he couldnt take another gel.

CXRAndy

Guru
I foolishly only drank 1.6 litres for the whole ride and slightly under fuelled with food. Cramps set in and only relieved after taking a banana. My face was crusty from salts in the sweat. I remember when in Tenerife I was drinking more with electrolyte drinks and didn't once cramp. So more fluid with electrolytes needed

bridgy

Legendary Member
I've just just uploaded the ride so it will appear in Strava and Bkool(greyed out presently)

7800ft climbing:eek:. Alot commented on how there were many more climbs between the categorised ascents. Just remembered on the 4th to last climb, you entered this private road, tree lined with a full canopy. For about a mile or so it was beautiful with the sunlight beaming through the trees. At the end was a mother of climbs. Ahead riders were falling like 10 pins:laugh: first one with cramp, he lay there thumping his thigh trying to kill the cramp, then another fell who couldn't get round him, then another jumped off his bike hobbling around a vain in an attempt to stave of heavy cramp. I must admit it nearly happened to me:tongue:

Strava estimate I was just shy 500Watts for the first climb (listed 41 out of 100climbs)? :biggrin:

Cycling-weekly has an article of the crowds around the route. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...at-incredible-amazing-and-crazy-crowds-327992

I must say :thumbsup:. They were very supportive and encouraging. They were offering water at the bottom of climbs for us poor sportive riders.
Well done Andy - saw your ride on Strava the other day, sounds like a good hard ride with quite a few people having bitten off more than they could chew!

A good warm-up for the Double Devil - just need to double the distance and throw in another 3000 feet or so of climbing ^_^

So gutted not to be able to join you guys in Wales for the DD - I hope it's a success and can be repeated again next year!

Fingers crossed for good weather for you....

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I see you've been putting in some big miles too Bridgy well done mate. It's a real shame you won't be in Wales.

With regards the rehydration I've bought some with electrolytes and caffeine in them which seems to make sense. I don't drink coffee so it could turn me a bit mental.

kipster

Guru
I see you've been putting in some big miles too Bridgy well done mate. It's a real shame you won't be in Wales.

With regards the rehydration I've bought some with electrolytes and caffeine in them which seems to make sense. I don't drink coffee so it could turn me a bit mental.
Save the caffeine for the mind starts to wander, it's a mental stimulant, it doesn't help muscles, it just makes you beleive your muscles can do it!

Top Bottom