Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Cyclechat mammoth
There is always one who has to be different!

keithaitch

Veteran
A quick Rouvy update. I hoped to write a more detailed appraisal of the platform and its simulator but haven't had time today for work reasons. Work don't you just hate how it gets in the way of cycling! I have done one race, against ghosts (no bots) though I didn't complete it, too tired after yesterday and saving energy for tomorrow! Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen a 13 km 8% climb! The video streamed exceptionally well, but the was NO DRAFTING and NO ON SCREEN REPRESENTATION of other riders. The on screen metrics were good though, better than bkool in my opinion , for example it gave details of the other riders speed and watts. the display and overall experience in general was really good, the data seemed pretty accurate and the gradient changes much smoother than bkool. Other things to mention so far. It seems like a complete platform, though only offering video or map options. The races are easy to set up and can be password protected. There is no league facility. The response s from the help desk have been quick, within two hours, personal, helpful and courteous. The app looks good but the Sim is NOT available for Mac Os yet. I would recommend people try it out and if anybody wants to join the race/group bumble, its set for 19:30 tomorrow (but you can join earlier and it then starts automatically at start time, ill be there from 19:20) it will be an easy warm up for tomorrow's main event! I'm there as keithaitch and then, once installed, in the online races option look for chaingang rouvy test#1 and register. The password is chase.
If there is other functionality people who aren't going to test it out want checking out let me know and I'll look into it. I'll write a more comprehensive review, highlighting pros and cons vis a vis other platforms after tomorrows race and a bit more playing around with it on my own, if that doesn't make me go blind!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
A quick Rouvy update. I hoped to write a more detailed appraisal of the platform and its simulator but haven't had time today for work reasons. Work don't you just hate how it gets in the way of cycling! I have done one race, against ghosts (no bots) though I didn't complete it, too tired after yesterday and saving energy for tomorrow! Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen a 13 km 8% climb! The video streamed exceptionally well, but the was NO DRAFTING and NO ON SCREEN REPRESENTATION of other riders. The on screen metrics were good though, better than bkool in my opinion , for example it gave details of the other riders speed and watts. the display and overall experience in general was really good, the data seemed pretty accurate and the gradient changes much smoother than bkool. Other things to mention so far. It seems like a complete platform, though only offering video or map options. The races are easy to set up and can be password protected. There is no league facility. The response s from the help desk have been quick, within two hours, personal, helpful and courteous. The app looks good but the Sim is NOT available for Mac Os yet. I would recommend people try it out and if anybody wants to join the race/group bumble, its set for 19:30 tomorrow (but you can join earlier and it then starts automatically at start time, ill be there from 19:20) it will be an easy warm up for tomorrow's main event! I'm there as keithaitch and then, once installed, in the online races option look for chaingang rouvy test#1 and register. The password is chase.
If there is other functionality people who aren't going to test it out want checking out let me know and I'll look into it. I'll write a more comprehensive review, highlighting pros and cons vis a vis other platforms after tomorrows race and a bit more playing around with it on my own, if that doesn't make me go blind!

Good write up Keith

No 3D or drafting? Meh....

bridgy

Legendary Member
@bobinski @CXRAndy is there any way to informally organise your own race on Zwift? If nothing else, if you arranged to start a certain course at a certain time and all joined together would that work? (obviously there would be loads of other riders everywhere making it very hard to keep track of each other). That hack that allows you to ride any Zwift course, not just the current default one as per their calendar - I assume you would just be on your own if you did that so couldn't meet up on a quiet route that way?

keithaitch

Veteran
Agreed, thanks Keith. The lack of drafting and visually seeing other riders is a shame as I think that removes a big part of the enjoyment of online racing
I agree too . I will keep on investigating rouvy but think, for what we want, we really have to hope bkool gets its act together . Interestingly i read a review of online platform, in bike radar I think and bkool was the only one that literally ticked all the boxes, it is the only platform that satisfies the trainers and the racers amongst us.. Now if it would just work all the time!

threerock44

Just thought I'd give my 1st impressions of Bkool. Got a Smart Pro 2 for Christmas - intending mainly to use it for Zwift. But a bug in the latest release of the Bsim software (missing ANT-FC_E button) stopped it pairing to Zwift (now sorted due to a beta release for the lastest Bkool Sim 3.53 that was leaked onto the Zwift helpline in the US!). Bkool itself has been fairly infuriating with the platform failures of the last week, brush-off responses to inquiries, the arcane way listings of rides appear, stop-start videos despite a good internet connection etc etc. BUT, having tried Zwift last night, the riding experience is so much nicer on Bkool - Zwift is so crowded, the way riding up a hill feels so much more real on Bkool, the draft sensation in 3D feels much truer to real life. Was hoping to join the handicap races here but I work until 7 on Tuesdays so no joy there. But if Bkool get their act together, on the whole, I think I'll stay with them when my free 3 months has lapsed.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Just thought I'd give my 1st impressions of Bkool. Got a Smart Pro 2 for Christmas - intending mainly to use it for Zwift. But a bug in the latest release of the Bsim software (missing ANT-FC_E button) stopped it pairing to Zwift (now sorted due to a beta release for the lastest Bkool Sim 3.53 that was leaked onto the Zwift helpline in the US!). Bkool itself has been fairly infuriating with the platform failures of the last week, brush-off responses to inquiries, the arcane way listings of rides appear, stop-start videos despite a good internet connection etc etc. BUT, having tried Zwift last night, the riding experience is so much nicer on Bkool - Zwift is so crowded, the way riding up a hill feels so much more real on Bkool, the draft sensation in 3D feels much truer to real life. Was hoping to join the handicap races here but I work until 7 on Tuesdays so no joy there. But if Bkool get their act together, on the whole, I think I'll stay with them when my free 3 months has lapsed.
The video's can be hit and miss on bkool. Most of the time, like 97%, I have no issues, but once in a while it falls over and I end up on 3D.

For video rides BigRingVR is very stable streamed and it also allows the dl'ing of the video to be ridden off line. Quality wise they knock the bkool videos on their back, with upto 1080p videos available. IME the gradient transitions are smoother and the performance I get feels more realistic, iow it kicks my butt.

There are quite a few platforms out there to try, not just bkool and zwift. Most do a trial period or work a monthly subscription system BigRing is currently free give it a whirl.

CXRAndy

Guru
Paul I don't see why it wouldn't work. For example everyone signed into a B cat race. The race starts, but we, 'Cyclechat riders' say waited 30 sec's or a minute then started.

Alot of rides allow late starting, so handicap races could be held aswell. I'll try waiting on the line to see how long before Zwift does something or kick you out

The races are usually closed, so you only see those riders who joined that particular race. If waiting on the start line works then in essence you're riding only with Cyclechat members. B or A cat must be chosen so that they disappear up the road and we don't catch them.

We could say to stop racing on one platform becoming stale pick one or two races per month on the other

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Paul I don't see why it wouldn't work. For example everyone signed into a B cat race. The race starts, but we, 'Cyclechat riders' say waited 30 sec's or a minute then started.

Alot of rides allow late starting, so handicap races could be held aswell. I'll try waiting on the line to see how long before Zwift does something or kick you out

The races are usually closed, so you only see those riders who joined that particular race. If waiting on the start line works then in essence you're riding only with Cyclechat members. B or A cat must be chosen so that they disappear up the road and we don't catch them.

We could say to stop racing on one platform becoming stale pick one or two races per month on the other
Interesting, I can see how that could potentially work. Some of the slower riders may possibly get swept up by the cat c's perhaps? And it might muck up your stats on Zwift Power a bit if that was an issue for you I suppose? A good idea though - we should suggest giving it a try in the splitters thread!

Top Bottom