Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Let's stop this helpful cr@p. If it wasn't for drafting Whorty @Del C would have beaten me yesterday.
:okay:

I was thinking about going back to get @Del C yesterday and bring him up to you before I bailed so you could ride together but he dropped a bit too far back and I wouldn't have had the legs to drag him back to you before I popped. Once he went over 20 seconds back the chance was gone :sweat:

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
Is the Bkool website down atm?

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I once had an inner tube go BANG at about 110psi - scared the sh1t out of me and had that whole family running in to see what had exploded - was really loud!! Ever since then I haven't had the nerve to go above 120psi so that's the max for me!
I hit a large piece of metal heading down cheddar gorge which shredded tyre and inner tube with a loud bang 20 years ago. I managed to get around the bend at about 30 mph before stopping. Scary moments!

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
I have logged out of BKool.com and now it won't let me log back in. I was trying to log a friend in, but now we are both out in the cold. Keep getting some 'too many redirects' message.

Don't advise anyone to log out of their Bkool accounts atm.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
I haven't had the nerve to go above 120psi so that's the max for me!

When a tube 700c tyre goes it is the inner tube that gives.
The tyre may well split but as soon as it does little Lenny Latex just pops his head out the hole and gets killed (latex or not).
The tyre pressure is also immediately reduced to zero due to the low volume of air and thus the pressure on the tyre is relieved.
A few bits of shrapnel may be blasted out and with modern day tyres some of that may include kevlar but death from tyre debris is very very very very unlikely.
Likewise on tubless, if the failure is more than small hole, the pressure loss is almost instantaneous but very low volume hence low energy.

When a tubeless car tyre fails it is the tyre failing and so the debris can often be larger and as Bill says the volume of pressurized air and therefore the total energy behind it is much larger than a skinny, in comparison, bicycle tyre.

I have never seen a max pressure rating on a steel or allow bicycle rim however carbon rims may be subject to one, but I have never felt the need to lash out on carbon for indoor riding.

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
When a tube 700c tyre goes it is the inner tube that gives.
The tyre may well split bit as soon as it does little Lenny Latex just pops his head out the hole and gets killed (latex or not).
The tyre pressure is also immediately reduced to zero due to the low volume of air and the pressure on the tyre is relieved.
A few bit of shrapnel may be blasted out and with modern day tyres some of that may include kevlar but death from tyre debris is very very very very unlikely.
Likewise on tubless, if the failure is more than small hole, the pressure loss is almost instantaneous but very low volume hence low energy.

When a tubeless car tyre fails it is the tyre failing and so the debris can often be larger and as Bill says the volume of pressurized air and therefore the total energy behind it is much larger than a skinny, in comparison, bicycle tyre.

I have never seen a max pressure rating on a steel or allow bicycle rim however carbon rims may be subject to one, but I have never felt the need to lash out on carbon for indoor riding.

One of my sets of aluminium rims has a max tyre pressure rating of 80psi written on it

AAAC 76C

Large Member
something I've noticed as I've got stronger, and it is something that @AAAC 76C said ages ago, is if you can keep the power on especially when you hit inclines the Sim or trainer or both, don't know exactly, will let you can keep some of that higher speed and power. When I was just starting out, I'd hit a small incline and just pulling off the little power I had would have a big impact on the resistance and speed. Now, I can power into the inclines and for the time I can hold that power the speed stays good. As soon as I drop down the power the speed drops, and even if I go back to the original power I can't get the speed back up again. I think this is the 'fairy dust' that the strong riders see - holding 300+ power is the key I believe.

Couldn't agree more.
However in this weeks NCQ stage, although effectively flat, the climbs were long enough for the resistance to kick in.

My belief is that BKool 'patented' Inertia is the culprit.
Rather than calculating the data point to data point affect of your inertia when the slope condition changes they have implemented a delay based on your entry speed into the slope change.
Hit a short 2% at 50+kph and:
At the point that the SW is saying 'inertia delay over', 'set resistance to current slope'
You are going down the other side so it reduces the resistance and you accelerate from your entry speed having never slowed down.
However, as I am often reminded, like just before the finish in this weeks NCQ stage, it also delays the reduction in resistance have reached the crest of a climb which is also bonkers.

Despite all these shortcomings vs reality this is one of the reasons I stay with BKool.
Basically I have 'a need for speed' and BKool gives you that.
Go into the real world on cluttered roads and you are constantly passed by motor vehicles which reduces the effect of your own speed unless you are a fan of city commuting where you can often go faster than four wheeled traffic thus giving you more of a speed rush.

So I would be the first to admit that for all its failings I enjoy the Virtual 'Game' that is BKool because it give me a rush and keeps me fit.
I remember commenting not so long ago after a CG ride where @BILL S , @Daddy Pig , @bridgy and myself stormed a flat circuit lapping slower riders on the way because it gave me such a buzz.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
...and here I was thinking that a trainer tire was for trainers. I’m also on an old pretty heavy wheel on my cx-bike. Will try my RS81, co-incidentally, with my summer tires still on and with a better cassette, on Tuesday. A bit hesitant to pump up the tire pressure too much though, as I’m a bit om the heavy side...have blown a couple of tires in the past. I’m guessing weight has something to do with it. On the upside I have never had any problems with slippage on the pro, probably due to weight (or oustanding skills :becool:). Let’s see how I do now (probably similiar to when I though a better bike, with brand new zipp wheels would be a substantial improvement. Turns out legs and lungs seems to also matter:sad:. And weight...but tall tends to limit chances of low weight....

Great posts (on all topics) by the way! Miss a day and have a full afternoon’s worth of reading up!
I'm 127kg and run 135-145psi on some maxxis refuse 28mm tyres. Softer than that and it feels really draggy. Just check out the max psi on your tyre and put in in. Anything above the max is at your own risk.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Nowt on mine, even looked at the manufactures web site.
What rims are they exactly Bridgy?
They are Superstar Components lightweight aero wheels (I forget the model name). Good wheels actually but I tend to use my campagnolo zondas on the trainer (which have no max pressure on them) so they're a bit redundant these days as my new(ish) Canyon road bike which is now my "outdoors" bike has disc brakes

AAAC 76C

Large Member
They are Superstar Components lightweight aero wheels (I forget the model name). Good wheels actually but I tend to use my campagnolo zondas on the trainer (which have no max pressure on them) so they're a bit redundant these days as my new(ish) Canyon road bike which is now my "outdoors" bike has disc brakes

I would think it would have to be a rim meant for larger tyres to have such a low max rating.
At 80kg or more fully togged that would make the contact patch of each tyre or 1.1 square inches which for a 25mm tyre would be about 1.5 inches long and probably more on the back tyre.

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
You guys seen the new Bkool direct drive turbo trainer they are releasing? Like a cheap Kickr, with a built in power meter and able to simulate up to 20% gradients? Looks interesting, or am I mentioning something you guys have already discussed to death?

Top Bottom