Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Thanks @gbrown
Am I right I’m assuming the Bluetooth adapter only works with the new model battery?
I have the old and when plugged in had no gears! So wasn’t much use! :wacko:

Yes, the bluetooth bit only works with the new battery, but the ANT+ indication of gear should work with the old battery.

I have one of the older d-fly units (SM-EWW01) which was ANT+ only and that displays the gears, but you can't program via bluetooth like the new ones.

In my experience the old wireless unit SM-EWW01 will give you Di2 info via ANT+ (battery level, gear info, etc.)
The new battery DN110 will give you the synchro shift (programmed via PC and charger)
The new wireless units (EW-WU111 or the external EW-WU101) give you bluetooth programming when used with the new battery

I've just found the EW-WU111 quite a bit less than I paid for mine at £57 at Sigma Sports, but you need a short Di2 wire too (c. £18)

If anyone wants the old one cheap I'll sell you mine (and upgrade my wife's bike to the new one)! :laugh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Update from Bkool regarding the problems we had on Tuesday and Thursday races.

Firstly a new release of the Sim is due on Monday. Basically they have a back up server that only kicks in at times of high usage - and this happened on Tuesday and Thursday night. Because the back up server is being updated first, when it kicked in, it caused the bug of not being able to see each other's rides. We can't replicate the problem now because usage is low so the other server hasn't kicked in and mucked everything up!

The full release of the new sim is due on Monday, after which the bug shouldn't happen again.

Would have been nice if they'd informed users in advance of course.

Edit: Of course, knowing Bkool the update will introduce a few brand new problems instead...!

Yes, the bluetooth bit only works with the new battery, but the ANT+ indication of gear should work with the old battery.

I have one of the older d-fly units (SM-EWW01) which was ANT+ only and that displays the gears, but you can't program via bluetooth like the new ones.

In my experience the old wireless unit SM-EWW01 will give you Di2 info via ANT+ (battery level, gear info, etc.)
The new battery DN110 will give you the synchro shift (programmed via PC and charger)
The new wireless units (EW-WU111 or the external EW-WU101) give you bluetooth programming when used with the new battery

I've just found the EW-WU111 quite a bit less than I paid for mine at £57 at Sigma Sports, but you need a short Di2 wire too (c. £18)

If anyone wants the old one cheap I'll sell you mine (and upgrade my wife's bike to the new one)! :laugh:
Well now you’ve fried my brain!

Am I right in thinking the old model can connect to Garmin 1000 to display gears without Bluetooth?? Sorry not too tech savvy

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Well now you’ve fried my brain!

Am I right in thinking the old model can connect to Garmin 1000 to display gears without Bluetooth?? Sorry not too tech savvy

Yes, if you have the old SM-EWW01 (and a short Di2 wire to connect it). I used this for a while, before the new battery came out with the bluetooth units, then moved it to my wife's Di2 bike, where it continues to display the gears on her Garmin, which she has never worked out how to use properly!

I shoved it down my seat tube after connecting it below my battery.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNXvXzEpLA

It may also work with the new bluetooth ones, even if you don't have the new battery, as it transmits gear info on ANT+ not bluetooth, but I can't guarantee that as I've not tried mine with the old battery (which is sitting on a shelf at the moment)!

Geoff

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
You lot are riding Science fiction futuristic machines. No idea what any of you are on about! Are you guys even pedalling?
I think we now know why they climb faster than us Adam ... it's not that they're fitter, they just have added help!

Reactions: Add

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
I think we now know why they climb faster than us Adam ... it's not that they're fitter, they just have added help!

Saves energy wasted changing gear manually! :laugh:

When I get back from a ride my Garmin tells me how many front and rear gear shifts have been made on the ride. The number of rear shifts can be quite alarming!

Yes, if you have the old SM-EWW01 (and a short Di2 wire to connect it). I used this for a while, before the new battery came out with the bluetooth units, then moved it to my wife's Di2 bike, where it continues to display the gears on her Garmin, which she has never worked out how to use properly!

I shoved it down my seat tube after connecting it below my battery.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNXvXzEpLA

It may also work with the new bluetooth ones, even if you don't have the new battery, as it transmits gear info on ANT+ not bluetooth, but I can't guarantee that as I've not tried mine with the old battery (which is sitting on a shelf at the moment)!

Geoff

Exactly what I had. But when I plugged in I had no gears so assumed wrong battery?
Any ideas

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Saves energy wasted changing gear manually! :laugh:

When I get back from a ride my Garmin tells me how many front and rear gear shifts have been made on the ride. The number of rear shifts can be quite alarming!
There could be a garmin iq app coming, from BaronBiosystems, that changes the gears for you. If Garmin decide to invest in the tech

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/bioshifts-automated-shifting.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/bioshifts-automated-shifting.html
"On the head unit piece, that’s something that could actually live in a Garmin Connect IQ style application, should Garmin choose to expand it to the Edge product line. Because Garmin opens up an ANT channel, it’s something that would actually fit the exact requirements of Bioshift."

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Thanks @Del C mines a 52/36 aswell understand the cross chain, think ill put a new chain on aswell maybe an extra link?
:okay:
I'd also suggest getting away from Shimano chains as they are not very strong and the link pin is a real weakness. I changed to kmc after two ultegra chains blew to pieces and have no problems at all. They also use a link chain which is a much stronger design and allows you to take the chain off and on easily without replacing any bloody parts!

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Exactly what I had. But when I plugged in I had no gears so assumed wrong battery?
Any ideas

Not sure what you mean by "no gear", do you mean gears did not display on your Garmin Edge, or that your gears stopped working?

Did you upgrade the firmware for all your di2 components in e-tube? Often a new part like the d-fly will require a firmware upgrade for at least some of the other parts (like the battery or the derailleurs).

Did the EWW01 show up in a sensor search on the Garmin? If so, you have to connect and configure the sensor, then configure one or more of the data fields to display the type of Di2 information you want. I just use a simple gear ratio (e.g. 50-12), with the Di2 battery level and the shift mode on a different page.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Any ideas

To be clear, do you have the old (non-bluetooth) external SM-EWW01? Or the newer EW-WU101?

If you have the old EWW01 it definitely does not need the newer battery, mine worked fine long before the new battery was released.

If so, probably a firmware issue.

To be clear, do you have the old (non-bluetooth) external SM-EWW01? Or the newer EW-WU101?

If you have the old EWW01 it definitely does not need the newer battery, mine worked fine long before the new battery was released.

If so, probably a firmware issue.

thank Geoff I'm quite convinced its a firmware issue, I will have another go but thanks again I know it must be like explaining to a child :thumbsup:

BILL S

Guru
I'd also suggest getting away from Shimano chains as they are not very strong and the link pin is a real weakness. I changed to kmc after two ultegra chains blew to pieces and have no problems at all. They also use a link chain which is a much stronger design and allows you to take the chain off and on easily without replacing any bloody parts!
SRAM make the best chains for the least money as far as I'm concerned. I have never had any trouble with SRAM and have put them through their paces with the mtn biking I used to do.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
That's the one!

The problem is, that it worked for ONE racemaster on Tuesday (and only after him restarting the session), not the other two in the Danish league.

Yesterday it didn't work for any of the 3 groups and not in the CG either. One however reported he was able to find one of the racemasters, but in that race, the racemaster was only spectator!

My fear is, that the error is kind of random, like so so many other Bkool errors/oddities.

Reactions: Add
Top Bottom