Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Warmup usually startsvat 5 PM UK, which is 50 minutes from now. But we CAN do it later, if you prefer. Usually not many takers on a Saturday night!

Unfortunately now is all I have. Got to take lovely wife to visit her dad many many miles away. I will figure out how to sync up schedules, hopefully by the time hopalong randy is back in the saddle again.

shimceltic

Veteran
So, who is riding today?

Sorry I've been in the pub since 12

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Anyone riding this baby tonight?

1669293488715.png

shimceltic

Veteran
@shimceltic what's a virtual flywheel?

I don't know! When the tacx neo is plugged in you can have it feel like your freewheeling when you stop peddling, you still lose power but gives it a real feel.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
@shimceltic got it, my wahoo bike does a wee bit of that but non selectable.

No, your Wahoo (if it is a KICKR) has a REAL flywheel (that heavy round thing on your trainer :smile:). The NEO has a "virtual flywheel" as the resistance is all done through electromagnetism and the neodynium magnets in the spinning disc/plate.

What @shimceltic is referring to is "inertia" when going downhill. In the real world your wheel will keep on spinning, even if you stop pedalling, when going downhil. The same will happen on your KICKR, if you get physical flywheel up to speed, it will carry on spinning for some time and give you speed. The NEO simulates this behaviour when going downhill.

On the NEO however, if you turn off the wall power, the virtual flywheel and inertia will stop instantly and you will have to apply more power to keep the watts up. Therefore when on steep downhills, say -8% and more, it may be better to cut the wall power, as you can't apply enough power yourself without spinning at 120+ RPM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom