Teenager rebelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
1. when making a point of something, don't go on and on and on and on and onxx(
1. a) don't go on and on and on and on, apologise for going on, and then continue to go on and on

I am guilty of this...but only when it comes to important stuff...I never even mention ironing, cleaning etc...thing is if you get no response...I mean not even a nod or a grunt what is a paren tsupposed to do. Seems to me that after 15 years of love, support and friendship I am suddenly expected to disappear into thin air ....ever been dumped by somebody with no reason given?? It hurts about 500% more than that.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
What my parents do that annoy me.
1) My dad sometimes goes into a very happy lets annoy mode. So he wonders around looking for something to do, untill he needs another fag or a cup of coffee, then he buggers off
2) My mum forgets things, like forgetting she has asked me something, so she will ask again, and again. Or if i tell her something she wont remember it, so i dont tell her and she moans:wacko:
3)They think im still cycling alot, when im not doing anywhere near as much as i was
4)They mention not getting a text to say where i am when im on club rides, even though when i do tell them they will say, "wheres that" even when ive told them a few times now
5) They ask me to do things, when im already doing something, or my mum will shout something through to me for me to do, and expect me to do it, over the noise in the house. Or will tell me to do something whilst walking out the room, making it hard to know what she has actually said.
6) They moan i spend too long on the computer, even though im not doing anything wrong and they can see what i'm doing
7) Mum thinks i eat too much, but says ive got rather skinny:wacko:
8) My parents ask me to look something up on the internet or check the house emails when they can see im doing something on the internet and dont really want to be distracted.
To name a few. I have it easy though, no deflating of tyres to stop me going out, my clothes get washed because i put them on the wash pile, and im not bothered if it isnt done on time. It was annoying yesterday when i was at my GF's sat on the sofa with her and my phone went off. It was my dad texting me for no real reason. :evil:
I also get moaned at for not answering my phone while im riding along, even if i dont hear it through wind noise and other road noise, apparently i should do and should answer it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Our eldest wanted to be taken to the nearest shopping centre (it had really bad gridlock before Christmas where some people were stuck for literally hours). I'd already been there by bike to get a requested present for a neice from Toy's r Us - took me 25 mins, must have taken the same in the car to get there. But after we dropped her off it must have taken a further 30 mins to drive the 1 mile to the motorway. She was meant to be getting the bus home but oh no ... now she needs a lift. And I assume there will be no thanks for wasting our afternoon, delaying tea etc. Cost of this taxi is going to be a large pile of socks needing to be paired up:evil:) - and I do mean large. Still she is never having a lift there in the afternoon ever again... its a nightmare ... wish I had been on the bike to sail past all those folk.

Kovu

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
I think the teenagers that post on here seem to be very 'adult' and cool peeps...perhaps they could chime in here and make a list of stuff that parents do that piss off teenagers...as mine wont tell me:biggrin:

I feel important that I was called cool! :evil: Although that works the other way rounf, all the adults who post on here and very cool, and helpful in a noneadult way but still get the point across. All helpful so much!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...I think teenagers are cool, why wouldnt anybody...but it seems that they rebell against those closest to them...those that frankly don't deserve to be hurt. There's a communication breakdown switch they seem to flick...perhaps a lot of it is peer pressure...the other thing that I find difficult to get is why all the 'attitiude' (for want of a better word) is often not aimed at both parents but just the one..in this case me.

After much soul searching I really have decided that if my son wants to do it all his way so be it...but with freedom and independance comes responsibility and in some cases risk/danger...in short reality

Kovu

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
...I think teenagers are cool, why wouldnt anybody...but it seems that they rebell against those closest to them...those that frankly don't deserve to be hurt. There's a communication breakdown switch they seem to flick...perhaps a lot of it is peer pressure...the other thing that I find difficult to get is why all the 'attitiude' (for want of a better word) is often not aimed at both parents but just the one..in this case me.

After much soul searching I really have decided that if my son wants to do it all his way so be it...but with freedom and independance comes responsibility and in some cases risk/danger...in short reality

Because one parent tends to be more understanding. It's my mum with me. She's very over-protective and gets angry at the most tinest thing, which is why I will tend to argue back. When your a teenager hormones and all as well, but there's more important things in your mind then if your room is tidy or not.

ChrisKH

Guru
BigonaBianchi said:

I think sometimes it depends on the underlying reasons. You sound like a good Dad to me.

Personally my father was always very distant; he lost his mother when he was very young and his father married quickly to a woman who hated him. I'm not sure my father knew how to deal with teenagers as he had to be so independant when he was young and his father's guidance was missing. Ironic really; what is it they say? The sins of the father........ My mother had a nervous breakdown big time when I was 13. Two things happened after that. She was never the same woman again and with three other brothers and sisters who were much more needy I made a conscious decision never to be the reason for my parents problems and, effectively, rejected them both. Not attitude as such but just cut them off and lived my own life. From an analysis perspective I was doing it to stop any further pain, I think. I carried a lot of the blame for my mother's condition and blamed myself for her mental problems when the truth was I was just a small part of the problem, if at all. I thought at the time by not relying on them, I couldn't be blamed if things went wrong again. Silly really. Retrospectively I can see I did the worse thing because this is when I needed them most but didn't realise it. My parents never made any effort after that, although they did for my three siblings and I never really got over the inequality and unfairness of it all. I think my parents used to think I was coping without any help from them. The truth was very different and I was too proud most of the time to ask for help or use the bank of Mum and Dad like my brothers and sisters did (frequently and without shame, from memory).

Where's a psychiatrist when you need one? ;)

Sorry. Not sure where this came from or how much help this is, but you don't sound like you have done a bad job up to now. Independance is no bad thing as it prepares people for later life. Don't blow all your bridges, though. :biggrin:

sheva

Fab Foodie said:
I got some of that... I took the doors off and put them in the garage for 2 weeks.
I've also cut plugs off the TV and Computers before now to make a subtle point!

we used to take the fuses out of the plugs. really annoyed them as there was no way to get the tv/dvd on again.:cheers:

Cranky

BigonaBianchi said:
I am guilty of this...but only when it comes to important stuff...I never even mention ironing, cleaning etc...thing is if you get no response...I mean not even a nod or a grunt what is a paren tsupposed to do. Seems to me that after 15 years of love, support and friendship I am suddenly expected to disappear into thin air ....ever been dumped by somebody with no reason given?? It hurts about 500% more than that.

I'm glad it's not just me.:cheers:

mondobongo

Über Member
No teenagers available to comment on at the moment. We had our moments but hey its all part of growing up and doesn't change that much.

Eldest Granddaughter made me laugh the other night she is nearly 9 her response when my missus asked if she had been kissing any boys 'Granny you are gross' she is going to be such a teenager I can see it now.

Willow

Well my 12 year old got told today if he doesn't want to make his sandwiches for school and wants me to do it for him then he doesn't get the £5 a week I give him for making his own. If he doesn't clean his school shoes today then the new trainers that I bought last week (when he didn't want to come to the shops and didn't need new trainers!) can go back in the box. In between all this I was reduced to tears with the it's my room stuff, get out, I want to go to dads this afternoon (so he doesn't have to clean his shoes!) etc etc. Meanwhile the 10 year old is sweetness and light to make his brother look worse - the ball was on the other foot during the week! I did think about the reply which mentioned packing a case but thought he was a bit young, perhaps I;ll pack it for me next time and see what happens!

Top Bottom