Television tech talk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I agree. They often have the contrast, brightness and colour settings too high for a start.

The first thing I did with my new TV was to look up recommended settings on a TV tech website (can't remember which one). They made a big difference and it was easier starting from those settings and making a few subtle changes rather than trying to start from the defaults.
+1. My new sooper-dooper 4K Samsung had to have the colour reset to 'Movie' (if I remember rightly), to tone down the Wizard of Oz garishness that was its default. Massive improvement.

keithmac

Guru
As said above the Samsungs ship out and are displayed in "Dynamic" mode, it shows how bright and colourful the screen can be BUT it's no use for normal viewing.

First thing to do is set in "Movie" mode, bare in mind every source has it's own setting so needs to be done for each one.

My Samsung LED is 7 or 8 years old now, keep mulling over a new one but truth be told there's nothing wrong with this one!.

Ultra HD is very nice but you need the sources to support it.

keithmac

Guru
Also worth noting the name on the front of the TV isn't necessarily an indication of who made it.

I believe Panasonic, Toshiba and Sharp are just a "name" now.

Samsung still make there own TV's.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also worth noting the name on the front of the TV isn't necessarily an indication of who made it.

I believe Panasonic, Toshiba and Sharp are just a "name" now.

Samsung still make there own TV's.
That’s only so for the real entry level Panasonics sold at supermarkets. JL or RS higher cost models should be made by whoever owns Panasonic

Sharp certainly tho, ditto Hitachi

irw

Quadricyclist
So I want a new tv. My Bravia is over 8 years old now.

So 50 to 60 inch.
Budget around £600.
Must be Bang per buck.
Samsung and LG ideally but others welcome if they are within the parameters set above.

Let’s find my new screen for Xmas and the World Cup.

:smile:

What's wrong with the old one? My Logik 32" TV is getting on for 12 years old, and I can't think of any reason to replace it :s

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good point... @Milzy if it's not broke, don't fix it and spend the money on another bike :okay:
But ... if the original bike is "not broke", then that doesn't need "fixing" either! :okay:

(I have a 16 year old mountain bike, 2 road bikes each about 15 years old, and a singlespeed bike made from an old frame and spare parts. Mind you, I did buy a 2 year old CX bike about a year and a half ago so I suppose that I ignored my own advice ...)

Broadside

Guru
You should look out for UHD/4K, avoid HD and Full HD as this is an old standard.

There are lots around for £549 for 49”, going up to 55” you might have to increase budget slightly over £600.

They all accept a standard aerial, some also contain an inbuilt freesat so consider that if you need to plug in to an existing satellite dish.

Also look out for TVs with WiFi, much handier than having to use a wired Ethernet connection

Some TVs also allow you to plug in a USB hard drive and record content and pause live TV without needing an external set top box like Sky or YouView etc.

Here are a couple of options that do all of this stuff.

https://m.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia...Vo7ftCh10iwCSEAQYASABEgL61fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://m.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue5...tal-colour-silver-ultra-hd-certified/p3215464

Top Bottom