Television tech talk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This is the most I would ever pay for a TV.

https://www.ebuyer.com/801816-seiki-se55fo07uk-55-full-hd-tv-se55fo07uk

Image quality is so good now that blowing a fortune on 4K seems rather pointless.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not forgetting 3D
Ha ha - I have a 3D TV, but I have never even bothered taking the special glasses out of their box!

I toyed with getting a 4k TV 2.5 years ago when I bought the current set but decided that I would 'make do' with HD for the time being and upgrade to 4k (+HDR?) at a later date if finances permitted it.

I would be interested in a 4k TV for use as a computer monitor actually. I have some music software which is a real pixel-hog. At the moment, I have to overlay numerous windows and switch between them, and also do a lot of scrolling. A huge 4k TV would be great for that application!

gbb

Legendary Member
Another reminder of how tv' s in particular are better value year after year. My Panasonic 48 inch plasma, granted it was high spec when I got it, Freesat ready, internet ready (Not smart though)..circa 10 years ago was just under £1K iirc.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I dont have a bluray player, but don't feel i am missing out on anything.
I have one from years ago and never used it yet. I’m happy with the TV though it has the ability to upscale content to higher resolutions which is amazing.

ColinJ

I dont have a bluray player, but don't feel i am missing out on anything.
I got one a couple of years ago but didn't use it much until I bought my stepdaughter the Blu-ray boxed set of The Sopranos last Christmas. We have had a Blu-ray session most weeks since then. The picture quality is rather good, much better than standard DVD.

I’m happy with the TV though it has the ability to upscale content to higher resolutions which is amazing.
My TV does a pretty good job of upscaling, but I can tell the difference between upscaled DVD and Blu-ray.

My sister and brother-in-law (my other sister's husband) don't even bother watching the HD TV channels when they have perfectly good HD TVs and HD signal sources. It really irritates me. I told them that it is like them hiding my reading glasses when I want to read some small print. I can do it, but what I am looking at is a bit blurred when it doesn't have to be. They just shrug their shoulders and carry on.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I got one a couple of years ago but didn't use it much until I bought my stepdaughter the Blu-ray boxed set of The Sopranos last Christmas. We have had a Blu-ray session most weeks since then. The picture quality is rather good, much better than standard DVD.

My TV does a pretty good job of upscaling, but I can tell the difference between upscaled DVD and Blu-ray.

My sister and brother-in-law (my other sister's husband) don't even bother watching the HD TV channels when they have perfectly good HD TVs and HD signal sources. It really irritates me. I told them that it is like them hiding my reading glasses when I want to read some small print. I can do it, but what I am looking at is a bit blurred when it doesn't have to be. They just shrug their shoulders and carry on.
That would really irritate me. I have to have the best quality and sound or I may as well go blind and deaf early.

ColinJ

That would really irritate me. I have to have the best quality and sound or I may as well go blind and deaf early.
Exactly. I still enjoy watching old low resolution films or TV shows but why deprive yourself of quality when you have already paid for it!

Oops ... I forgot to put my reading glasses on, which explains why the screen on this laptop looks blurred! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

We rarely bother with the HD TV, we find the normal TV good enough.

Top Bottom