Tell us your "D'oh!" stories ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here are two tech-related D'oh! episodes that I have suffered recently:

#1 My Memory Map software suddenly stopped displaying altitude profiles. I use profiles a lot when planning my rides. This is an example of one, [HINT - for the forum ride currently advertised in my signature link, which you would LOVE, so click the link and sign up! :hello:]

settle-forum-ride-25-07-15-profile-jpg.93979.jpg

This problem needed fixing - FAST!

I put my tech hat on, and searched the Internet for clues. I made sure that all the files were where they were supposed to be. I deleted the software's temporary files in case any were corrupted. I checked the entire disk drive for errors. I scanned the software's registry entries - they looked ok. I toyed with reinstalling the software ...

But then I noticed that there actually was an elevation profile window, only I had accidentally dragged it to the very bottom of the screen so that only a couple of pixels of it were visible ... D'oh! :banghead:

#2 I went out for a ride this afternoon on my new cyclocross bike. When I got home, I tried to download the photos from my phone to put in a 'Your Ride Today' report. There weren't any photos! That was strange because I had taken at least 20.

Ah, I had probably forgotten to tell the phone to save the pictures on the new memory card rather than in phone memory. I looked at the phone memory instead. No photos!

Bloody technology! Why is it that it always seems to go wrong for me?

I was still pondering that question when I saw my new digital camera sitting next to my phone. That would be the camera I have just bought to take with me for ride photos. Like today for instance. The camera that I have just put the new memory card in. The one I took the photos with. The one without the lead plugged into it ... D'oh! :banghead:

Your turn! :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
I strayed into the forbidden zone, SC&P on this forum and posted a couple of times before realizing I did not have a written invite.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I was editing some photos in Photoshop and was getting very frustrated.
I shoved my Macbook at my husband and asked him to sort it for me as he's a whizz with PS.

Him: 'What do you want doing sweetheart?"
Me: 'I can't remove that mark, it's driving me insane!'
Him: 'That would be because it's a smudge on your screen....'
Me: :blush:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ha ha - now I am trying to work out why the phone's USB lead does not work with the camera! I thought I used it to test the camera but the connector is different so I couldn't have. (Cheapskates Canon did not supply a lead. TBH though - I have many USB leads, so I am glad not to be lumbered with another. There must be a lead elsewhere in the house which fits.)

The camera can actually communicate via wifi but I haven't set that up yet. I tried but the software wouldn't install!

As I wrote above - Bloody technology! :laugh:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Ha ha - now I am trying to work out why the phone's USB lead does not work with the camera! I thought I used it to test the camera but the connector is different so I couldn't have. (Cheapskates Canon did not supply a lead. TBH though - I have many USB leads, so I am glad not to be lumbered with another. There must be a lead elsewhere in the house which fits.)

The camera can actually communicate via wifi but I haven't set that up yet. I tried but the software wouldn't install!

As I wrote above - Bloody technology! :laugh:

Take the card out & plug it into the computer?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Take the card out & plug it into the computer?
I had forgotten that I have an SD card slot on the side of this laptop - I have never used it!

I'd rather not keep swapping the card in and out though. The lead can't be far away because I connected the camera to the laptop a few days ago. I just can't remember what lead I used.

Looks across room and instantly spots what looks like a USB lead poking out from a pile of cycling mags ...

As you were - D'oh! :banghead:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Discovering that my carefully rolled up, talcum powdered, sealed in freezer bags, stupidly not labeled, spare inner tubes got mixed up, so now I don't know if the right sized one is in my saddlebag ... or not! :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Discovering that my carefully rolled up, talcum powdered, sealed in freezer bags, stupidly not labeled, spare inner tubes got mixed up, so now I don't know if the right sized one is in my saddlebag ... or not! :wacko:
Which has just reminded me - I don't have any tubes designed to fit the 35 mm tyres on my CX bike. I reckon in an emergency, I could overinflate a 19-23 mm tube, but I really should buy some the right size - cheers for reminding me! :okay:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I was editing some photos in Photoshop and was getting very frustrated.
I shoved my Macbook at my husband and asked him to sort it for me as he's a whizz with PS.

Him: 'What do you want doing sweetheart?"
Me: 'I can't remove that mark, it's driving me insane!'
Him: 'That would be because it's a smudge on your screen....'
Me: :blush:
To save face (yours - see why in a sec) you could remind him PS has a smudge tool and get him to peer closely at the screen; then bash it against his nose – in a loving, corrective way of course.

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I had forgotten that I have an SD card slot on the side of this laptop - I have never used it!

I'd rather not keep swapping the card in and out though. The lead can't be far away because I connected the camera to the laptop a few days ago. I just can't remember what lead I used.

Looks across room and instantly spots what looks like a USB lead poking out from a pile of cycling mags ...

As you were - D'oh! :banghead:

Taking the card out will probably result in a quicker upload.

Top Bottom