Tell us your "D'oh!" stories ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Discovering that my carefully rolled up, talcum powdered, sealed in freezer bags, stupidly not labeled, spare inner tubes got mixed up, so now I don't know if the right sized one is in my saddlebag ... or not! :wacko:

Buy different colours of tape and tape the tubes for different bikes in those colours, using the appropriate coloured valve caps. Black for roadie, yellow for crosser and red for mountain bike. S'easy.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I often leave my cap and/or sunglasses in the LBS. The other week I was about three miles into my ride after leaving the LBS when I got a fly in my eye. Dammit, I've left my glasses again. Turned back and rode to the LBS, which was by now, very busy. I barged to the front and started searching the counter for my gegs to the bemusement of the owner. "What's up?", he says. "Forgot my gegs again.", says I. "You mean those gegs perched on the brim of your cap?", says he. Doh!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's another of mine, from the days when I worked at a factory in the Midlands ...

I got up suffering from a hangover after a night out at the pub with my mates. I trudged 2.5 miles to work and found the industrial estate eerily quiet. For some reason, the factory door was still locked. I loitered about for ages until it finally dawned on me that it was a bank holiday and the company was shut for the day! :blush:

Flew all the way to Detroit with a sample part we had designed and made to hand deliver it to the customer, only to get there and discover id not put it in my case...
Ouch! :laugh:
Taking the card out will probably result in a quicker upload.
I would if I were a proper photographer transferring hundreds of pictures but I only had 20 to do. The time saved in the faster download would be lost swapping the card out and then putting it back in again.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I have too many recent ones.... I spent an hour reframing a picture... checked the picture was all square and the right way up, refitted the mount and had just got all the tape renewed on the backing ... turned it over to see a strip of tape between the mount and the glass...

Spent another hour stripping down the lawn-mower power switch to renew the power cord on the lawn-mower to discover I'd put the socket pin end of the connector on the live end...

Rewired a new pendant on a ceiling light fitting and found that I hadn't put the screw-on casing onto the cable first so it all had to come off again...

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Back in the latter 90's around '96' or '97' my crew went down to the armoury for training, *by armoury I don't just mean a few guns in a cupboard*.

Anyway there was 'stuff' in there, 'stuff' that most regular civvies know nothing of but some might.

We were merrily handing round - 'rounds' of various types & descriptions, when the point came where I was handed a fair size casing of a smaller air to air/air to surface round.
As I grabbed the missile a coloured dummy packing fell to the ground from the open end & the entire crew hit the deck with head in hands.

Laughing uncontrollably for what seemed like days, my crew mates then nicknamed me "Semtex" for the last 3 years of my service.

:blush: I was right Royally fitted up Gov'.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That reminds me of my first visit to Damascus. My agent there was an elderly Syrian who had landed the contract after one of the Israeli wars to collect all the brass shell casings. He had a warehouse full of them and had a bloke who carved them with all kinds of beautiful Arabic designs and made them into lamp stands and pen pots and so on. He handed me quite a large shell casing with the words: (strong Arabic accent) "This is a Syrian army artillery shell. The....um.... front half went to Israel"

mustang1

Legendary Member
Many years ago I thought I'd impress this girl at a party by doing some break dancing. I don't know what you call it, but its when you put your whole body horizontal, face down, with only your hands supporting your weight at stomach level.

This manoeuvre is performed on the floor but for extra hotness I decided to do this on a 3 foot high wall (it was an outdoor party). As I put my hands on the wall and lined myself up to take the weight of my body, a very slight imbalance caused me to fall over the wall, head first.

Edit: fixed grammar.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
For LEL 2013 I prepared gps routes for each stage between controls. I used N1, N2, S1, S2 etc to signify Northbound, Southbound. Leaving Edinburgh I selected S1 and all was fine. I got to through Traquair and Eskdalemuir without really thinking about it. I blame lack of sleep. When I left Brampton I thought "Ok I've done S1, S2 and S3 so now I must be on S4 and duly set the unit". "Your start point is 60 miles away". Much cursing ensued and I almost gave up. I then thought hang on, so long as I don't try to ride in the dark I can just follow the breadcrumb track back south. I did this but was cursing all the way. It also resulted in me taking a very long detour on the way in to Barnard Castle. At each control, I tried again with the route just adding one to the number, each time my start point was roughly 60 miles away. "I'll get @arallsopp to have a look at it when I get to Market Rasen" I thought but he was sleeping. Nevermind I've got loads of time in the bag it'll be ok and it means I'll get more sleep cos I can't go anywhere in the dark.

When I was approaching Kirton I suddenly remembered a conversation I'd had with myself two weeks earlier: "When you get to Edinburgh, remember this. IT'S IMPORTANT. Southbound S1 takes you to Brampton not Traquair, S2 will then become Brampton to Barnard Castle and so on". A quick bit of arithmetic led me to working out I was now on S6 although I'd given up trying at around Thirsk. Entered S6 into the unit and sure enough a beep and an instruction that the next left was in 1,5 miles. If my feet hadn't been clipped into the pedals and burning like hell (another story) I would have kicked myself.!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OH, FFS!!!!!!! Sorry, D'oh! :wacko::blush::laugh:

Funny thing, the human mind ... What on earth has watching the highlights of a Tour de France stage got to do with Internet security? Why when watching a bunch of sweaty young men toiling up a steep hill in France on bikes did I suddenly realise that I had done something very stupid about 2 months ago when switching my broadband over to Plusnet and connecting a new wifi router? :whistle:

I live in a terraced house with no front garden - like the houses in Coronation Street! My front window is right next to a pavement used by lots of people. So why did I put the new router on the window ledge, with its back to the pavement?

If you haven't sussed it yet, most routers, including mine, have a sticker on the back bearing the wifi key/password ... :eek:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I decided id change my motorbike for my 40th..nothing unusual as i changed them constantely..
but for my 40th i decided id have a honda blacbird ..
so i pop into Taz bikes in pboro to peruse the hardware..
ohh thers one...in met red too..nice..
its parked in a line off 6,7 big bikes "blacbird is a 1100cc bike" sports tourer for the what's one of them ?

I squueze beetween the bikes and get along side this 230kg bike im 76kg..
i then go to move it out so i can throw a leg over..woops its roled off the side stand and fell on me.
i hit the bike next to me and that goes...as does the next 2...ffs ..my leg was trapped under this bike and thinking i may have a fracture..

I bought the bike and had them repair the dent in the tank i did with my hand trying to stop it..
manager said that's happened a few times..really i said..maybe you should give them a bit more room and check the stands...
ive never dropped a bike ever..that was embarrassing..and i spent £ 3700 to save paying the 500 he wanted for damage excess..
the bike was a cat D anyway and i part exchanged it 4 mth later at the same shop ..thought id never go in again but hey shoot happens

Last edited:
Top Bottom