Tell us your "D'oh!" stories ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That reminded me of visiting Morecambe (before I moved to the next town up the coast!).

Me and dad and sis thought we'd like to see the statue of Eric Morecambe that we'd heard about, so we parked up on the front and walked along the promenade, admiring all the bird statues and art. Got to the art deco hotel (still a wreck then) - no Eric. Turned and came back. Just getting in the car when we noticed teh statue we had been looking for - about 10 yards in the opposite direction. D'oh!

I was recently decorating so preceded to clear the room of furniture. I picked up a drawer and put it on its side and started walking away, only I didn't tilt it enough and it flipped back over and hit me on the back of my calf resulting in the following damage.
WP_20150723_001.jpg

Top layer of skin scuffed, burst blood vessels and one almighty bruise that is rainbow coloured... Ouch!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I stopped at IRMA (supermarket) on way home last night, bought some stuff for dinner.

This morning I could not, for the life of me, get my messenger bag to sit comfortably on my bike. Fortunately this annoyance only lasts 10 minutes.

Arrived at desk to so a wtf? bag search to find the half-litre bottle of beer I bought to drink last night still in the messenger bag. D'Oh!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I stopped at IRMA (supermarket) on way home last night, bought some stuff for dinner.

This morning I could not, for the life of me, get my messenger bag to sit comfortably on my bike. Fortunately this annoyance only lasts 10 minutes.

Arrived at desk to so a wtf? bag search to find the half-litre bottle of beer I bought to drink last night still in the messenger bag. D'Oh!

Still, at least you had something for elevenses so not a disaster

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Often, on my way to bed, I go downstairs roam the house, checking doors, windows, TV is off and not on standby etc, must remember to bring mobile upstairs with me as I use it for an alarm (I tend to charge it downstairs). I get all the way into bed, go to reach for the mobile....D'OH!:banghead:. Another visit downstairs....

I was at a large conference of maybe 300 people. In the lunch hall of a fairly swanky hotel where everyone had descended I walked straight up to the hot food counter. Ooh, lovely, chicken, beef and fish. I was starving so I grabbed a big old portion of each. As I wondered over to the veg's I saw the queue of around 100 people queuing to be served I'd just wandered in front of without noticing.

Then I heard the waiter quite purposely loudly for my benefit announce as he returned to his station for the first waiting person - What would you like sir, chicken, beef or the fish?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Ha ha!

I don't drink booze any more, but when I was a drinker, I never forgot that I had bought some. I often couldn't remember drinking it, but that's a different matter ... :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ha ha!

I don't drink booze any more, but when I was a drinker, I never forgot that I had bought some. I often couldn't remember drinking it, but that's a different matter ... :whistle:
After I drank the one already in the fridge, 7.7% I looked for the missing one. I concluded I must have changed my mind in the shop and not bought it! I blame the 12 hour days I've been working...

2015-07-24%2015.36.24.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Passed my test at 17..promised mum and dad I'd drive up that weekend to see them im Peterborough. Id always been a passenger of course prior to passing....I knew to drive through Newark, then turn onto the A1.....Southbound. I'd hitched it a few times.
A good many miles later I saw signs for Doncaster....I knew summat was wrong.:banghead:
'Hello mum, sorry, I'm not gonna make it today....I'll come tomorrow' :blush:

Always serviced my own cars....warmed the engine on one occasion, drained the oil, changed the filter, refilled with oil, being careful not to spill any over the engine etc....to look down and see an ever expanding pool of fresh oil spreading under my feet....dagnabit :angry:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I excelled myself this morning ... I was wondering why my porridge was taking so long to thicken up. I make it with a mix of water and milk so I can't see the bottom of the pan. I add raisins and mixed seeds and I could see them swirling about as I stirred the mix. I waited and waited, but the contents of the pan refused to thicken up. Eventually, the reason dawned on me ...

For thick porridge, include oats! :whistle: :blush: :laugh:

Brains

Legendary Member
Flew all the way to Detroit with a sample part we had designed and made to hand deliver it to the customer, only to get there and discover id not put it in my case...

A colleague of mine sent a ship inspector to Dhaka in Bangladesh to look at a ship.
We got a phone call (very difficult to arrange in those days) to say he was standing at wharf number three and there was no sign of the ship, and nor did any of the local agents know of it's arrival.

A phone call to the owners confirmed the ship was indeed at wharf number three, in the port of Dakar, Senegal.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Went to a friend's wedding reception once bearing a nice gift. Found the hotel, walked in, saw people in a big room to the left, turned left, deposited my gift with others on a table and went off to congratulate the happy couple. Slowly it began to dawn on me that most of the guests were Indian.... then I realised I should have turned right where a different wedding was taking place, my friends' wedding. That left me with the tricky job of retrieving my gift from the table near the door and walking out with it....

gbb

Legendary Member
When I first passed my driving test many moons ago, I arranged to visit mum and dad in Peterborough. I knew from sitting in the passenger seat as a kid, you left Newark, went over the A1 and joined it. So off I went. A good many miles passed and I started to think...I don't remember that....or that !!. As the signs for Doncaster started appearing....I rang mum and dad in Peterborough and said...'fraid I'm not going to make it, I headed North not South on the A1 :blush:.

Changed the oil In a car once. Drained the oil, fitted a new filter, refilled the oil....to see an ever growing slick developing around my feet...:angry:doh !!!

Top Bottom