Tells us what cycling is coming up on TV....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Looks good,can you watch it on your tv ? Excuse my ignorance
You may be able to if it is a smart tv, but the situation changes so quickly with which smart tv supports which service that you would have to do some research for your model and even then still hope that it lasts the year.

Reactions: mjr

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
It might be worth a punt, Sky and Discovery (Eurosport's owner) have failed dismally to come to an agreement on renewal of channels.
Discovery have threatened to withdraw the channels (Feb?) if not resolved.
I wonder if this ties in with the recent advertising blurb of Eurosport player at 19.99..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It might be worth a punt, Sky and Discovery (Eurosport's owner) have failed dismally to come to an agreement on renewal of channels.
Discovery have threatened to withdraw the channels (Feb?) if not resolved.
I wonder if this ties in with the recent advertising blurb of Eurosport player at 19.99..
Ah, that explains it. At £60, it may still be cheaper to point a satellite dish at the German free-to-air version, but £20 is cheaper if that's the only channel you want... if it works on your TV. As @Milkfloat notes, people are being surprisingly stupid at breaking smart TVs lately.

stargazer

Vermiculturist

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I got Eurosport via the player a few years ago on a month offer so I could watch online - I think it was for the Giro or Vuelta. Frankly unless they've launched a new player since, I wouldn't recommend it - it was so flaky I couldn't get it to work at all despite repeated efforts, and couldn't get any useful support.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Interesting there's no mention of a reduction in the monthly bill. Do you think there'll be one? :rofl::rofl:

Adam4868

Guru
Stick to what I've got then,I suppose you all know about Mobdro app ? I have that on phone and tablet so can watch Eurosport and almost anything else for free.Its a free app aswell

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
So maybe I'm right to be wary of a lack of details on their broadband speed and browser requirements and lack of any try-before-you-buy. Did you get your money back?

I don't recall trying. It may have been a 'one month free to see if you like it, cancel by the end of the month and you don't owe us anything' deal. It was a couple of years ago so things may have changed since, but I'm fairly technically savvy, was using it on a fairly standard set up and couldn't get the thing to work at all, and as I say support were utterly unresponsive.

This is not good news for us. We are not technically savvy, and don't have tablets/I-phones for apps, so at the moment access eurosport through sky.
So we have a couple of questions, assuming the withdrawal of Discovery group channels does go ahead, and we would have to subscribe to eurosport player for the cycling.
we generally 'record' live transmissions of races at the moment and watch them a bit later (after work/riding etc) is it possible to do a similar process with euro-player?
how easy is it to run from a laptop to a tv?
is there any way to work out if our internet is up to running it? - is that an issue??

thanks
R&A

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I only signed up a couple of days ago, but my understanding is that...
a) Broadcast shows are generally available for about a week afterwards as videos
b) To run to a TV, it's easiest to use Chromecast. This is a dongle (£30) that plugs into the TV HDMI port and receives pictures sent by WiFi from your laptop or whatever. There was an app for smart TVs, but apparently that's stopped.
c) I think it tunes the picture resolution to what your broadband will cope with. In my case, it's noticeably worse for the first 4 or 5 seconds than it generally is, and if I check the resolution in the settings, I find it's set to "auto".

For me, currently, http://www.speedtest.net/ is showing 33 Mbps, and Eurosport player is offering up to 720p resolution in the settings.

Last edited:

bladesman73

Über Member
get an amazon fire box, install kodi then an add on called sportsmania. the latter costs 17 quid for 3 months for loads of sport channels inc eurosport. only prob is that u cannot record.

Top Bottom