Tempest or New ADV 9.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Could do with some advice to spend my sometimes hard-earned cash:
I mainly seem to ride potholed roads, occasionally linked by the odd canal path so my choices have come done to either the
Planet X Tempest
ADV 9.0
Slightly wary of the SRAM Rival as I have issues with my current bike not changing to the lowest gears.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Tempest
I’ve never had an issue with rival. Maybe you need to adjust your current bike?

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Yes definitely see the logic. And titanium is a massive plus point. Never rode carbon or titanium and the latter has excellent reviews.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both good bikes, choice would be a personal thing. I wouldn't want a x1 set up preferring the triple on the ADV ( no large gaps between gears) Can't see any advantage with ti over steel or carbon but if you feel like a tit why not? What is the 'massive plus point' in your opinion?
The problem you've had with Rival is due to poor adjustment.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Why do people have this false perception that there are large gaps between the gears on a 1x set up? I have a 3x on my old Galaxy and that is so much more of a pain in the arris to use off-road than the 1x Rival set up on my Kona.

The 3x has a massive hole right in the middle of its range right where I ride most of the time, that just isn't there on my Rival set up. The lower half of my cassette has a 2 tooth jump between each cog the top end has a 4 teeth jump, hardly massive gaps.

I don't know what issues the OP has had with their Rival set up, but I've had over 4000km of faultless mixed terrain riding with mine and would choose that over a 3x set up any day.

I think it depends on what material you want from the frame. I went with the Titanium Tempest as I've a few carbon bikes and wanted a Ti as my winter/gravel/bikepacking bike that I'd not be hugely upset if I had an off with. Titanium should be sturdy.

That said the Boardman looks nice and I like the extra bosses for bags and cages.

Either would be lovely.

Oh PX will do you a double chainset too. I'd go for that. Why limit yourself ? 90% of us will be using the gravel bikes on roads so need the gears.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, I have a Tempest, and a Hurricane.
A lovely, very well made frame. Impressed the mechanic at my lbs no end. Said the frames are as good, if not better than other high end Ti brands.

You wont be disappointed if you get one.
1608551781606.png

Top Bottom