Temporary roadside speed indicator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My local council has put a temporary roadside speed indicator on a trailer outside my house. They do this occasionally. Its a bit like a speed trap, without the camera. It displays the speed of the vehicle, so the driver can change the error of their ways. Thats providng they are not looking at their phone.

I live on a country road and the traffic using it is mostly local. It is a 50kph limit and has side roads leading off it which leads into the main village.

While I was painting the carport yesterday I found it interesting to watch the speed of the vehicles entering the village. The majority were just under or just over the limit. However there were a few in th 70s, 80s and 90s. One guy came through at 99kph. The device only measures 99kph and so he could have topped the 100kph.

I found I could easily take a photo which clearly showed the speed and the cars registration plate.

My question is what are the legalities of posting this type of photos on my local village Facebook page. I am asking about the legalities and not what if someone comes knocking on my door complaining about it.

I will ask our local police patrol if they could do anything with the photos, but thats another matter.

Having a few cars come by too quickly is not a great concern for me. But it would be satisfying to rattle a few cages.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My question is what are the legalities of posting this type of photos on my local village Facebook page
I think you might get a more useful answer if you asked locally. Cyclechat, a mainly British cycling forum, isn't long on Danish legal knowledge....

Slick

Guru
Not sure about Denmark but here the driver is in a public space so you are free to take as many pictures as you like.

perplexed

Guru
I guess one note of caution would be the question of if you've photographed the right vehicle.

I've approached them in the UK, got the smiley face. Occasionally though, as I've got very near, the face has turned to the grimacing one and the speed indicator has shot up - because it's picked up the car approaching behind. But I'd be the one near the sign...

My local council has put a temporary roadside speed indicator on a trailer outside my house. They do this occasionally. Its a bit like a speed trap, without the camera. It displays the speed of the vehicle, so the driver can change the error of their ways. Thats providng they are not looking at their phone.

I live on a country road and the traffic using it is mostly local. It is a 50kph limit and has side roads leading off it which leads into the main village.

While I was painting the carport yesterday I found it interesting to watch the speed of the vehicles entering the village. The majority were just under or just over the limit. However there were a few in th 70s, 80s and 90s. One guy came through at 99kph. The device only measures 99kph and so he could have topped the 100kph.

I found I could easily take a photo which clearly showed the speed and the cars registration plate.

My question is what are the legalities of posting this type of photos on my local village Facebook page. I am asking about the legalities and not what if someone comes knocking on my door complaining about it.

I will ask our local police patrol if they could do anything with the photos, but thats another matter.

Having a few cars come by too quickly is not a great concern for me. But it would be satisfying to rattle a few cages.

If you want to be a policeman, why not just apply?

U

User33236

Why does Google map's street view blur the number plates, then? There's clearly a difference between a privately and a publicly used image.
Google street view is used worldwide and laws change significantly across them. They likely use a one size fits all approach rather than go to the hassle of tailoring it for each individual country.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you want to be a policeman, why not just apply?
I have done that. I was retired on medical grounds after being taken off my motorbike by a speeding motorist.

But apart from that. We have had one fatality outside my house, a cyclist. So trying to do something to slow a few of the vehicles down, may help prevent another.

But if you have anything constructive to add. Please share it.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Why does Google map's street view blur the number plates, then? There's clearly a difference between a privately and a publicly used image.
Have you ever wondered just how often your image is recorded in any given day?

If you are out in public your image is being recorded.

Drago

Legendary Member
We have them in our village. Ironically, considering they're supposed to be present for safety purposes, it's somewhat worrying to see the bloke park his car halfway up the path while he installed the device. Cue one indignant email to the parish carncil.

I dunno about your country, but I would think the speed sensor woukd not be calibrated, or admissible in court, the police woukd need an officially recognised and calibrated one, that takes two timed pictures of the vehicle

Top Bottom