Tendonitis advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I have quite sore tendons in the back of my right leg behind my knee.

Does anyone else suffer with this after a ride ?

If so, what advice do you have please ?

I developed this problem some time ago- always my right leg. A bike radar article advised that posterior knee pain is almost always a result of hyper extending the knee joint. Saddle height of fore aft positioning might be an issue, but are more likely to result in pain further up the thigh.

I worked out that I had developed a bad habit of freewheeling with my right leg "straight" ie with the knee joint slightly hyper extended. I changed that habit and hey presto the knee pain disappeared immediately

vickster

Legendary Member
To be honest maybe I am being a bit dramatic. It's not excrutiating pain or anything more like stiffness and a dull ache.

Could well be down to lack of warm up/stretching and possibly my seat height although that is not high at all. I am about 5ft 11 and my seat is only a couple of inches above cross bar and when sat on saddle i am on my very tips of toes.
Sounds like the bike may be too big, on tip toes on my bike, I have a good 6 or 7 inches of seat post showing, following a bike fit

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

I developed this problem some time ago- always my right leg. A bike radar article advised that posterior knee pain is almost always a result of hyper extending the knee joint. Saddle height of fore aft positioning might be an issue, but are more likely to result in pain further up the thigh.

I worked out that I had developed a bad habit of freewheeling with my right leg "straight" ie with the knee joint slightly hyper extended. I changed that habit and hey presto the knee pain disappeared immediately

I do that (free wheeling with my right leg straight !

vickster

Legendary Member
I was going to suggest going back to the lbs for advice, but given you presumably bought it from halfords... It might be worth a try anyhow

What size did you get?

However, given you've ridden it 6 times or something, it may just be you need to get used to it. Also find a YouTube guide on positioning cleats, it's a dark art!

Dial down the mileage and let it recover. Going up to 50 miles on your sixth ride, is almost certainly too much too soon

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

I was going to suggest going back to the lbs for advice, but given you presumably bought it from halfords... It might be worth a try anyhow

What size did you get?

However, given you've ridden it 6 times or something, it may just be you need to get used to it. Also find a YouTube guide on positioning cleats, it's a dark art!

Dial down the mileage and let it recover. Going up to 50 miles on your sixth ride, is almost certainly too much too soon

54cm as recommended by Halfords website

Whilst 5ft 11 I do actually have quite a short inside leg of 30.5 inches so now wondering if this is the issue as I see Halfords call a 54cm frame "Large"

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

What size did you get?

It first started after a 34 mile ride last week.

vickster

Legendary Member
The halfords geometry is rather different I believe, what are the actual dimensions?

vickster

Legendary Member
It first started after a 34 mile ride last week.
I reckon you've overdone it, on a bike that isn't set up right for you, and with spds, quite possibly incorrectly positioned

Could be a strain rather than tendonitis, which tends to be a more gradual process caused by overuse

Try heat as well as ice and stretch gently, but only after exercise

Seen a doctor?

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

The halfords geometry is rather different I believe, what are the actual dimensions?

Can't find the info for the Zelos but this is for the Carrera Virtuoso so I assume similar dimensions

virtuoso_sizeguide?$pdpdescriptionimg50$0.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite a long top tube, I ride 54cm bikes and am a smidge under 5'10, however being female, my height is more In my legs than torso

Also really wide bars, I use a 38cm, but again narrower shoulders on the superior sex ;)

They evidently measure bikes on the seat tube. Rather than the top tube like most

My 54cm genesis has a 51cm seat tube http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/sportive/equilibrium-20

You could perhaps make it smaller with a shorter stem. However, all speculation, sort the saddle and cleat position first and rest for a week

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

I reckon you've overdone it, on a bike that isn't set up right for you, and with spds, quite possibly incorrectly positioned

Could be a strain rather than tendonitis, which tends to be a more gradual process caused by overuse

Try heat as well as ice and stretch gently, but only after exercise

Seen a doctor?

Not yet. Takes about a month to get an appointment in our village !

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Quite a long top tube, I ride 54cm bikes and am a smidge under 5'10, however being female, my height is more In my legs than torso

Also really wide bars, I use a 38cm, but again narrower shoulders on the superior sex ;)

They evidently measure bikes on the seat tube. Rather than the top tube like most

My 54cm genesis has a 51cm seat tube http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/sportive/equilibrium-20

You could perhaps make it smaller with a shorter stem. However, all speculation, sort the saddle and cleat position first and rest for a week

Rest for a week !

I was just getting my fitness up and was chuffed with an average 15.1mph on my 50 miles yesterday.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well yes, quite possibly, or a few days and then do maybe a few flat miles. Unless you want it to get worse and become a month, three months, six months ... And sort. The bike out in the meantime

I got chronic tendonitis in my elbow from cycling, I ended up with a year of physio, two injections and two surgeries...all from a bike that was too big...

No real alternative if you've overdone it

Top Bottom