Tendonitis advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Well yes, quite possibly, or a few days and then do maybe a few flat miles. Unless you want it to get worse and become a month, three months, six months ... And sort. The bike out in the meantime

I got chronic tendonitis in my elbow from cycling, I ended up with a year of physio, two injections and two surgeries...all from a bike that was too big...

Thanks for all your advice by the way

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Well yes, quite possibly, or a few days and then do maybe a few flat miles. Unless you want it to get worse and become a month, three months, six months ... And sort. The bike out in the meantime

I got chronic tendonitis in my elbow from cycling, I ended up with a year of physio, two injections and two surgeries...all from a bike that was too big...

No real alternative if you've overdone it

Looks like I may well be upgrading to my new bike quicker than I expected. I was going to treat myself next spring once we had finished all the work to our new house but IF it is too big for me then I will have to replace it sooner as I have a charity ride to complete next month.

vickster

Legendary Member
When did you get it? Don't jump to conclusions, go get a bike fit maybe, even just to sort the cleats, if you've just changed to those could be a red flag

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

No real alternative if you've overdone it

According to this online Calculator I have exactly the right size bike for me.

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/road-bike

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

When did you get it? Don't jump to conclusions, go get a bike fit maybe, even just to sort the cleats, if you've just changed to those could be a red flag

Have ridden with Cleats ever since I bought the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Overdone it I'd say, and new to cleats too, or did you ride the old bike clipless too. You need to position. The cleat by the knobbly bit below the big toe and make sure when clipped that your feet hang at the angle they would naturally take if you were sat on a table swinging your feet

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Overdone it I'd say, and new to cleats too, or did you ride the old bike clipless too. You need to position. The cleat by the knobbly bit below the big toe and make sure when clipped that your feet hang at the angle they would naturally take if you were sat on a table swinging your feet

Do you mean where the point and arrow is on this image when you say knobbly bit ?

No, have never ridden with cleats until this bike.

shimano-spd-cleats.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
No I think the bolts level with that bit of the foot, however, I have never done this myself so take with a pinch of salt and get googling

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

No I think the bolts level with that bit of the foot, however, I have never done this myself so take with a pinch of salt and get googling

I have tried some gentle stretching whilst sat at my desk by extending my leg and then bending my foot towards my shin and it seems to be helping

Crankarm

Guru
If you are building up miles in your legs you WILL need to take care of them. Get yourself a large spray can of anti-freeze and roll back and sides of your legs back and forth in small sections over it. Start off gently as you will be very tender, work from your heal Achilles, up your leg, calf both sides, tendons and back of knee. Then go above your knee if you want to massage your upper leg. Do your IBT if you need to as well if it is sore, although go carefully as it may be tender. You will need to support your body weight with your arms. Do not stretch your muscles but do this instead. You are massaging the muscles and tendons stimulating blood flow, old out and new in. Do before and after you ride or in the morning and evenings when you get up or go to bed. Only need take 5 minutes when you are good at it. When out on a ride legs will feel a lot more supple and stronger. You will look forward to this massage. It is simple and cheap the only cost being that of a can of anti freeze spray. Why anti freeze? It's cold that's why.

Also as others have said you need the right frame size and correct saddle height. When stationary sitting evenly and square on your bike put your heal on the pedal at the bottom of it's stroke - your leg should be relaxed straight to very very very slightly unlocked. If your heal cannot reach the pedal or you have to slide your hip down to the side to allow your heal to reach it then your saddle is too high. Loosen and lower a few mm at a time. go for a test ride and re-assess. Also don't push heavy gears, spin easily and comfortably, obviously not like a kid's windmill spiny thing but so you are comfortable. Keep your knees in toward the top tube as you ride. Relax your upper body and power smoothly around the whole pedal stroke. Don't over do it at this early stage. If you can get a cycling computer/Garmin with cadence function this would be a great aid for you. Try to routinely ride at 85-90 or slightly higher 95 as you get fitter and stronger.

HTH.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
To be clear, he just uses the can to roll out all the knots and not the contents as some sort of anti environment, but cheap deep heat remedy! The other option is a foam roller from amazon, physio room, Argos!

It's ITB rather than IBT if the OP wants to know what it is

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

To be clear, he just uses the can to roll out all the knots and not the contents as some sort of anti environment, but cheap deep heat remedy! The other option is a foam roller from amazon, physio room, Argos!

It's ITB rather than IBT if the OP wants to know what it is

I honestly had to double read the post because at first I thought "spraying anti freeze on your legs is insane"!!

:laugh:

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

I keep chuckling as I was seriously thinking of massaging my legs with anti freeze before bed.

Top Bottom