Tent security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

once again I'm on the prowl for info...

...now I've been out in th etent for a week on the trot I realise that there will be times when I have to leave the tent and the gear unaccompanied for a short while...like when takng a shower, shopping, swiming etc....so I was wondering if there are any tricks to keeping the gear and the tents contents safe (er) from theives?....I know it'll never be safe, but are there any little things I could do to deter the opportunist?

Keith Oates

Janner
Never leave anything of value in the tent if unattended, people normally only take things like watches, cameras, credit cards, cash, passports, etc.

asterix

Comrade Member
As Keith says - I always pack the valuable stuff together so I have to take only one carrier whether just parking for a moment or whatever.

It also helps if you pitch where you are not hidden from view.

xilios

Veteran
When I cycled alone from Holland to Greece, I always carried my valuables with me wherever I went, including the shower.
My handlebar bag came with a shoulder strap so that helped.
And after the theft in Greece earlyer this year, (while we were sleeping) the handle bar bag('s) are close to our pillows.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
When on tour I carry Passport and all money at all times as have had Hotel room broken in to and items stolen.

Of course you could argue abiout the risk of being mugged, my theory is at least I have a fighting chance then.

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Keith Oates said:
Never leave anything of value in the tent if unattended, people normally only take things like watches, cameras, credit cards, cash, passports, etc.

Brock

I always carry my 'valuables' with me in the bar bag, and just try not to worry about the rest of it in the tent. Actually the tent itself is by far the most valuable thing, but sometimes you've just got to trust to luck. I do sometimes stick a small padlock on the tent zipper. Maybe it would stop naughty kids nipping in, or a nosey opportunist poking his head in on the offchance of easy booty.

The beauty of touring is the feeling of freedom, and I refuse to let the possibility of petty theft dissuade me from a relaxing afternoon in the local town once I've thrown the tent up at the campsite. If someone walks off with the lot it wouldn't be the end of the world after all. Just keep your cards, camera etc with you.

Chris B

Just back from a ride round Denmark.

Woken at 4am one morning by the noise of the fly sheet being 'pinged' by an intruder and a panicked retreat as I shouted 'Oi'. Only thing missing were my trainers and they'd been abandoned outside by the criminal.

We packed up at first light and told the campsite owner we were leaving because of the attempted burglary and she laughed!

Apparrently, there was a fox with a shoe fetish that had been spotted meddling with someones shoes in their awning earlier that week!

Percy

Without wishing to completely jinx myself (I'm touching wood as I type this)...

I've left 'valuables' in the tent in all the countries I've been in so far and haven't had a problem. I don't leave them in the 'open', but I don't carry everything with me when I go into town (or to the shower). Seems a bit belt and braces to me, plus I'd be carrying loads of stuff! I think you'd be extremely unlucky to fall foul of someone with the balls to open your tent and go rummaging around your things to find whatever it is of value you've left in there - especially on a busy campsite.

I appreciate that it does happen, but I'd say 99% of campsites are friendly, trouble free places. I guess I've been lucky, but I've stayed in Spanish campsites full of loud, drunk, partying teenagers, but it was all good natured and I never once felt me or my stuff was under threat, and survived the day there, even leaving the tent for a few hours.

Saying that, I do tend to take with me a lot of stuff - wallet, camera, usb memory sticks, journal etc. but only 'cos I use it when I'm out. Other stuff, as I say, is left in panniers/secreted from view in the tent. I've never suspected that my tent has been tampered with or looked in. I guess if I was on a site where I got a 'bad vibe' I would take extra precautions.

Xilios - I'd be interested to learn where your camera was when it was stolen? I've always kept my barbag/immediate valuables next to my head when sleeping, seems like the obvious place..?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Maybe a little sign on the outside of the tent in several languages:

" There are no valubles left in this tent...except my pet snake"

gavintc

Guru
I have camped for a number of years and perhaps I have just been lucky, as I have never had an item stolen from a tent. In recent years when I have camped with the car and the bikes, the bikes get locked in the car. But I will admit to leaving valuables in the tent when I pop out to the pool, shower, bar etc. I do not leave them on display, but you cannot carry everything with you.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We were camping by a white water course, and left lots of stuff in the tent, like cameras and ipods and stuff. Even at night, and never had anything taken. The local drunk was there till late, he was a nice drunk though, and everyone knew him. He was like a guard dog.
You could always take a drunk along with you?
I dont think theres much of a reason to put a padlock on the tent. The zips could be cut off, or a section cut out. Even if it was someone looking.
You could get a small dry bag that stays with you all the time with valubles in, and just leave stuff in the tent no-one would steal.

Bonno

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Maybe a little sign on the outside of the tent in several languages:

" There are no valubles left in this tent...except my pet snake"

Erm.. you might want to re-phrase that as you could get a queue forming outside :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom