tents .. but not a normal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Arch said:
Another plus for having one big, one small, though - if she changes her mind, there's room for both in one tent.

Arch that is just what I was going to mention. A large owl hooting, or a fox barking and there will, I imagine, possibly be two people in one tent.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thanks for the rapid updates, my daughter, however, would like to point out that she is a scout and has camped many times, and hooting owls and barking foxes hold no fear for her .. well maybe a little, but not a lot !

Are Vango tents any good, you seem to get a lot of tent for not much money.

One of these perhaps Vango Alpha 200 for her ?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Vango's a good solid tents. I've used them for cub scouts as they have a habit of wrecking cheaper ones. The alpha is 100cm (3'6") at it's highest point. Nothing wrong with that (my tent is the same height) but you can't stand up in it.

Oh and on the sleeping in the big tent/small tent thing. If it's a cold night then you will be warmer in a smaller tent as there is less air to be heated :biggrin:

Jugular

I'm not really sure what you're after. The quality that you're after would really help make suggestions.

If your daughter is only really after a seperate sleeping area then this tent will do the job and it's simple to pitch (it's a pop up tent)
Decathlon Constellation 4.2

If your daughter requires an easy to put up, cheap tent with a bit of a porch then this fits the bill.
Decathlon Quechua T3+

These tents won't be high quality but will do the job for a trip or two from car. As usual the basis to work from is pick two from; strong, light, cheap.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
OK .. since I started this thread Mrs cisamcgu has decided that she might like to camp too !!!

So, we were thinging of this for Miss cisamcgu, and this for the two of us plus luggage etc...

It comes to about £140 for both of them, which is only the cost of a couple of nights in a hotel. Any obvious problems with these two choices ?

Thanks for your considered replies

Andrew

HelenD123

Legendary Member
They look like good choices, although the smaller one pitches inner first which isn't ideal in the rain.

You'll appreciate the vestibule area with groundsheet on the larger one if the weather is ropey. They are both a pretty good weight.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thanks for all you replies, we will have a trip to a camping shop over the weekend to see how much headroom these tents really have. I don't mind crouching on the groundsheet eating cold baked beans from a tin, but the other two are more delicate flowers and may need creature comforts like airbeds and chairs :laugh:

Again, many many thanks

Andrew

I would recommend joining the Camping & Caravan Club. Membership gets you preferrential rates and it takes next to no time to get your money back. The sites are always clean, with excellent loos and showers. They are quiet and there are no clubhouses with drunks wandering around late at night.

Just had another thought - I have always used a three man tent if I wanted it to be comfortable for two, and carried on this idea right the way through the tent sizes. Six people in an eight man tent allows so much more room, and there is only a small extra penalty to be paid in terms of size and weight.

PpPete

Legendary Member
cisamcgu said:
OK .. since I started this thread Mrs cisamcgu has decided that she might like to camp too !!!

So, we were thinging of this for Miss cisamcgu, and this for the two of us plus luggage etc...

It comes to about £140 for both of them, which is only the cost of a couple of nights in a hotel. Any obvious problems with these two choices ?

Thanks for your considered replies

Andrew

Only criticism of both those is the glassfibre poles....which tend not to survive a strong blow. But at that sort of price point there is little choice.
If you can stretch to Aluminium poles you'll not regret it.
The Vango Omega 350 is similar to the Beta 350 - but with Aluminium poles. We like ours although some people dont like fact that inner and outer cannot be separated.

Top Bottom