tents .. but not a normal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
A Petzl Tikkina for everyone would be my suggestion. Light, cheap and reliable. Big bright lights only attract insects and destroy your night vision. They are pollution and serve no practical purpose.
Willem

kewb

what about using your cycle light as a torch to save weight ?
if its a tiny headlight with good beam you want look for a 1watt led ,
if its just a headlight then id get a cheap one as the leds in expensive ones are the same as the cheap ones no difference except maybe in the lens but that only matters if you want a high beam in which case a 1 watt led is best anyway .
my choices would be either -
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3852.aspx
or
http://www.merlinlazer.com/L2-headlamp---1-watt-LED

PpPete

Legendary Member
For car camping we have one of these.

For backpacking I use a tiny RING brand headtorch, cost about £5, weighs 1 oz. Fairly feeble LED and CR2032 battery Not really good enough for walking by, & certainly no use cycling, but just as much light as you want in small tent. I saw a RING brand lantern somewhere too. Similar Lilliputian proportions.

willem

Über Member
Agreed, and not. I agree that a first class tent is a pleasure, and very reassuring. There are alternatives to Hilleberg, however. I have two Hillebergs and now also a Helsport. The Helsport is at least as good, and they do some models that Hilleberg do not. My next one wil probably be a Helsport Ringstind 2 Light that I will use as a larger solo tent. The Hilleberg Akto is just too small for me, and the Ringstind is hardly any heavier. Hilleberg is not the lightest. So if weight is of overriding importance, you may want to look elsewhere as well. But yes, aren't they good?
Willem

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tesco's (or it could have been Sainsburys) have some mini ufo lights at the moment ... £2.50 I think ... less than 3 inches across and with a hanging hook on the back.

Top Bottom