Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bellabow

Regular
I'm going touring for the first time this year. Any recommendations for a good one man tent? Obviously it needs to pack up well and withstand heavy rain. Thanks!:bicycle:

tournut

I'm going touring for the first time this year. Any recommendations for a good one man tent? Obviously it needs to pack up well and withstand heavy rain. Thanks!:bicycle:
You realy need a small two man, so you can put your gear next to you. Cheap two skin tent wot you need. I bought a small tarp to put over my dome tent. Total waterproof and when packing away your tent stays dry. Plus how many panniers you have depends on wot you want to take and how long you are touring for, if its your first time dont go mad on the spend. Enjoy .

Cringles

I've been using the Zephryos 1 Lite tent, I got it much cheaper due to a pricing error . Head just touches the roof when I'm sitting, I'm about 5'8. I've only used it over a few nights, & I can fit all my gear in without feeling cramped. I've yet to embark on a longer trip with front panniers. I think for longer trips, a 2 man tent is probably recommended, offers much more space. Hindsight, I should have went for the 2 man version, but I can live with it for now.

I spent 6 months driving up the east coast of Australia & sleeping in a 'tent like thing' on the roof of the car. I'm using to sleeping in 'kinda cramped' conditions.

10696376_10154631033085301_5629939137571534816_n.jpg

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I've been using the Zephryos 1 Lite tent, I got it much cheaper due to a pricing error . Head just touches the roof when I'm sitting, I'm about 5'8. I've only used it over a few nights, & I can fit all my gear in without feeling cramped. I've yet to embark on a longer trip with front panniers. I think for longer trips, a 2 man tent is probably recommended, offers much more space. Hindsight, I should have went for the 2 man version, but I can live with it for now.

I spent 6 months driving up the east coast of Australia & sleeping in a 'tent like thing' on the roof of the car. I'm using to sleeping in 'kinda cramped' conditions.

I got one of these for walking though. I tend to use a 2 man when cycling touring.

I've used a Vango Tempest 200 for the past 8 years, looking to get a new tent now though.

tournut

Pic of the tent looks ok as long you have head room. I have panniers front and back as am on the road most of the year, my next tour south america for six months or more. Enjoy and good luck. I will be up dating pics of my jouney on this site .

Cringles

I've a 400 mile trip coming up, as a trial run, before I cycle around Ireland. I dare say, I may be checking back to this thread to see the tent recommendations :biggrin:

Mile195

Veteran
Coleman Avior X2 is what I use for motorcycle touring. I chose it based on pack size and weight, and the fact it had a porch where I can put my gear. It wasn't cheap, but it's bloody brilliant.

andym

Über Member
Head just touches the roof when I'm sitting, I'm about 5'8.

If you're ever ill and stuck in your tent as the rain tips down for 24 hours straight, you'll come to hate that tent and want to get rid of it at the first opportunity.

Cringles

If you're ever ill and stuck in your tent as the rain tips down for 24 hours straight, you'll come to hate that tent and want to get rid of it at the first opportunity.

You mean for head height? It's pretty similar to the ones already suggested. I never intend to spend 24 hours in a tent, I don't even spend that inside the house even if I am ill.

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular
You realy need a small two man, so you can put your gear next to you. Cheap two skin tent wot you need. I bought a small tarp to put over my dome tent. Total waterproof and when packing away your tent stays dry. Plus how many panniers you have depends on wot you want to take and how long you are touring for, if its your first time dont go mad on the spend. Enjoy .
Thank you for advising me to get a 2 man tent as I hadnt thought about storing gear.

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular

Thank you Cringles

F70100

Who, me ?
Funny you should ask this. I was also looking for a light touring tent recently and settled on a Vango Banshee 200. I paid £100 for it but I think it is available for less. Go Outdoors are selling the 2013 version for £75 but it only has a door on one side. The 2014 version has 2 doors but it's slightly heavier at 2.3 kgs rather than 2.1 kgs. I felt the Vango to be a good compromise in the size/weight/strength/cost trade-off.

I haven't used it yet; roll on spring!!!!!

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular
Pic of the tent looks ok as long you have head room. I have panniers front and back as am on the road most of the year, my next tour south america for six months or more. Enjoy and good luck. I will be up dating pics of my jouney on this site .
I'll look forward to seeing the pics tournut

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular
Funny you should ask this. I was also looking for a light touring tent recently and settled on a Vango Banshee 200. I paid £100 for it but I think it is available for less. Go Outdoors are selling the 2013 version for £75 but it only has a door on one side. The 2014 version has 2 doors but it's slightly heavier at 2.3 kgs rather than 2.1 kgs. I felt the Vango to be a good compromise in the size/weight/strength/cost trade-off.

I haven't used it yet; roll on spring!!!!!
I think the banshee at go outdoors was the tent I had my eye on last year. Think I may have to visit the shop again.

Top Bottom