Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd like to tour on my own in England or Wales first but It's probably not safe to tour alone I guess?

I a female and did my first solo tour last summer. England and Wales. I actually found it was just as safe alone as it was with my husband later in the year when we toured England together.
If I wanted to use a supermarket, I just wheeled by bike up to the security guard at the door (usually) and asked politely if he (usually a he tbh) could keep an eye on it because walking it around the supermarket wasn't practical and I couldn't leave it and the luggage in the bike rack... I never had an issue - they all said yes and in some cases the bike was in the supermarket (or store) itself. People were great at helping out and I never felt threatened at all. My write up (on CC) is in my signature below!

I used the Vaude Power Lizard 2-3 person SUP model - purchased to use with my OH but he has since decided that for anything more than overnight he is going to carry our Hilleberb instead. And since then he has carried the Hilleberg for the overnighters as well which means I have a rather larger tent than I needed, but the Power Lizard has stood up to a long and substantial thunder storm in Wales but has yet to be really tested out in high winds. I have been surprised at how well it has stood up so far and without issue because the fabric seems awfully thin when you are used to 4-5 season tents!

F70100

Who, me ?
There are a few photos of it in use on my LEJOG ride.

Great web address!

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular
Its very safe, if your touring and use campsites. Last time i was in betws y coed north wales there was a lady on her own an she had no problems. Just stik to good sites. Away from group sites. P.s. If that way try riverside touring park 5* and less then a ten pound a night. Good luck on travels.
Fantastic thank you!

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular
I a female and did my first solo tour last summer. England and Wales. I actually found it was just as safe alone as it was with my husband later in the year when we toured England together.
If I wanted to use a supermarket, I just wheeled by bike up to the security guard at the door (usually) and asked politely if he (usually a he tbh) could keep an eye on it because walking it around the supermarket wasn't practical and I couldn't leave it and the luggage in the bike rack... I never had an issue - they all said yes and in some cases the bike was in the supermarket (or store) itself. People were great at helping out and I never felt threatened at all. My write up (on CC) is in my signature below!

I used the Vaude Power Lizard 2-3 person SUP model - purchased to use with my OH but he has since decided that for anything more than overnight he is going to carry our Hilleberb instead. And since then he has carried the Hilleberg for the overnighters as well which means I have a rather larger tent than I needed, but the Power Lizard has stood up to a long and substantial thunder storm in Wales but has yet to be really tested out in high winds. I have been surprised at how well it has stood up so far and without issue because the fabric seems awfully thin when you are used to 4-5 season tents!
Thank you for your reassurance. I think I'm going to go for an over night stay to start with. Ease my self into my new found interest. I'm loving my cycling.

andym

Über Member
What do you sleep on? mat? nothing?

I use a self-inflating mat. Possibly the guy I was replying to is using a thicker mat - which might be the reason why his head is touching the roof of the tent even though at 5'8" he's not particularly tall.

Cringles

Thank you for your reassurance. I think I'm going to go for an over night stay to start with. Ease my self into my new found interest. I'm loving my cycling.

That's exactly what I've done. I spent one night 50 miles from home on my own at a camp site. Loved it, Now planning a weekend & a 400 mile trip around Ireland, while slowly planning a route around all over Ireland.

paddypete

I'm going touring for the first time this year. Any recommendations for a good one man tent? Obviously it needs to pack up well and withstand heavy rain. Thanks!:bicycle:
got this one from Argos on sale 14.99
digy fotos .x 457.JPG
it wieghs under 2kg and pack small

andym

Über Member
got this one from argoss,on sale 14.99 it wieghs under 2kg,and pack small

I'm guessing here, but is it single-skin? These are more prone to condensation than the double-skin tents.

Argos do some fantastic bargain tents but this looks too good to be true.

Ootini

I'm guessing here, but is it single-skin? These are more prone to condensation than the double-skin tents.

Argos do some fantastic bargain tents but this looks too good to be true.
Looks very similar to the Yellowstone Alpine 2 that I've got, that's a double skin tent. Definitely cheap and cheerful but will hopefully stand up to spring/summer in Wales for short trips.

Top Bottom