Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddypete

g
I bought a 'backpacker' 2 person from Mountain Warehouse £35 last year. Worked ok so far.

Only spent 1 night in a bivvy. Wet through!! Make sure you get a breathable one if you get a bivvy. In fact, I like the idea, any one reccomend one.
get an ex army gortex,and add a pole,£20_£30,i sold one not long ago,i like tents better

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As I head towards retirement credit card touring fades in to the distance and camping looms ahead!!

I haven't camped in 30 years. Any more thoughts on tent makes and key points to look for?

Thanks.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My first requirement is that it is double skinned otherwise the condensation will get you wet.

The Vango Banshee tents are good value for money.

F70100

Who, me ?
+1 for Vango Banshee. I got a 200 first and it does the job very well though it is a fraction small if you need somewhere simply to sit out of the weather. I subsequently got a 300 when I found one on eBay under 100 notes and the extra 500 grammes provides a lot more space.

Best bet is to go and see before you buy. Go Outdoors usually have a Banshee pitched, plus others of course.

I like the Banshee because it has doors on both sides which gives flexibility and I think helps a lot when drying the tent out. They need drying out pretty much every day because of dew and condensation.

If budget was no issue (in which case 'we' would continue credit card touring ) I'd be interested in a Hilleberg Nallo GT.... You might have to search around a bit more to find one to go look at.

I'd consider looking at freestanding tents (ones that don't nrcessarily need pegging), gives you more flexibility if free camping. I've always liked the look of the Banshee but I don't think it is freestanding.
When do you need to buy Paulsb?
If you don't need to buy immediately, might be an idea to do your research and then buy in the off season.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm in no great hurry to buy as I don't retire till October. I plan one last credit card tour this summer.

During the summer I also plan a long weekend with a tent - either borrowed or purchased - to help understand what I will need in general. I've never toured with a tent.

What I'm thinking of is save money on B&B by either camping or hostels / bunk houses. Carry food for breakfast and eat out for evening meal. I'm not sure I'm into carrying stoves etc. especially as all my touring to date has been very minimal in luggage terms. Two cycle shirts, two t-shirts, two cycle shorts and one ordinary shorts got me through ten days in France last summer!!

Might find it a bit tough with nothing hot at all. And i can't function without an espresso or 3 in the morning. A few weeks ago bivvied in a waterlogged field, made for the stove and had an espresso faster than at home. Luxury :smile: I would consider at least a small pocket rocket or knock off (latter £10 tp £15) and a small pot that can be used for soup or as a kettle. Will take no space at all.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Might find it a bit tough with nothing hot at all. And i can't function without an espresso or 3 in the morning. A few weeks ago bivvied in a waterlogged field, made for the stove and had an espresso faster than at home. Luxury :smile: I would consider at least a small pocket rocket or knock off (latter £10 tp £15) and a small pot that can be used for soup or as a kettle. Will take no space at all.

I have been thinking about this. I need an hour and two coffees to get going most days. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom