Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I only use a tent as an emergency option. I have a few tents but my emergency one is the one used by this guy http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/. I have the weight down to 800g. It is supposedly a two man and I find it fine at 6'2" and 15 stone. I can also store my gear inside. It is single skin and you do have condensation but the design of the tent means it does not drip on you, a bargain at £17. Down sleeping bag at 850g is fine. In the UK hostels at £10 to £15 are IMO a much better option as you save with the free hot drinks and use of the kitchen. I use a Carradice bag these days for a European tour.
23391423391_1761c038bb_c.jpg

TrishE

Über Member
I've backpacked with this tunnel one £40 from millets. Plenty big enough for me and the dog, photo taken on our first trip I can tell by the bowl of food use a small tupperware container with a lid now she eats what she wants and I put the lid back on wouldn't work if dog was greedy maybe, have used the tent a few times now and it's stable in the wind and rain. I like the sewn in groundsheet and have never suffered condensation as it's double skinned and has three opening closing vents.
received_10206833304733692.jpeg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I do like the idea of the hammock. I seem to sleep well in them.

Maybe next time. Does yours have the built in mossie net?
It does, sewn in and bottom entry which is ridiculously easy to get in and out.

jags

Guru
I've bought myself a new tent for my next tour (an OEX Lynx II from Go Outdoors) - much to Mr R's disquiet...

I'll be parting with some tents in the near future.
what will u be parting with in in the market for a new tent.strongly thinking of buying the nature hike cloud 2 good weight great price.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's mine. A fairly cheap Coleman. I quite like Coleman stuff. Fairly well put together for the price. I got this tent for the JoGLE that never was. I used it on a shakedown ride and it was OK. I took a few spare pegs and a 2 x 2m tarpaulin to cover kit I couldn't fit in the rather limited storage area.

Plus points. It is easy to put up and take down. It only weighs 1.5Kg. Whole length entry.
Minus points. Size!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
But if it rains, you're still getting rained on under a tree long after the rain has stopped. You've also got bird poo to deal with, falling branches if the wind gets up, tree sap.......I'd rather not, thank you.
I didn't claim it was an ideal solution, just something to take into account when choosing where to pitch.

The main cause of condensation is radiative cooling of the tent outer, so if there isn't good amount of starry sky visible, condensation will be lower. Between trees rather than directly below may be sufficient.
Anyway, if it's windy enough to worry about falling branches, there won't be any condensation; if it's set fair, there won't be rain drips all night; if it's overcast, the chances of condensation are low so under a tree is of little benefit, etc etc.

Top Bottom