Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
I like the idea of a porch Mile 195
I strongly reccommend one. The coleman also has a groundsheet for the porch, which the Coleman Epsilon didn't.

The two doors is a real bonus too. The side opens out which is great for getting out of when the porch is full of your stuff.

The pack weighs about 2.5kg, and if you want it's big enough for 2 people, although it is a bit "cosy". I have been in mine during some absolutely torrential downpours and it is unfailing on the water-resistance front.

Debade

Über Member
When it comes to touring questions, you may want to check out http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ People share a great deal of information. You will need to sift through it. It has global input.

OP
OP
Bellabow

Bellabow

Regular
Thanks. Lots to be going on with :smile:
I'd like to tour on my own in England or Wales first but It's probably not safe to tour alone I guess?

For my first camping tour I invested £21 in a Gelhert Solo. It packs down nice and small and weighs 1.5kg, less if you upgrade the pegs. One of the poles split but was usable and Gelhert replaced it with a better pole. I have done 2 15-day tours in N Spain and France and survived some heavy rain. The interior is tiny, headspace minimal, changing clothes requires yoga practice and kit storage area is stashed between fly and inner.

For my longer tour I upgraded to a Hilleberg Akto, which is a much nicer place to be and significantly stronger, surviving very scary winds.
Akto is a bit dated and heavy for a premium one-man tent (1.7kg).

Solo touring requires some confidence which comes from experience. Why not start small and cheap with a weekend local solo tour to a safe commercial campsite or even youth hostel grounds.

tournut

Thanks. Lots to be going on with :smile:
I'd like to tour on my own in England or Wales first but It's probably not safe to tour alone I guess?
Its very safe, if your touring and use campsites. Last time i was in betws y coed north wales there was a lady on her own an she had no problems. Just stik to good sites. Away from group sites. P.s. If that way try riverside touring park 5* and less then a ten pound a night. Good luck on travels.

robing

Über Member
I disagree that you have to get a 2 man tent. I got the Van go Blade 100 and it's perfect. The single pole goes lengthways so plenty of headroom in the middle of tent with space on either side and a decent sized vestibule for storage. Use it for tours in Spain and Ireland last year. I had some downpours in Ireland and it was fine. Oh and only weighs 1.5kg

Last edited:

robing

Über Member
2014-05-06_16-17-41_554.jpg

Ootini

I've just grabbed a seriously cheap and nasty Yellowstone Alpine 200. Only cost £25 No idea how it will stand up to "actual" use but I'll let you know.

robing

Über Member
Good luck! I got the Yellowstone Matterhorn and the pole snapped on first use!

Ootini

Good luck! I got the Yellowstone Matterhorn and the pole snapped on first use!
It's gone up OK in the living room and garden. Fingers crossed it can stand up to use "outside". If it packs up on me it goes back for a refund and I'll get something better. I've actually got a perfectly good Vango Ark 200 but it's way too heavy, 3.4kg packed.

Go for a two man tent, there is nothing worse than having to scrabble around in a one man tent when it is peeing down with rain, and the tent is full of kit. What tent to buy depends on your budget, where and what time of year you are intending to tour, I use a Vaude Hogan for cycle touring, whilst it twice the weight of my Terra Nova Comp which I use for backpacking, it is worth carrying the extra weight if only for piece of mind of knowing you have a sturdy tent which will provide you with a reasonable amount of space and protection from the elements. As to touring by oneself, there is no problems with touring by yourself, many cycle tourist including myself prefer to do so. you are never lonely on a cyclist, as you will meet like minded soul,s as you travel.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I've just grabbed a seriously cheap and nasty Yellowstone Alpine 200. Only cost £25 No idea how it will stand up to "actual" use but I'll let you know.
Damn, I just bought one but paid £35. The weight is OK but the pack size is not great. It may be better out of the bag and packed separately.

Top Bottom