Tern folding bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doginabag

Hi guys.

New user here, considering getting my first folding bike.

I have been looking at Tern bikes sold by Evans, as an alternative to a Brompton which unfortunately is out of my price range.

Does anyone have any general experiance of them, are they worth looking at? I know they don't fold anywhere near as small, but does anyone use them for commuting and are there any issues getting them on a train?
At first look they look well enough made, but in the long term, how do they fare?

From the reviews and other forums I have read so far,t he Tern bikes seem to be quite well regarded. However I popped into an Evans store to take a look and I was steered towards the bromptons by the salesman several times. Having done my time working in retail many years ago, I know to take advice from a salesman with a pinch of salt as it can sometimes be influenced by what products have the greater mark-up. So looking for advice from reall users.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

Kies

The Terns are good bikes and i found them better for me being a tall (5ft 11) rider. The fold is bigger than the Brompton, and it came down to what is more important to you, fold or ride.
I was about to buy the P24h as it has an adjustable handlebar which allows for a good fit .... In the end i bought a Dahon (2nd hand Ebay) and havn't regretted the purchase.
The trains and tubes have no issue with folding bikes ... Some allow me to keep the bike open all the way onto the platform, and others insist i fold it before going through the gates (jobsworth).

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Sounds promissing. I was looking at either the Link P9 or the Link D7i.

I like the idea of hub hears for commuting, no greasy chains and being able to change gears while stopped. But there is a 3kg increase in the D7i over the P9!
I have always had deralliers in the past on full size bikes, so no issue with adjustment/maintanaince etc, and from what I understand they are more efficient.

Is it also correct that in general hub gears are more expensive than derraliers? If so, with these two bikes being the same price, would that suggest a lower spec in other components on the D7i?

Kies

hub geared bikes have a different way of removing the rear wheel, so i stuck with what i know and went for an 8 speed cassette. it also meant i can change the cassette (within spec) to suit my riding. 3kg weight penalty sounds like a lot - i guess it depends on what type of rider you are and the loads that will be put on the bike

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

I am tempted to stick with what I know too. Can't see me suddenly having problems just because someone has come and stuck an elaborate door hing on my bike. :biggrin:

Just need to find somewhere with stock to try one out now.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The spec is virtually equal - looking at Evans website, bar the gears, but the Di7 comes with rear rack and mudguards.

I see rear rack as just a weight penalty, but some prefer panniers to rucksacks or messenger bags (my preference). Mudguards are useful on commuter especially if you have to occasionally or regularly commute in work clothes / trousers.

Hub gears are great for low maintenance etc, that said the Shimano Nexus isn't the most robust, a few report problems with it. Sturmey archer have better reputation or shimano Alfine.

Hub gears are heavier but suggest rear rack is adding to that weight difference, but it is quite a penalty.

Brompton is around a better bike but then you pay much more for it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Tern and Dahon are the two at that price point and have had their Apple v Samsung moments. When I've had a little sit on a Tern it seemed comfy and we'll put together. I can't recall seeing a bad review of one. On mobile so not clicked the links but if you're in the 3-500 range you may do well to have a look at the Decathlon B'twin tilt range. Similar fold size to the terns and a few variants in gearing , chain or belt drive etc. nice comfy and as ever with Decathlon seem well specced for the price. The hinge is a bit of an acquired taste under braking but worthy of consideration IMO

I have a D8 and find it fine, happy to do 30 mile rides around London for a bit of sightseeing. Folds well enough to easily go on the train down to the city.

Kies

Tern (via Dahon), Dahon & Brompton have been around long enough to build good quality folders with minimal issues with the folding mech .... Try a few and decide

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Thank you guys. Managed to find a few terns in stock and was pretty impressed with the quality. I've bitten the bullet and did go for the Link P9 in the end. Just waiting for my cycle scheme voucher to arrive so I can go pick it up. I don't like waiting!

Mr Foldy

Thank you guys. Managed to find a few terns in stock and was pretty impressed with the quality. I've bitten the bullet and did go for the Link P9 in the end. Just waiting for my cycle scheme voucher to arrive so I can go pick it up. I don't like waiting!
Is it here yet? Hope you love it. Review please?!

Rager

Hi, I'm posting as an owner of a Link D8 bought in 2013. Have a look at the Forum on the Tern website - i'm afraid you'll see there has been a spate of broken frames over the last 6 months.

Regards.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have a link D8 also, I bought mine early in 2013, checked the frame with no damage at the weld on the hinge, and it's well used. As with all bicycle frames, some vigilance is necessary to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Top Bottom