Terrible bike accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hope you heal well. That’s the thing with cycling, you will inevitably come a cropper sooner or later. You make a choice, once you’re healed up, do you ‘get back on the horse that threw you’ or give it up. Only you can answer that. I’ve been hit by cars, and come off because animals / pedestrians have run into my path, and I’ve broken numerous bits of bikes, and myself. So far, I’ve always got back on, and carried on. But crashes effect different people in different ways. By the time you’ve healed, you’ll almost certainly know the answer to your own question.

Alan O

Über Member
Think about it from a statistics angle. While only a very small proportion of cyclists ever have a serious accident like this, almost none have two :whistle: (OK, I know it doesn't work like that).

Being serious, the event is still very raw in your mind (and your Mum's and family's minds too), and now is almost certainly not the best time to make such a big decision. It sounds like you're making a good physical recovery (though it does sound like a nasty one), and you've been very unlucky - most times a rear-wheel skid on mud will just leave the cyclist with nothing more than a bit of bruising and scraping.

But the psychological recovery will take longer. So maybe just put your bike away for a little while, but certainly don't dispose of anything yet, and give yourself more time.

Oh, and... :cheers:to your recovery.

johnnyb47

Guru
Sorry to hear of your horrific crash and hope your back on the mend. After enduring this I would imagine it's perfectly understandable to be put off cycling. I certainly would for sure.
Just concentrate on getting well and back on your feet for now and sod the cycling.
Maybe in a few months time when your feeling better and the "itch" for cycling gets a hold of you , you could go for a small short ride again and then take it from there..
The main thing is though ,your still alive and you are here to tell this scary and painful tale.
Get well soon and take it easy,
Johnny

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Sorry to hear about your accident, things sometimes happen, I have had one off in a similar manner as in it was an outside influence on my bike. Dislocated and fractured my shoulder.

I got out on my bike as soon as I could mainly because I felt like you do. To this day I still cannot bring myself to give it full tilt in to a right-hand corner like I used to, the slow motion memory lives on! I got by with reminding myself how long and how many miles I had ridden without this happening.

It will be tough but in your position although more serious than mine I would get on and pootle as soon as you can, make it a mission to help you through recovery. I used the need to cycle to get through the pain and aggro of the injury.

johnnyb47

Guru
We've all been there thought with the speed aspect. It's just unlucky for you to of had an off whilst traveling at speed. I can imagine as its only recently happened the memory of it is still very fresh in your mind which makes the thought of cycling again very frightening..Hopefully this feeling will fade as time passes by.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
So sorry to hear about your accident and hope you make a full recovery. As for giving up cycling, it is understandable to think that way so soon after your fall. Time is a great healer and weeks from now, when you see other cyclists on the road, the urge might come back. Nothing in life is 100% safe. You could have a bad fall just walking but you would still walk everywhere. I am not trying to convince you as only you can decide what you want to do. At the moment, just concentrate only healing well and then.................. who knows??

hoopdriver

Guru
First Sunday in Jan headed out to a frequent ride. Trying to clear my head for exams. On my way back on a fast part 25 mph my back wheel caught some mud and I could do nothing to stop having a very bad fall.

I fell in the middle of a road and tried to get myself out of the road but my arm was buggered and I couldn’t move. Luckily for me a car driver pulled in front of me so nothing would hit me. I was very impressed with how many car drivers stopped and helped me. A local shop owner taking my shattered bike leaving me her phone number. Another gentleman telling me I should not let this stop me from being a cyclist. And someone was on the phone to 999 and a lovely couple who waited with me whilst the ambulance was on route.

To cut a very long story short initially hospital said nothing broken sent me home, only to be called back next day as I had a posterior dislocation so was in hospital a few days they could not put it in
To place and wanted to operate on me. Surgeon not happy so sent me for an MRI scan and that is where the bad news gets worse. I had a 7cm tear in my rotary cuff, and the ligaments had torn away from my bone, the consultant made no bones about how bad this was. He said I had to have two major operations in one but cos it was a long surgery they could not carry it out for 2 weeks which was very bad as my arm kept dislocating and was very painful. Doctor put me on morphine for paiin.

Nothing prepared me for the pain when I woke up from a 6 hr operation Oh My God! It was the worst pain I’ve ever had! Was in hospital a week and that was 2 weeks ago. Having just taken myself off the morphine which was actually worse than the op itself, and took a further five days, horrible stuff.

I’m convinced I’ll never cycle again, my mum collected my bike which apart from a buckled back wheel has gotten off better than I have.

Has anyone else had a bad accident and gotten back on? I’ve even given some cycling bits away I’m that convinced.
Don't act in haste, although it is easy to understand how you must be feeling right about now. You have had a horrific fall. Anyone would be having second thoughts.

I came off my bike at speed on a downhill in Western Australia while I was midway through a 10,000 mile solo trek around the continent - although my injuries did not require surgery, I had fractures that required rest and I was some weeks off the bike, and feeling rather timorous when I eventually got back on it and continued my trek. My first couple of days were very anxious ones and it was another couple thousand miles before I really felt confident on the downhills again.

Many years passed before I had another fall and that was here in England, on a frosty January morning when some unsuspected slickness on the road sent me base over apex in an instant. Nothing I could do. Down hard and messed up some shoulder ligaments which are still not quite right five years down the track. Once again, I was apprehensive when I eventually got on my bike again and to this day I do not ride in winter anymore, or at least when the temperature is low enough to suggest there might be frost on the bitumen. A pity, because I used to love to ride on cold winter mornings, before dawn. But no more. We all make our own compromises.

Hopefully you will see your way clear to ride again. Don't think about that now. Think about getting better. Don't give away any gear. Make those sorts of decisions later, if at all, once the memory of this has had a chance to settle in your mind.

Lastly, I remember vividly coming off my bike in a bad way when I was a kid - in '66 - and messing up my knee, putting myself on crutches for a few weeks. I remember the hard smack of landing and sobbing that I was never going to ride a stupid bicycle ever, ever, ever again - and a gruff old neighbour, who came out to help, telling me not to be silly, of course I'd ride my bike again.

And of course I did.

I hope you will too.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’m convinced I’ll never cycle again, my mum collected my bike which apart from a buckled back wheel has gotten off better than I have.

Has anyone else had a bad accident and gotten back on? I’ve even given some cycling bits away I’m that convinced.

Hey @Doobiesis! Sounds very painful. I've had a quite a few offs, and also struggled to get back confidence.
Give it plenty of time, have a bimble when you feel ready and maybe get a friend along for support. It'll come back if you take it steady.
The long-term benefits of being a cyclist for physical and mental health currently far outweigh the potential for harm on the roads.
There was a good article in the Telegraph last year after the TdF about how to fall off! If I remember right, the trick is to keep hold of the bars and ball up. I'm planning on remembering that and not putting it into effect any time soon.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sorry to hear of your off. To repeat what others have said, give it time.
I broke my leg in two places almost three years ago on a night ride and have also been hit a couple of times by cars. In my experience, the key is not to force yourself. It might mean riding short distances, routes you wouldn't previously have considered, etc., but it comes back with time.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It happens: like you I fell on ice on the first Sunday in January, landing on the operation site from my op in September. Ouch!

My bad accident was nearly 2 years ago; broken ribs, damaged pelvis, torn tissue, etc. It took them almost a year to work out what else was wrong apart from the broken ribs but I'm slowly getting back to normal.

The pain will ease, although it'll take time. Due to my op I'm weak on my right side, which was why I fell over. Daily physio exercises are helping though and I'd strongly recommend you engage with the physio once you've been operated on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
First Sunday in Jan headed out to a frequent ride. Trying to clear my head for exams. On my way back on a fast part 25 mph my back wheel caught some mud and I could do nothing to stop having a very bad fall.

I fell in the middle of a road and tried to get myself out of the road but my arm was buggered and I couldn’t move. Luckily for me a car driver pulled in front of me so nothing would hit me. I was very impressed with how many car drivers stopped and helped me. A local shop owner taking my shattered bike leaving me her phone number. Another gentleman telling me I should not let this stop me from being a cyclist. And someone was on the phone to 999 and a lovely couple who waited with me whilst the ambulance was on route.

To cut a very long story short initially hospital said nothing broken sent me home, only to be called back next day as I had a posterior dislocation so was in hospital a few days they could not put it in
To place and wanted to operate on me. Surgeon not happy so sent me for an MRI scan and that is where the bad news gets worse. I had a 7cm tear in my rotary cuff, and the ligaments had torn away from my bone, the consultant made no bones about how bad this was. He said I had to have two major operations in one but cos it was a long surgery they could not carry it out for 2 weeks which was very bad as my arm kept dislocating and was very painful. Doctor put me on morphine for paiin.

Nothing prepared me for the pain when I woke up from a 6 hr operation Oh My God! It was the worst pain I’ve ever had! Was in hospital a week and that was 2 weeks ago. Having just taken myself off the morphine which was actually worse than the op itself, and took a further five days, horrible stuff.
How horrid! I'm glad that it wasn't even worse than it was though. I hope you recover well from the surgery and do not suffer any long-term physical problems from what you have been through.

I have had quite a few near misses over the years that could have easily ended up causing injuries like yours, but I was lucky and usually got away with cuts and bruises. I am fairly sure that I broke a collarbone in one nasty crash as a teenager, however. I didn't go to hospital so I can't be sure but it hurt like hell for about 2 months and I couldn't move the arm much during that time. I just immobilised it until it stopped hurting. I still have a lump on the bone nearly 50 years on so I reckon it managed to repair itself without intervention.

I would have been worried about getting back on a bike immediately after that crash but I didn't have the problem because I no longer owned one! The bike I crashed on belonged to a friend. It was 20 years before I bought another bike and I really regret those lost cycling years. I hope that you do manage to overcome your fears once you are physically able to ride again so you don't end up with similar regrets.

It is perfectly understandable why you feel the way that you do, but hopefully memories of the crash and the painful rehabilitation process will fade over time and allow you to get back on your bike.

If you and your family could somehow put emotions to one side and look at the risks and benefits of cycling, you should see that the risks are well worth taking. Obviously some risks (e.g. stupid drivers!) are not under your control but you can reduce overall risk by being more careful, for example by not riding when there is a risk of ice.

Good luck!

PS My biggest difficulty with cycling was coming back from my health problems of 2012/13. Some pretty terrifying things happened which made me question the wisdom of ever getting back on my bike, but eventually I started to feel better physically and that helped me overcome the emotional trauma of what had happened to me. I hope it goes that way for you too.

Top Bottom