Terrible bike accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Hi Doobiesis, that was a terrible experience, I think I may be cycling a little more cautiously this next few days!
My best wishes to you for a full recovery, and as said by others up thread, don't dispose of any bike gear yet, give yourself time to recover both physically and mentally:smile:.

si_c

Guru
Sorry to hear about your accident, these things unfortunately do happen. For the moment just focus on getting better, the advice above regarding physio is spot on.

I had a fairly spectacular smash (20+ mph) a couple of years back into the back of a car, and shattered my collarbone, needing surgery. Recovery took a couple of months, and the physio helped loads.

I know it could have been so much worse and I am grateful every day I wasn’t killed. I tend to fall off my bike a lot but always land ok.

If it hadn’t happened on the one point I push my speed it wouldn’t of been so bad.

Most of the energy from your impact will have come from the sideways fall, the forward speed wouldn't have contributed as much as you think.

Worth thinking about would be a turbo trainer, it would get you back on a bike, getting exercise, and at the same time might help to build confidence again. Obviously check with your consultant beforehand, but mine had no problem as long as I wasn't putting weight on it

Jenkins

Legendary Member
GWS Doobiesis.

As others have said, don't give up the cycling. Take a bit of time for full recovery from the injuries and, when you feel up to it, try a few short, slow rides on local lanes/roads to rebuild your confidence and take it forward from there.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
GWS.

I never thought I cycle much after losing my left arm to a Tiger.
Then I got a recumbent trike.
In the last 8 years I've done ~50,000 miles.
So if you go recumbent trike then you'll put a lot less stress/strain on your bad shoulder.
A bent bike can be a lot harder to learn to ride but also puts less stress/strain on your shoulder.

Luck .......... ^_^

Crikey - that sounds awful.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I’m so grateful for all your replies. And tales of injuries. I guess I was wondering if others had gotten back into cycling after a bad accident. And it seems the love of cycling will eventually help me go back out.

I have my six week surgery appt on March 12th where I’m hoping my sling will come off and I can start rebuilding my self again. And I will look into some physio at the university as I’m a student studying law, and they’re a lot cheaper.

I had minor off just before xmas - no injuries , no where near as bad as yours - But I did consider quitting, what stopped me was:-

1.I enjoy it
2.It keeps my weight down - and keeps my ashtma at bay

Probably 2, more than 1 - I can't run due to crap knees, feet - swimming bores the hell out of me, so how would I keep fit ?

If I were you I would modify your cycling - perhaps try off road, where you can layer up with body armour - or just go on very basic trails/canal paths.

I tried recumbent when I got OA in my hip - its seriously good fun, although I never got confident in traffic - I didn't find it difficult to learn either.

Be sure to keep us posted.

GWS.

I never thought I cycle much after losing my left arm to a Tiger.
Then I got a recumbent trike.
In the last 8 years I've done ~50,000 miles.
So if you go recumbent trike then you'll put a lot less stress/strain on your bad shoulder.
A bent bike can be a lot harder to learn to ride but also puts less stress/strain on your shoulder.

Luck .......... ^_^

Can we have the full tiger story ?

Siclo

Veteran
Many years ago I used my head to remodel a car, the resulting fractured skull and associated minor brain injury took a long time to get over but I got back on, once I'd actually redeveloped a sense of balance.

Your mind will take as much healing as your body. Eventually the desire to cycle will return and once it does confidence will come, you'll probably find you'll have a bit of mental wobble the first time you ride through there again, but again that'll pass.

GWS.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can we have the full tiger story ?

I think I remember the newspaper story about it being posted

dhd.evans

Veteran
Have had my fair share of accidents but I bit the back of a car in 2016 at 20mph. Split my face apart (torn lips from mouth to jaw), lost part of my jawbone and most of my bottom teeth. Continuing treatment has resulted in much dental work and cost.

Did i stop riding? Nope. Back on in 3 months.

Be resilient and GWS.

Top Bottom