Terrible bike accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Oh dear!

Just lost my job :sad:

I’m not surprised as I was a temp.
Oh, no... Did you break a mirror before you set off on that ride?

Hope your luck improves for you very soon. The laws of karma suggest you're due a lotto win, I reckon.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh dear!

Just lost my job :sad:

I’m not surprised as I was a temp.
Obviously not good but at least you can focus on recovery and rehab rather than worrying about getting back to work. I think some of my ongoing shoulder issues due to capsulitis were due to going back to my full time desk job too soon. Only 2 weeks off, as a contractor, no work no pay and bills to cover

GWS. And don't let this put you off. Yes, it was a bad crash, and yes you had painful injuries, but it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

I had a bad crash some years ago, partly my own fault as I was dashing home to watch Everton on telly (yes, I know), I cut a corner and met a car coming down the middle of the road in the opposite direction. I went smack bang into the front of the car, over the bars, bounced off the top of the windscreen, rolled over the roof and landed on the road behind the car.

Luckily I got away with a couple of popped ribs and a lot of bruising. The bike looked like a folded Brommie.

A month later, I bought my Apollo TDF, "Old Reliable". The day after I bought her, someone turned left on me without signalling as I was filtering, not my fault this time. Luckily no damage to me, just a small scuff to her.

We're still together, now. She takes me to and from work every day. I've not had a crash since, twelve and a half years.

When you're ready, get back on. Preferably when the sun shines.

Wot - you married the person who knocked you off your bike ?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Wot - you married the person who knocked you off your bike ?
Hee hee... I meant me and Old Reliable are still together.

I had to revisit my OP to check what I'd said because, spookily enough, the first crash was about a fortnight before I got married.

rnscotch

Veteran
I've had many, many offs been doored a few times also but worst for me was was slamming into a deer that ran across the cycle path, those things are the equivalent of a moving brick sh*t house.

GWS. Looking forward to similar surgery in a couple of months, for a walking-pace off that caused way more damage than originally thought.
I have already had one ride, very carefully, since the prang, and was quite happy, although I took a much more relaxed machine.

Randombiker9

I've had many, many offs been doored a few times also but worst for me was was slamming into a deer that ran across the cycle path, those things are the equivalent of a moving brick sh*t house.
You can avoid cars doors opening easily by keeping your distance from them can't you?

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Feeling a lot more positive now I’m over the morphine effects!! And only a couple more weeks till my visit with the consultant.

I’ve got much more movement in my arm and it improves daily. Lost my job but now I can concentrate on my degree and catching up with university work. I’m also walking my dog Lola three times a day again.

Thanks so much to everyone. When I first posted this I was in such a horrible place in my head, but I knew I didn’t want to feel my cycling life was over but couldn’t see how I could ever get back on again.

Xx

Top Bottom