Terrible bike accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yay!:dance:

Great post. You can't keep a good man (or woman) down :okay:

Glad you are starting to feel more positive and I am sure this will be the start of a steady recovery. Just a word of advice from my own experiences. This might ache and twinge for a year or two and you might begin to think it will always trouble you for the rest of your life. Suddenly you will one day realise you can't remember the last time it hurt, and actually you have to think carefully about which arm it was you injured.

gavgav

Guru
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Randombiker9

True, but that is not always possible, unless you stop every time there is oncoming traffic on narrowish roads with parked vehicles on your side.
Ussually when theres oncoming traffic you give way to oncoming veichles and sometimes it’s safer to stop e.g I have a narrow road loads of parked cars by a primary school if there’s a local bus or HGV etc... oncoming I stop and let the bus pass as there’s no way I’m going to squeeze pass a small gap and risk getting doored. Etc..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ussually when theres oncoming traffic you give way to oncoming veichles and sometimes it’s safer to stop e.g I have a narrow road loads of parked cars by a primary school if there’s a local bus or HGV etc... oncoming I stop and let the bus pass as there’s no way I’m going to squeeze pass a small gap and risk getting doored. Etc..
I'm not talking about getting to parked vehicles with oncoming traffic already coming at me. I was thinking more of already being past several vehicles with several more to go and THEN one or more vehicles appear in the other direction and squeezing me over. Crossing to their side of the road in an attempt to 'take the lane' from the oncoming vehicles would be unlikely to go down too well ... I have had drivers jump red lights at road works and drive straight at me before now so I definitely don't want to give the idiots an excuse to do it. (Apart from the fact that they might be busy texting their best mate at the time and not spot me ...)

Anyway, this isn't a thread about road positioning or giving way so we can continue that it elsewhere another time! :okay:

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
So I never thought I’d get here! Six weeks in and I’ve got my consultant appt on Monday. They’re doing an MRI scan first to check it’s all healed and I start my physio the very next day.

I’ve been getting the bus into uni and now I have lost my job, I’m forcing myself in every day, even if I have no classes! And it has helped me catch up with my subjects.

Hoping to start some turbo training next week and those who said that I would start to miss it and be itching to go out were right.

Thanks to everyone for giving me support. When I wrote this post I was in such a dark place and I turned to my fellow cyclists and you were all there for me. :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yay!:dance:

Great post. You can't keep a good man (or woman) down :okay:

Glad you are starting to feel more positive and I am sure this will be the start of a steady recovery. Just a word of advice from my own experiences. This might ache and twinge for a year or two and you might begin to think it will always trouble you for the rest of your life. Suddenly you will one day realise you can't remember the last time it hurt, and actually you have to think carefully about which arm it was you injured.
Funny I should post this just 2 days before I got knocked off myself.....
...... those who said that I would start to miss it and be itching to go out were right.

Thanks to everyone for giving me support. When I wrote this post I was in such a dark place and I turned to my fellow cyclists and you were all there for me. :smile:
Happy to help :hugs:

Randombiker9

Don't jinx yourself next time :tongue:. Luckily i've never been in an accident but i guess because most drivers are decent in Thames Valley area (has anyone had bad expreinces or accidents in this area? ) :smile: Well in my part they are.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member

Did you do much damage?

Johnno260

Veteran
ouch get better soon don't rush things, as the memory etc are fresh you don't want to make a snap choice on cycling.

I'm a complete coward with pushing fast speeds now, I look more for a good average speed, I got my boardman up to 45mph once, my dedicated roadie I have had no where near as fast! haha

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
ouch get better soon don't rush things, as the memory etc are fresh you don't want to make a snap choice on cycling.

I'm a complete coward with pushing fast speeds now, I look more for a good average speed, I got my boardman up to 45mph once, my dedicated roadie I have had no where near as fast! haha
It will be a few months before I’m cycling again, still got to put my bike back together! But hoping to drive again soon. Just glad I’m over the worst of it. Been awful!

Top Bottom