Terrible bike accident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
In the hope I want to cycle I have just paid and deferred my place for the London 100 now (hopefully) doing it in 2019.

Feeling much more positive about my cycling. It is something I really benefit from mentally and physically so would hate to think I’d never go out again.
Excellent :wahhey:

Tim Hall

I'm not going to regale you with my bad accident story as there are enough on here as it is.
So get well soon @Doobiesis and think positive. The better cycling months are upcoming. Wait for a nice warm sunny day and jump back on your bike and enjoy.
The tattooed beat messiah speaks much sense.

Jody

Stubborn git
GWS and don't write cycling off too quickly. Starting on a turbo is a good idea to keep active but if your worried about road rides stick some different tyres on (if your bike allows) and go an explore towpaths/bridleways etc at a gentle pace. It will help to build your confidence up without the added pressure of tarmac and cars. I have had a few offs over the years, things like concusion, broken arm, split the back of my head open, twisted ankles, bruised bones, few OTB's one of which was at a fair rate of notts but you have to keep going.

Take your time and see how you go.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Has anyone else had a bad accident and gotten back on?

I hope you have a speedy recovery! :cheers:I was hit by a car in April 2015,then i broke my hip in August 2016, then my leg 2 months later. The last 2 incidents were classed as cycling "accidents". I've tried the "get back on your horse" approach,but for me there'll always be that fear of being hit again or hitting the tarmac and having another break. I don't think you've mentioned your age. Age as we know has a lot to do with recovery time,and how we approach these things. The younger you are, the more likely you'll be to get back on your "horse". But i'm only assuming that as i didn't have any serious cycling incidents till i was 54 years old.

Alan O

Über Member
The first day in a week I’ve been ok since coming off that awful morphine! It’s a horrible place to be. Glad I’m ok now, arm pain is good at mo, getting by on just ibuprofen a few times a day. Even heading back to university next week. And I’ve sorted my physio for when my sling comes off in March.
Morphine can affect the mind in all sorts of weird ways - I felt horrible in a way I can't really describe when I had it a few years ago, and a friend's daughter suffered hallucinations and other strange psychotic symptoms!

Take care with Ibuprofen too - see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/weight-watchers-thread.5974/post-5156434

vickster

Legendary Member
This, make sure you only take the ibuprofen with food. Indeed, if you're taking it regularly, ask your GP for omeprazole or similar to protect your stomach lining (from a long-term NSAID user, over 2 years and counting :sad: )

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
This, make sure you only take the ibuprofen with food. Indeed, if you're taking it regularly, ask your GP for omeprazole or similar to protect your stomach lining (from a long-term NSAID user, over 2 years and counting :sad: )

Do not take the ibuprofen that regular, I’ve only taken two today. I would rather take the pain now than take anything for it. :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would rather take the pain now than take anything for it.
I thought that but was told: take the ibuprofen (having eased off the other stuff (codeine)) - it will help you recover (better sleep etc). So I did, cutting down as the pain wore off. Indoor stationary cycling was good before getting back outside.

Leodis

Veteran
"Has anyone else had a bad accident and gotten back on? I’ve even given some cycling bits away I’m that convinced."

For sure, I had a clipless moment, smashed my shoulder on the kerb, broke my Humerus, broke my shoulder and chipped bone from than somewhere down my arm and ripped off all the muscles and tendons from my shoulder, my arm was just hanging.. puke.. I had surgery on my arm with a pinned plate put in. You are right the morphine is horrid stuff, I thought I was clever with the pump all night, I didn't feel clever when they took me off the pump...

The pain is bad, the lack of sleep depressing, they said 6 months off the bike but I was back on it after 3/4 months. New bike helped me back

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
"Has anyone else had a bad accident and gotten back on? I’ve even given some cycling bits away I’m that convinced."

For sure, I had a clipless moment, smashed my shoulder on the kerb, broke my Humerus, broke my shoulder and chipped bone from than somewhere down my arm and ripped off all the muscles and tendons from my shoulder, my arm was just hanging.. puke.. I had surgery on my arm with a pinned plate put in. You are right the morphine is horrid stuff, I thought I was clever with the pump all night, I didn't feel clever when they took me off the pump...

The pain is bad, the lack of sleep depressing, they said 6 months off the bike but I was back on it after 3/4 months. New bike helped me back

My god that sounds bad! My arm wasn't hanging but I couldn't move it. That's a good idea re new bike actually as I have been thinking of upgrading to a carbon.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
First Sunday in Jan headed out to a frequent ride. Trying to clear my head for exams. On my way back on a fast part 25 mph my back wheel caught some mud and I could do nothing to stop having a very bad fall.

I fell in the middle of a road and tried to get myself out of the road but my arm was buggered and I couldn’t move. Luckily for me a car driver pulled in front of me so nothing would hit me. I was very impressed with how many car drivers stopped and helped me. A local shop owner taking my shattered bike leaving me her phone number. Another gentleman telling me I should not let this stop me from being a cyclist. And someone was on the phone to 999 and a lovely couple who waited with me whilst the ambulance was on route.

To cut a very long story short initially hospital said nothing broken sent me home, only to be called back next day as I had a posterior dislocation so was in hospital a few days they could not put it in
To place and wanted to operate on me. Surgeon not happy so sent me for an MRI scan and that is where the bad news gets worse. I had a 7cm tear in my rotary cuff, and the ligaments had torn away from my bone, the consultant made no bones about how bad this was. He said I had to have two major operations in one but cos it was a long surgery they could not carry it out for 2 weeks which was very bad as my arm kept dislocating and was very painful. Doctor put me on morphine for paiin.

Nothing prepared me for the pain when I woke up from a 6 hr operation Oh My God! It was the worst pain I’ve ever had! Was in hospital a week and that was 2 weeks ago. Having just taken myself off the morphine which was actually worse than the op itself, and took a further five days, horrible stuff.

I’m convinced I’ll never cycle again, my mum collected my bike which apart from a buckled back wheel has gotten off better than I have.

Has anyone else had a bad accident and gotten back on? I’ve even given some cycling bits away I’m that convinced.
GWS. And don't let this put you off. Yes, it was a bad crash, and yes you had painful injuries, but it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

I had a bad crash some years ago, partly my own fault as I was dashing home to watch Everton on telly (yes, I know), I cut a corner and met a car coming down the middle of the road in the opposite direction. I went smack bang into the front of the car, over the bars, bounced off the top of the windscreen, rolled over the roof and landed on the road behind the car.

Luckily I got away with a couple of popped ribs and a lot of bruising. The bike looked like a folded Brommie.

A month later, I bought my Apollo TDF, "Old Reliable". The day after I bought her, someone turned left on me without signalling as I was filtering, not my fault this time. Luckily no damage to me, just a small scuff to her.

We're still together, now. She takes me to and from work every day. I've not had a crash since, twelve and a half years.

When you're ready, get back on. Preferably when the sun shines.

Top Bottom