Terrible wind when cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Went out yesterday an hour or two after having some paté on bread for lunch. It was windy so I chose a route out in a north-westerly direction in order to get some help coming home. But the big problem was internal wind - I was doubled up with pain at some points and kept farting like a cart horse in an apple orchard. Luckily there was nobody behind me but it took the gloss off an otherwise good ride because the bent-over riding position was quite uncomfortable.

Anybody else suffer this problem? I seldom eat paté so can only think that was the reason.

Globalti said:
Went out yesterday an hour or two after having some paté on bread for lunch. It was windy so I chose a route out in a north-westerly direction in order to get some help coming home. But the big problem was internal wind - I was doubled up with pain at some points and kept farting like a cart horse in an apple orchard. Luckily there was nobody behind me but it took the gloss off an otherwise good ride because the bent-over riding position was quite uncomfortable.

Anybody else suffer this problem? I seldom eat paté so can only think that was the reason.

Problem!? ;)

No, although there are some food types I avoid before going out for a ride. A build-up of wind can be very comfortable, especially if it stays with you for a few hours.

Yes from time to time - when I am touring I keep my diet simple and boring during the day and eat the more exotic things during the evening when I have finished cycling.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I used to get something similar if I had eaten a large meal too late in the evening. Mrs Banjo reckoned she had to put guy ropes on the Duvet :-)

Davidc

Guru
If you ever have to take Metformin tablets you'll know what wind is really like, 24/7. It's probably banned by UCI for giving an unfair advantage (see post 5). ;)

Banjo

tyred said:
If you time it right, could it not give you a rocket like boost up a hill?
Trouble is the weight of the ignition system may out weigh the advantage on a low output day.:biggrin:

Darkmarkster

Über Member
I had some Prunes for lunch at work once and was blowing off like Ivor the Engine on the way home ;)

Banjo

lukesdad said:
Might come in handy, in a couple of weeks Banjo for those mountains do you have a formula ?:thumbsup:

No but I have a piece of string to lassoo the back of your bike :biggrin:I was thinking of drafting but this thread has me worried.

Top Bottom