Tesco Bag overshoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Had to cycle through torrential rain and gutters like river rapids yesterday .

Only 3or 4 miles but didnt want to arrive with wet feet and didn't have bag space for dry shoes and clothes.

Resorted to Tesco bags and rubber bands for overshoes feet bone dry .10 year old Altura rain overtousers kept legs nearly dry .old endura jacket not so great but good enough.

This was a down pour that made breathing difficult so not bad all in all .
And Ireland wanted the roof open......

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just been out for a walk and took this photo of the Ribble just downstream of the new bridge at Dinkley, built to replace the old suspension bridge that was damaged in the Boxing Day '15 floods. The river is still in flood but you can see how high it reached yesterday.

20190317_094038.jpg

Last edited:
Had to cycle through torrential rain and gutters like river rapids yesterday .

Only 3or 4 miles but didnt want to arrive with wet feet and didn't have bag space for dry shoes and clothes.

Resorted to Tesco bags and rubber bands for overshoes feet bone dry .10 year old Altura rain overtousers kept legs nearly dry .old endura jacket not so great but good enough.

This was a down pour that made breathing difficult so not bad all in all .
And Ireland wanted the roof open......

and if they're bags for life, swap them for new ones :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to use bits of cut out shopping bags under normal neoprene overshoes - they worked. Then got BBB Hardwear PU Coated overshoes, that were really good. Off road, then it's winter MTB boots, as overshoes get destroyed.

Was wet in N Wales yesterday, roads somewhat flooded in places.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Use those blue elasticated ones worn by builders working in new flats where the carpets have been fitted, cheaper than Tesco bags and not as pretentious as Waitrose ones! Mind you Waitrose have gone downmarket since they allowed all the riff-raff into their stores just to drink their coffee!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
(True story)

A fellow camper on a cycle camping trip, who happened to be a policeman, offered me one of those blue elasticated overshoes for my saddle, since rain was forecast.

Me: "Oh thanks - did you get these from the local National Trust house?"

Him: "Morgue".

bladderhead

I rode my recumbent bike to work. At home-time it was stair-rods. We had rolls of stuf a bit like clingfilm, for wrapping pallets of boxes. My colleagues wrapped me in that. I said it would make me look like a numpty but they said that riding a recumbent I could not look any more daft. I was soaked to the skin when I got home. And wrapped in wet clammy clingfilm. I sometimes wonder if I am as daft as I look.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've done the plastic-bags-over-socks trick a few times. It definitely helps in really bad weather.

Just been out for a walk and took this photo of the Ribble just downstream of the new bridge at Dinkley, built to replace the old suspension bridge that was damaged in the Boxing Day '15 floods. The river is still in flood but you can see how high it reached yesterday.

View attachment 457851
I didn't know where Dinckley is but I just checked and I see that I ride past it 2 or 3 times a year from Ribchester Bridge to Old Lango. Would it be possible/sensible/legal to ride a road bike from Dinckley and use the bridge and bridleway to get up to Hurst Green? I'd like to try Whalley-York-Langho-Dinckley-Hurst Green rather than the usual road route via Mitton.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Never seen any road bikes down there but I daresay you could do it. The bridge is wheelchair-friendly so could be biked. I'll go and test it when they finish the approaches and open it properly.

classic33

Leg End Member
(True story)

A fellow camper on a cycle camping trip, who happened to be a policeman, offered me one of those blue elasticated overshoes for my saddle, since rain was forecast.

Me: "Oh thanks - did you get these from the local National Trust house?"

Him: "Morgue".
Why's a resident of a morgue require overshoes. Planning on going somwhere?

Top Bottom